DOT Stuff

Steve Connally

trying to navigate the FMCSR and fuel tax stuff is a riddle. What are the rules for mobile cranes? Do you guys have to have a MC number and a fuel tax sticker? log books for driving and fuel? I'm looking at information for around 80000gvw. I can't tell what I have to register and also can't figure out the FET tax as well. It's all very confusing.

monkeylove

It's confusing as all hell Steve. If you can try calling your state and see what there rules are first. The woman I got in Pa. was very helpful as far as me needing a U.S. DOT Number but not a state MC number. As far as the FMCSR it is still very confusing and I am still wandering through all the mud. They have a book that is online printable only and it is the first question they ask when ever I call with a question. While we are in different states the guys you might want to have a phone call with are Pete or Rick. You've been to the crane schools so you know both guys and that they are both more than willing to share and help others.

I would certainly venture to guess that you will need a log book. You might get away with the short version since you will be traveling less than 100-150 miles and returning home each night. However I can't swear to that since you would be CDL and way over my weight class.

Steve Connally

Daily? According to what I've read I won't need to register for fuel tax sticker since I'm only doing biz in va and also don't need a usdot number. But the MC number is the question

Magnum783

Daily yes! I would bet you will need a DOT number due to the weight and the commercial ness of the business. MC number you prob will not as you are not a transport for hire.

Hoowasat

Steve - With a very capable crane, I would probably rethink the Virginia-only idea ... especially since Suffolk shares a border with North Carolina. I know a Peninsula crane & tree operator who has worked as far away as NJ. The hurricanes & nor'easters which only graze us hit other nearby areas pretty hard. Wouldn't you consider storm work in the OBX?

Steve Connally

I would consider OBX. However to start I'm thinking just VA. I'm not in a position to storm chase or go really long distances for now. In Virginia most of it is only if you leave the state. According to what I've found. No USDOT, IFTA, or log book requirements if I maintain the 100 air mile radius from my home even if it's across state lines. Realistically OBX is within 100 air miles from Virginia Beach.

monkeylove

See now this is why there is such confusion Steve. I was told if I cross state lines I needed USDOT numbers. I was also told that I need to keep a log book even with the Air Radius rule, it's just a much simpler log than over the road drivers must keep.

flyingsquirrel25

In pa in state over 17500# you must have USDOT number, if interstate (cross stat lines) the weight drops to 10000 for the requirement. Now what gets me is FMCSA is the org that tracks all your compliance, and F stands for federal... might dig a little deeper into the requirements I don't understand how states can be so different with their regulations. IFTA, is for tracking fuel tax on interstate travel so if you intend on staying in VA that shouldn't be needed.
The great thing is USDOT doesn't cost us a dime, becaue of what we are doing and hauling with our equipment. The UCR costs just over $80 a year. But if you get busted without, it really hurts.

Steve Connally

Curious to see if anybody has tagged their crane as mobile equipment. Seems that is an option in Virginia since I won't be transporting anything with the truck except the crane. Also reduces my yearly registration to $15.00 as well as does away with the property tax and the need for an inspection. Again this is my interpretation of the Virginia Law. I need to call the DMV commercial motor carrier services to figure all this out.

Lumberjack

Paul Cox has a crane in VA, may could shine some light.

Mine is registered on a farm tag, since it is specifically for tree work and trees are part of the farming/agriculture umbrella. Registration is $9XX, slight more than half the price of a business tag, and I can haul a trailer and other equipment.

Steve Connally

Paul's crane is an off road crane. In Va it would be different for mine as it would travel on the highway. Paul's doesn't reach highway speeds. @pctree

Lumberjack

Paul's crane is an all terrain crane, its speed is well above that that would qualify for a slow moving vehicle placard (orange triangle). It is a vehicle, not a tractor.