DIY equiptment and tools

I hope this is allowed in this thread, anyways I was looking to see what tools people have made on your own. I'm not against spending money certain tools, but I do enjoy building and fabricating stuff. So lets see what you guys have made! For example, I built my own bigshot just the other day and it works great, I also came across the DMM throw hook and was thinking about trying to make a similar one.
Thanks,

JD3000

He drank away all memories of how to assemble his "tools" and "implements."

Also local PD has suggested that he cease gesturing and grunting at pedestrians
while aloft with such "tools" and "implements" as it was found to be "inconsistent with local mores and values."

SomethingWitty

I hope this is allowed in this thread, anyways I was looking to see what tools people have made on your own. I'm not against spending money certain tools, but I do enjoy building and fabricating stuff. So lets see what you guys have made! For example, I built my own bigshot just the other day and it works great, I also came across the DMM throw hook and was thinking about trying to make a similar one.
Thanks,
I have a bunch of homemade things. Here's my chainsaw mill setup.

Attachments

SomethingWitty

Was that picture taken at Guantanomo Bay? It looks like a more lethal variation of a waterboarding setup!
Looks like it works, though. I might have to try it...
I tried to make a hormone, once. Didn't work the first few tries, but I finally figured out that if you don't pay her...

:whistle:
:D it's extra ugly to prove a point. The one at the store was like $150! So I bought the truest 8 foot 2x4 and 2x6 in home depot, 2 feet of all thread and some nuts and washers. Blam.

That saw is worthless on job. It was an 036 that has been run over and repaired twice before I got it, and the muffler doesn't sit right so it burned up the chain brake, burned a hole in the plastic right under the handle so the exhaust burns your hand, and burned the oil cap off. Also the anti-vibe things are off, so the whole powerhead is crooked.

Attachments

96coal449

:D it's extra ugly to prove a point. The one at the store was like $150! So I bought the truest 8 foot 2x4 and 2x6 in home depot, 2 feet of all thread and some nuts and washers. Blam.

That saw is worthless on job. It was an 036 that has been run over and repaired twice before I got it, and the muffler doesn't sit right so it burned up the chain brake, burned a hole in the plastic right under the handle so the exhaust burns your hand, and burned the oil cap off. Also the anti-vibe things are off, so the whole powerhead is crooked.
Shame ... one of my favorite saws. MS362 now? Anyone know if they're chipped now?

RopeShield

1. Use ali telepoles cause they are easy to repair and rigid unlike fiberglass = shatter. I made a few light wt push n pull heads by tripling up the ali and bolt with pounded down wing nut.
  2. Bigshot tube cut w hot knife and poke with hot bolt and jam a wood dowel bit in the end and you got a real secure gaff cover
  3. Saw tether and secondary bungee security strap so the saw if snagged doesn't jump out or catch your rope. This is gold if you like a leg scabbard
Hope you have a safe and satisfying career Tyler (y)

Attachments

hseII

Do You just pop off the plug wire when you are done?

Edit;
I see it now.

Hey, if it does it, who cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hseII

1. Use ali telepoles cause they are easy to repair and rigid unlike fiberglass = shatter. I made a few light wt push n pull heads by tripling up the ali and bolt with pounded down wing nut.
  2. Bigshot tube cut w hot knife and poke with hot bolt and jam a wood dowel bit in the end and you got a real secure gaff cover
  3. Saw tether and secondary bungee security strap so the saw if snagged doesn't jump out or catch your rope. This is gold if you like a leg scabbard
Hope you have a safe and satisfying career Tyler (y)
2 ideas stolen.

Thank You.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jehinten

I don't have any pictures but I have made a porta wrap, picaroon, can't hook, throwing hook, rig-n-wrench. Probably some other items as well that aren't coming to mind. And several things have been re-purposed and modified as I was starting out until I could get a better built commercial product.

Pelorus

I put a handle in this thing last week.
Fletcher Christian (not the arborist; the other one) gave it to one of my long dead ancestors in exchange for a chicken and two breadfruit.

IMG_20170119_164816581-2004x2672.jpg

SomethingWitty

I put a handle in this thing last week.
Fletcher Christian (not the arborist; the other one) gave it to one of my long dead ancestors in exchange for a chicken and two breadfruit.

View attachment 42200
I don't even know what that is, but I've recently discovered the joy of hanging tools. Every old axe head I can find gets a new handle. Got some osage wood drying that I'm planning to use for the nicer ones.

96coal449

I don't have any pictures but I have made a porta wrap, picaroon, can't hook, throwing hook, rig-n-wrench. Probably some other items as well that aren't coming to mind. And several things have been re-purposed and modified as I was starting out until I could get a better built commercial product.
I forgot all about my SS, scheduled 80, and 3/4'' round stock porty. I've had it for 10yrs and it was just named "the tank" last fall by a buddy. It's about 10'' long and heavy.

Last edited: