DIY equiptment and tools

Discussion in 'Rigging and Roping' started by Tyler Dilley, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Eduard

Eduard Member

13mm and 14mm. The one I showed in the photo is actually just one I'm building for myself. The unit that I think the market needs would have a smaller winch, suitable for the rope diameters you mentioned and with a single speed, power ratio about 18:1. I would like it to be no more than half the retail price of the other larger units if possible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2. 96coal449

96coal449 Well-Known Member

I have a GRCS and still would be interested in your smaller version. Nice job Eduard. Keep us posted of your progress.

Eduard likes this.
  3. Tyler Dilley

Tyler Dilley New Member

Looks great man! Can't wait to see some videos of it in action... any idea when it might be finished?

4. Eduard

Eduard Member

the one I'm making for myself is almost finished. However, it isn't actually the unit I'd like to deliver to the public. I'm using a second hand harken 44 which is very similar to the winch used on the grcs. the device i actually want to make will have the same basic design but feature a smaller winch such as the andersen 18st.
    then I'll want to test it, maybe lend it out to a few different companies for feedback and also get an engineer to look at it... and then break test one

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5. beastmaster

beastmaster Active Member

When I first started climbing trees, we made all our wire core lanyards with cable and 3 strand rope. I still use a 23 ft homemade cabled lanyard 15/16 in. 3 strand Braided splices on each end, for those monster Trees.(haven't used it in several years) You can really whip that beast. I feel as safe with it as any store bought one.
    Before rope slings we would carry several sizes of homemade cable eye slings for attaching blocks to trees. When you did neg. Rigging you had to be sure to leave strategic stubs down the trunk.
    Point is it all worked. First fig. 8 I ever used was home made. Grapples too. It was common to make what you needed.

6. FreeFallin

FreeFallin Well-Known Member

Used to go repelling all the time as a teen, with friends or the boy scouts, "harness" meant tie a big loop in some 1" webbing and pull it around your waist and crotch with a biner. A second carabiner with a lock bar was the entire system for 100' + cliffs, no PPE. I cringe now looking back, we should probably all be dead.

7. 96coal449

I remember a Swiss ''seat'' in grade school. We had what was called project adventure in phys ed. It was about 12' of 3-strand rope. We wrapped it around our waist, and wove it around our legs, and finished it off by wrapping the rest back around the waist. Tied that off with a square knot, and clipped the biner around the waist wraps. Kinda comfortable for sitting in a rope saddle.

FreeFallin and beastmaster like this.
  8. Jehinten

Jehinten Active Member

I've now added a rope wrench to my DIY tools. I have been climbing on the HH2 for a while now and have been thinking about trying the wrench. The design to build is credited to another member on here. I stumbled across it the other day and liked how simple it was to build

Attached Files:

SomethingWitty, FreeFallin and Brocky like this.
  9. RopeShield

RopeShield Well-Known Member

lock your saw in and quick release plus really slims so as to avoid hook and grab and scoring of rope
    Need a screw and tarp bungee n ball loop

Attached Files:

Tyler Durden and Jehinten like this.
  10. Babberney

Babberney Well-Known Member

not so much made as assembled, but I always use a loop of webbing, a rated pear link, a micropulley, and a pear biner for false crotch/friction saver. Unlike the fixed-ring straps they sell, I don't have to feed one end of my line through the big ring before pulling it up--I just clip in with the carabiner.

Tom Dunlap likes this.
  11. Chad Gallion

Chad Gallion New Member

12. Chad Gallion

Chad Gallion New Member

Would love to see and have instructions on your bigshot build. I'm on a budget lol

13. southsoundtree

southsoundtree Well-Known Member

Build an APTA

14. Tyler Dilley

Tyler Dilley New Member

IMG_7943.JPG IMG_7948 2.JPG IMG_7948 2.JPG IMG_7943.JPG

Here is the Big Shot (REALLY BIG) ha I had a piece of steel that was already bent in a 90deg. so I decided to use it. I would like to hack off some unneeded material from the "arms" and the base because it's so damn big and heavy. But I flip the extending lopper pole upside down and throw it on the bottom. Along with that I also made a hydraulic claw for our Dingo Bucket. It works fairly well but really want a BMG eventually!

15. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

2nd pic looks like the "instrument" @JeffGu misplaced back in Tijuana. Or was it Spokane?

hseII likes this.
  16. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Hmm. I seem to remember mine having turn signals and an overall fuzzy, rounded appearance. But that might have been the object of my affections, not the device.
    Still, there is an uncanny resemblance. And, it was Tijuana. I still have the tattoo.

17. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

Ok...explains this bizarre donkey tattoo on my back. Still doesnt explain how Mr. Dilley ended up with it but it's still pretty cool.

18. New2trees

New2trees Member

IMG_2625[1].JPG
    Was too cheap to shell out for a big shot, so I fabbed up my own out of schedule I PVC (they did not have any schedule II at Home Depot. I know PVC is dangerous particularly schedule I, so one of the things I have done is to make the air chamber twice the original volume and also to make a barrel extension, this way I can easily hit 80ft shots on 60psi which is much less likely to cause problems than 120psi it required originally. The barrel extension slides on an off so storage is easier, and I have a portable compressor so the larger air chamber is not an issue to fill.
    PS I still always wear a face shield just to be as safe as possible.

Also use the plastic box which was free for my throwline, not really a fabrication..just cheap and works great.
    IMG_2625[1].JPG

Attached Files:

FreeFallin and Brocky like this.
  19. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Dug up enough stuff laying around to make another speedline setup for light rigging, using a Rig 'N Wrench to control the load. Not going to use that 12-strand for the control line, that's shown in the pic. It was just handy. Going to use some Fly rope and a Petzl I'd below the RnW to hold the tail and allow easy one-handed lowering.

Speedline-RnW-03.jpg

Magnum783, New2trees and Jehinten like this.
  20. 96coal449

Jeff your quite the innovator with solo rigging methods. I'm watching you .... :cool:

JeffGu likes this.