Documenting my hand-sewn eye process

FreeFallin

Coincidentally that is how I like to finish my ...
First of all, stop using my ideas before I tell you what they are... :nocausagracia:

Those look great, you are definitely taking hand sewing to the ultimate level of safety it can reach, I will be surprised if all these small enhancements along with your particular skills of execution don't perform equal or better than machine eyes.

Brocky

A couple pictures of the purple eyes to give the full story
IMG_0929.JPG IMG_0931.JPG

Fun project until I had to redo the second eye. Luckily it was only one pass to pull, but the core had to come out in pieces but didn't want, hence the loss of composure!

bonner1040

It is the opinion of respected industry experts that stitching rope together by hand without the use of CNC sewing machines, 3 sigma testing with calibrated test beds, and many other precautions is reckless.

Sewing isn't like splicing, there is very little data on hand sewn pieces, and with respect to the efforts of few what data there is isn't really a drop in the bucket compared to machine sewn terminations and hand splicing.

yoyoman

It is the opinion of respected industry experts that stitching rope together by hand without the use of CNC sewing machines, 3 sigma testing with calibrated test beds, and many other precautions is reckless.

Sewing isn't like splicing, there is very little data on hand sewn pieces, and with respect to the efforts of few what data there is isn't really a drop in the bucket compared to machine sewn terminations and hand splicing.
So let's start getting some documentation otherwise we'll just keep slamming the concept.

bonner1040

The process isn't reliable. There is no easy way to provide instructions and make sure it's done correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moss

@moss
What's up with breaking some of those second run eyes???
You said a few months a year ago. ;)
I finally have enough of a collection of retired cordage with sewn eyes to send to Richard Mumford for pull testing. It will be interesting since they're all very well used. As mentioned earlier all my sewn eyes well outlast the cordage and appear to have zero degradation.

I have no incentive to break my new sewn eyes, they're hard work to make and I want to use them. Personally I have nothing to prove, I have complete confidence in them.
-AJ

moss

The process isn't reliable. There is no easy way to provide instructions and make sure it's done correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the technique was taught in a workshop/class similar to the splicing workshops run by treeStuff and Fids and Fibers I think excellent testable results could happen. As I've said before, I believe there's only a handful of people who have the patience and persistence to do it. Not a big market when thinking about an economically viable workshop scenario ;-) I think we've already agreed to disagree.
-AJ

Worthaug

If the technique was taught in a workshop environment similar to the splicing workshops run by treeStuff and Fids and Fibers I think excellent testable results could happen. As I've said before, I believe there's only a handful of people who have the patience and persistence to do it. Not a big market when thinking about an economically viable workshop scenario ;-) I think we've already agreed to disagree.
-AJ
Plus, it takes people to program, design, and build the robots/ machines that do work for us. Don't ever underestimate the quality and precision of a craftsman, EVER!!!!!

Reed Wortley
CA# SO-6953A
CTSP# 01739

moss

I'm curious though, why is it so difficult to find test results for machine eyes? There seems to be a fair amount of variability in machine eyes from different sources. I don't doubt their strength (too much) but if you could point to test data it would be very helpful. Thanks.
-AJ

Worthaug

Why is it that I trust my own splices but will not trust Petzl's rope bridge (an industry example of poor quality sewn eye construction)?

Reed Wortley
CA# SO-6953A
CTSP# 01739

Worthaug

Machines do t have the ability to care... even their sewn eyes need to be inspected and tested by humans...

Reed Wortley
CA# SO-6953A
CTSP# 01739

SomethingWitty

I wonder if the respected industry experts have tried hand sewing or are just rejecting it because it is beyond their abilities.
We could also throw out there that splicing and machine stitching were both safe, even before there was much data from testing them.
The nature of the beast is not affected by how much it is studied.

Thank you, moss. I get that it takes forever to make a pile of eyes and you don't want to build them just to destroy them.

TimBr

I finally have enough of a collection of retired cordage with sewn eyes to send to Richard Mumford for pull testing. It will be interesting since they're all very well used. As mentioned earlier all my sewn eyes well outlast the cordage and appear to have zero degradation.

I have no incentive to break my new sewn eyes, they're hard work to make and I want to use them. Personally I have nothing to prove, I have complete confidence in them.
-AJ
Moss, I'd climb on one of your sewn eyes any day of the week.

Tim

Have I missed discussion on terminating the stitching twine? Any good pictures or videos on how to finish the stitch? I am going to practice with some non life support pieces first.

Thanks!