Digital tachometer vs phone app tachometer?

LordFarkwad

Have any of you tested out otherwise compared a standalone digital tachometer with a tachometer phone app? Just wondering if, when attempting to tune a carb, I should go purchase a tach or trust the output of a software phone tach.

Reach

I have never tested a phone app, but I would be a little skeptical of using one, as I do not trust the frame rate on a phone camera to be high enough to accurately read rpms on an engine. Perhaps you could test it first?

If you point a photo tach at a fluorescent light, it should read 7200 rpms. That should tell you if your app is accurate or not.

LordFarkwad

Oh no way, you are right - if it uses the camera, there's no way it'll be accurate. But I thoughts it would be doable with audio alone.

Reach

Using audio is not something I had thought about; I suppose that could work but I would want to test it somehow to be sure. How much does a decent tach cost? Might be worth buying one if you plan to tune more than one engine.

LordFarkwad

Using audio is not something I had thought about; I suppose that could work but I would want to test it somehow to be sure. How much does a decent tach cost? Might be worth buying one if you plan to tune more than one engine.
I only have one engine to tune, so far - the rest tune themselves (Mtronic) :D