DOT Stuff

Z'sTrees

In nc most cranes tag as equipment or "spec. Vehicle". Apparently even carrying your cribbage would qualify as hauling something and if you got the dot officer whose wife crapped in his cheerios he might throw the book at you.

pctree

Yes I have mine tagged with special equipment tags, $15, freaking crazy huh? I haul cribbing and mats and have assumed that was cool as they are part of the operation?? Don't really know and I'm sure most cops don't either....

climbhightree

This is interesting...it made me look into PA position on this.

Here it looks like it can only be "incidentally operated or moved over a highway". It does apear cribbing etc would be allowed, but I definitely would not be able to haul a log or anything else with this registration.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

monkeylove

The cost of the tags/registration.... is part of ownership come tax time. I'm not sure how your tax guy will write off a few thousand dollars in fines come tax season.

Steve Connally

Thats basically what virginia law says.

1. The definition "MOBILE EQUIPMENT" of DEFI- NITIONS is replaced by the following:

"mobile equipment" means a land vehicle (including any machinery or apparatus attached thereto), whether or not self-propelled, (1) not subject to motor vehicle registration, or (2) main- tained for use exclusively on premises owned by or rented to you, including the ways immediately adjoining, or (3) designed for use
principally off public roads, or (4) designed or maintained for the sole purpose of affording mo- bility to equipment of the following types forming an integral part of or permanently attached to such vehicle; power cranes, shovels, loaders, dig- gers and drills; concrete mixers (other than the mix-in-transit-type); graders, scrapers, rollers and other road construction or repair equipment; air- compressors, pumps and generators, including spraying, welding and building cleaning equip- ment; and geophysical exploration and well servic- ing equipment.

pctree

Are you sure you mean all terrain not rough terrain. Rough terrain aren't road legal where all terrain are. I guess I see backhoes and tractors driving without tags...

Guess I should start a separate thread but who tags their chippers? I never have in the 20+ years I've been in business

craneguy1

Chippers and stumpers dont need tags in ohio either, nor do air compressors. Rough terrains are trailered units...back hoes/farm tractors can be driven short distances with the all magical smv triangle...i thought your crane was an all terrain?

Steve Connally

In Virginia a chipper is equipment unless you carry stuff on it. So technically if you mount hand tools on it they could ticket you for no tags. Heard that straight from state police.