Double sling pick.

ROYCE

what about hiring a dedicated crane op/equipment guy and keep the climbing?
That would work...but I can not get guys with their CDL'S. However, if the climber has to be somewhere else..then the crane doesn't work.

96coal449

Royce what about scheduling your jobs like your renting it. Crane days the climber and operator stick together and bang em out. Other days on smaller jobs you can diversify.

ROYCE

Royce what about scheduling your jobs like your renting it. Crane days the climber and operator stick together and bang em out. Other days on smaller jobs you can diversify.
Thats what we currently do. Monday through Thursday I am on the crew and me and the climber/operator work together....but as the owner I am finding that my responsibilities pull me in other directions. Also, I have little flexibility with customers who might call on any given day and not want to wait a week or two before I get out to look at their work. As I am writing this I have 6 estimates to write up from my Friday's estates. Then today, I received three more calls that have to be scheduled for this next Friday...which already has three jobs for estimates scheduled to look at....you see my problem?
I guess I am looking to not be a major player on the crew. I want the large tree removals to be accomplished with ease and efficiency when I am not around. However, when I am around its just another added hand. I was thinning that the K-Boom would do that for me allowing my foreman to take the place of two positions on the crew. I appreciate the feedback.

Jasonk

Thats what we currently do. Monday through Thursday I am on the crew and me and the climber/operator work together....but as the owner I am finding that my responsibilities pull me in other directions. Also, I have little flexibility with customers who might call on any given day and not want to wait a week or two before I get out to look at their work. As I am writing this I have 6 estimates to write up from my Friday's estates. Then today, I received three more calls that have to be scheduled for this next Friday...which already has three jobs for estimates scheduled to look at....you see my problem?
I guess I am looking to not be a major player on the crew. I want the large tree removals to be accomplished with ease and efficiency when I am not around. However, when I am around its just another added hand. I was thinning that the K-Boom would do that for me allowing my foreman to take the place of two positions on the crew. I appreciate the feedback.
But what if the foreman leaves??? Back to square one. Maybe it would never happen, maybe he wins the lotto and goes to the Caribbean!!!!! The kboom may fix the problem for now but probably not permanently. Unless you decided to stop growing and be on site for the majority. Growing pains suck!!!!

ROYCE

But what if the foreman leaves??? Back to square one. Maybe it would never happen, maybe he wins the lotto and goes to the Caribbean!!!!! The kboom may fix the problem for now but probably not permanently. Unless you decided to stop growing and be on site for the majority. Growing pains suck!!!!
That would be the back up plan. If the Forman was to leave, I could still get the work done with myself as the climber/operator. Would be crazy for a while...but at least money would still be coming in to cover expenses.
If my Foreman left right now, I would be screwed. I would not be able to complete the jobs I have on the schedule. If I had a K-Boom, I could push jobs out, and get back into the saddle and accomplish jobs...not ideal, but could be done.
Also, I have become so frustrated with the lack of reliable employees...that I have a back up plan in my mind. That is getting a K-Boom...Like a really big one ....100T. Have it Custom built to be able to handle a few logs on the deck...raise my prices and go down to myself and two other ground personnel. I would make less money per year, but would also loose a lot of employee costs as well. With my current work load, I think I could still handle it. Maybe not even make less money.....maybe make more:)

craneguy1

Royce; you are aware that stick booms are available with radio remotes also right? Expensive as hell to add to your newly aquired crane i know...

ROYCE

Royce; you are aware that stick booms are available with radio remotes also right? Expensive as hell to add to your newly aquired crane i know...
I was not aware of that. Is anyone using one for tree work where they climb and operate.

craneguy1

I've run mine a few times doing storm work so i could help sling crap off of stuff i couldn't otherwise see and also ground work when short handed...have yet to do it climbing though...haven't ever been that short handed.

ROYCE

I've run mine a few times doing storm work so i could help sling crap off of stuff i couldn't otherwise see and also ground work when short handed...have yet to do it climbing though...haven't ever been that short handed.
But the option is their if you ever had to...so that is nice!! I could look into that as an option. Not really wanting to be short handed. But want to be prepared for if the day arrives.

ROYCE

Our crane actually has a radio remote. If we can ever catch a break I'll let you know how it goes!!!
No Kidding!! I would be interested in trying it out sometime. I will volunteer to come down and work with you guys for a day as a climber, or operator....or both with your remote:)

allmark

No Kidding!! I would be interested in trying it out sometime. I will volunteer to come down and work with you guys for a day as a climber, or operator....or both with your remote:)
Anytime you want to come here your welcome also. I also know of an Altec 26 ton rear mount with remote for sale and less than 3000 hours. The owner passed away if your interested

ROYCE

Anytime you want to come here your welcome also. I also know of an Altec 26 ton rear mount with remote for sale and less than 3000 hours. The owner passed away if your interested
Mark, I would really like to take you up on that sometime. Your actually not that far from me. My Foreman is a 56 year old tree man who is really amazing...but he can not wrap his head around the K-Booms. I understand why, because he has 30 years of running and climbing off of a traditional crane. I think if he could see how you do it(and myself as well) it would help us in determining our future goals.

allmark

In theory I'd like the best of both worlds .... two trucks. K-booms rule in their own way but a big stick can put you in the back yard from the street. Now with a grapple saw in the mix it gets really hard to choose one or the other.
K booms put you in the back yard too. Same as stick

96coal449

allmark, is there a point where a K-boom runs short on horizontal reach compared to the stick boom?
That was my thinking .... reaching out over a house and stretching the horizontal limits.

allmark

allmark, is there a point where a K-boom runs short on horizontal reach compared to the stick boom?
That was my thinking .... reaching out over a house and stretching the horizontal limits.
Booms are better designed for horizontal reach.
They are rated for horizontal and negative boom angles where most stick cranes are not. Especially when the jibs are deployed

96coal449

Do you think that K booms will eventually phase out the sticks in our industry? In other words should a guy with no boom opt for a big K?