Double sling pick.

ROYCE

Do you think that K booms will eventually phase out the sticks in our industry? In other words should a guy with no boom opt for a big K?
Thats a good question...I also would like to know the answer to that. I wonder about capacity though. From some of the charts I have looked at, the same size stick crane verse K booms seams to be a lot less capacity in the K boom. Am I wrong with this thinking?

96coal449

That's what I was thinking. I thought in comparative boom lengths, a stick would prevail at that max horizontal reach.

allmark

Do you think that K booms will eventually phase out the sticks in our industry? In other words should a guy with no boom opt for a big K?
No I don't. Traditional stick cranes are profitable and efficient. There is a place for them as there is for kbooms. It all depends on the business structure, what works best for each individual company. They both have advantages and disadvantages. It depends on which is a best fit for a particular company.

allmark

Thats a good question...I also would like to know the answer to that. I wonder about capacity though. From some of the charts I have looked at, the same size stick crane verse K booms seams to be a lot less capacity in the K boom. Am I wrong with this thinking?
At a further horizontal reach kbooms will win out. At a shorter radius the stick cranes will generally have a greater capacity. This is based on acomparison for the cost of the machine.
Kbooms may have less boom length but can reach further radius with their length when it comes down to reaching past obstacles.

Jasonk

I'm also interested in capacity and efficiency using the kbooms to haul logs? Is it feasible to say for most decent size remove jobs you can do without the log truck. Back to royces point, with the labor pool shrinking how can more be done with less.....

limbcontrol

I'm also interested in capacity and efficiency using the kbooms to haul logs? Is it feasible to say for most decent size remove jobs you can do without the log truck. Back to royces point, with the labor pool shrinking how can more be done with less.....
We have a 16ft dump body on our 65 metric ton Kboom. IMG_20170111_104426875_HDR.jpg IMG_20170315_132513607.jpg

allmark

A truck like mine doesn't have much weight capacity left the way it's set up. If I switched out the lift axle out to a 20,000# axle I could get much more and then yes I could do away with the log truck for logs or brush. I have made a chip top for mine when I had a big chipping job that worked out also. It all deeeepends on what your local area/state dot requirements are.

MarkSmith

I use to do straight through cuts on almost every pick until i did a shelf cut good. Now i only do shelf cuts and cradle cuts, they keep the piece stationary until the climber is clear and allow the op and climber to adjust the lift pressure when you make the top cut on the shelf cut so the piece is perfectly set and ready for the pick.15035687_681757955334457_1610306951508393984_n.jpg