DIY equiptment and tools

TheTreeSpyder

@ NOOB>>New Out Of the Box(techie b-acronym; acronym maid after term)
Not really a tool as you ask;
but my golden find is a process to try to apply in as many forms as possible
>>as most efficient power 'purchase' against load etc.
>>many climbers already use it daily, but yet not fluent with how many different directions to take it..

Also, using same compounding of equal and opposite reaction back in to equation
(rather than allowing equal and opposite forces to be expressed outside of equation against load)

HD rare earth magnets are free and most power for weight, very flat and stream lined, have mounting holes.
>>Rare Earth mags good for many things, including fishing wires thru walls etc.
>>highest rated n52 class can lift 1000's x own weight!
>>larger mags can be dangerous, pinching hand, breaking fingers if between mag and target
>>chip easily, warning against swallowing as pieces can attract in intestines, pinch and kill w/gangrene etc.!!!
Can't imagine overhead liability in home-maid stump grinder!

Last edited:

KevinS

DIY gear works great if you watch your bend radius, swl, etc. But making gear to have gear is just lugging weight from a to b. DIY gear should first have a need then a purpose then be built as simple strong as it should be and safe as humanly possible.

I found one of my favourite DIY slings I ever made was light duty maybe 18" long friction saver. I used a large 1/2" dis. quick link on one end with a double fisherman to secure it and the other I had a 3/8" dia. Lg steel ring on the other end with another double fisherman it made a smooth rr fs. I used 1/2" db. Very lightweight and basic. It is a small bend radius but I did a lot with a 1" nylon loop runner sling and a biner so 1" bend radius on a 1/2" line isn't 4:1 but on light stuff it was fine.

Bigger I had a mix of xrr slings, blocks etc. I also made a 10' 3/8" tenex spider leg, tenex whoopies, loopies, dead eyes, etc.

Need it, want it, build it and go

Smaller or bigger than the grcs?
I've been daydreaming about a pocket sized one since I saw the smaller sailboat winches on a sailboat.
smaller!
it's actually got a winch that's almost the same size, but is a much smaller and lighter unit overall.
after this I'll make an even smaller one which the everyday tree guy won't hesitate to pull out of the truck for your standard day to day tree job.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SomethingWitty

smaller!
it's actually got a winch that's almost the same size, but is a much smaller and lighter unit overall.
after this I'll make an even smaller one which the everyday tree guy won't hesitate to pull out of the truck for your standard day to day tree job.

Sounds awesome.
It's so damned heavy and bulky that I don't use it some days that I really might save some time or trouble. I also rarely call for it when I see that the next cut or two could really use it, unless it is a huge benefit.

Sounds awesome.
It's so damned heavy and bulky that I don't use it some days that I really might save some time or trouble. I also rarely call for it when I see that the next cut or two could really use it, unless it is a huge benefit.
do you wanna buy one?

SomethingWitty

do you wanna buy one?

Potentially, eventually.
Building a traveling hotel room on a truck right now that is soaking up my funds.

Gotta see a WLL and maybe actually lay hands on one if it's anywhere near the price realm of lifting/lowering devices that are out there now.