Double-headed X-Ring splice

chris_girard

Looking for some written directions on how to splice up a double-headed x-ring sling with a eye splice on one end using Tenex rope?

Jimmycrackcorn

Looking for some written directions on how to splice up a double-headed x-ring sling with a eye splice on one end using Tenex rope?
Written as in manufacturer tried & true.... for a double headed? Sorry bruv.. dont think your gonna find that.. don't sweat it though, the double becomes pretty self explainatory if you stare at one long enough.. essentially you start in the middle of the cordage with two equal bites around the rings... But technically speaking, there's a few different ways to create one depending on what your trying to mimic.

So, explain what your looking for again... Double heads on one end & an eye on the other? In what configuration? Solid Eye to Eye, Ultra Sling, Adjustable Whoopie, Loopie..

I'm afraid you better post a picture example of what you want or we won't know where to start.

chris_girard

Basically. I'm looking to splice an eye-and-eye sling, except one end would be the double-headed x-rings on it. Not a whoopie or loopie.

Jehinten

Here is a set of instructions found in the splice rack.
Screenshot_20190225-055153_Samsung Internet.jpg

Then just a regular eye splice on the opposite end. You wont be able to do a locking brummel unless you un-ravel the rope and rebraid it on the eye. Personally for the trouble I'd do a standard eye and lock stitch it. I believe that test stronger than a locking brummel anyways.

Credit to @Boomslang for the image that I screenshot.

Jimmycrackcorn

Cool, thanks!
Just so you're aware,
The method J posted is one way of doing it, however if i remember correctly, the double headed slings your probably referencing are using a different method..
I'm racking my brain right now trying to remember, but the instruction your looking at requires you to "double wrap" the rings & then there's a cross in there somewhere keepin& them together... I cant remember the the reasoning behind boomsling's boomsling.. but i just remember it being a different method of sorts. Whether it allows for the easy addition of an eye at the other side of the sling or not, im not sure..

Different methods are going to have different end results as far as strength & ease of incorporating another feature on the opposite side.

Is this what you are shooting for, just minus the ring on the single side?

Jimmycrackcorn

Cool, thanks!
This is another way to achieve what u want...

However, you need a full splice bury in between the red lines. That is unless you think adding a lock stitch splice & a smaller bury will work for your needs & retain enough strength (lock stitch splice = weaving in & out of cordage like a brummel, but with only one tail.)

Regardless, to make it an traditional e2e style without the pockets you just create whatever bare eye you want, brummel it, then bury all the way to other side where you pop the buried tail out wherever you want to make your double head.. there would be no pockets, your have two rings & an eye at the other side. Physically, this is the easiest way to do it.. but not the strongest way to add the rings.

This method makes the bare eye the strongest & if you can retain 100% of strength on doubled side by using a manufacturer splice process that rates itself as that, then you should be golden.

All in all, the ultra slings are considered the "strongest" because they are using 2 strands of the cordage through the entire construction. However, if your adding something to the other end, like your bare eye, that rating can be affected. Hence the reason you see ppl making them backwards, starting at the other end, etc in order to have both ends useful, it's kinda like a compromise as to which way you go about it if your looking for overall strength over function.

Basically, with the way Treestuff, Sherrill, etc does the double head ultra, your not losing any strength on the ring side due to tapered buries, instead it's buried, brummeled, buried & doubled all the way over to the other side where it's terminated as to stands (ultrasling)... However, you want to add something to the other end so there's going to be a compromise for strength somewhere in there depending on how you build it, one side will not be as strong as the other. Maybe use the Sherrill/TS design on the rings bring that bury half way through sling & taper. Then do your eye with the other end, bring to middle, taper & create a decent crossover.. i assume that's how Sherril/TS make that Triple Ring design.

There's quite a few threads kicking around here on double head designs that could explain + show you much better than i can write on a keyboard.. hope some of that is helpful.

chris_girard

Yes, the picture that you posted with the rope eye on one end and the double xrings on the other is what I am looking to do.

Wasn't sure if its made from 1 or 2 pieces of rope?

Jimmycrackcorn

Yes, the picture that you posted with the rope eye on one end and the double xrings on the other is what I am looking to do.

Wasn't sure if its made from 1 or 2 pieces of rope?
The way the green one is created is still one peice of cordage.. i don't usually come across any that use two.. maybe once or twice but only because the person splicing felt it was easier to achieve the end product that way.

So whatchya think.. do you have a better understanding how these are created now? Like, can you invision the steps? Or is it still fuzzy? I was thinking of mocking something up with what i have here for you, but just haven't done it yet.

DaveyJones

The hardest part involved with making that double ring green sling was getting the rings to line up perfectly after each splice was finished. If one end was say half an inch longer then the other side then it wouldn't be loaded evenly. It might take a couple trys to get those rings in the perfect position. Fortunately hollow braid is very forgiving when it comes to splicing.

Ive made a number of ultra slings in this configuration and I feel like you get the most bang for your buck splicing it this way. The entire length of rope can be used as opposed to a traditional ultra sling where the tails need to be spliced together to create a termination which could end up using another 24-36 inches of rope in total depending on the line you use.

Another point to mention... I only used two brummels between pockets because i didn't think a third was necessary until i got to the last pocket. I could be wrong on this though.

Jimmycrackcorn

Ive made a number of ultra slings in this configuration and I feel like you get the most bang for your buck splicing it this way. The entire length of rope can be used as opposed to a traditional ultra sling where the tails need to be spliced together to create a termination which could end up using another 24-36 inches of rope in total depending on the line you use.
Hey Mr. Jones..
Isn't there something to be said about the strength though with this method in the Green sling? I clearly see the benefits in ease of splicing it, but doesnt the other method produce stronger results more in line with the intended benefits of using an Ultra to begin with?

The ultras are strongest because two lengths of cordage are maintaining the sling, whereas each eye/ring in the Green one are dependant on a splice.. Whereas the other end is a solid basket. You following my phsyco babble..? It's hard to explain..