Designing a chip box. Input appreciated

chiselbit

Looking for ideas. I work in the Sierra Nevada mountains and foothills, roads are steep, twisty and often narrow so I need to keep the length short. New box will probably be 13’. I’ve been running an 11’ arbortech with L boxes on a gmc 5500. Buying a new kenworth T370 with same or similar wheelbase. Maneuverability is key but I need to pull heavier loads. I’ve found a truck body company that does real nice work and they’ll build anything I want, as this is going to be a significant purchase I don’t want to leave anything out that I’ll regret later. What are some of the features you’ve found to be most beneficial or just plain “cool”? What do you wish you had on your chip box?

DTS

There are plenty of designs and material of boxes steel,aluminum. I’d go look at the major builders boxes and pick what you like and what would best fit you. I personally like extra high double tailgate and roof vents good luck with your endeavor.

Last edited:
Hey DTS, what is it you like about the extra high tailgates?
just holds more chips. i like the standard height for reaching in to remove tools. Order your ken worth with an automatic and get the allison 3000 series cause of the hills and get a 7:17 rear ratio. you need that low rear for the hills,weight of the chips,and the chipper. get a 84" cab to axle and keep the body 12' long but make it 72" high to stand up in. i did the same thing you're doing with an international truck.On the pass side of chip box i welded 4 steel hangers and put a24' ladder on bottom and carry a step ladder on top of that. Weld some d rings on top of the chip box front and rear to carry extra long ladders in a pinch. the ladders on the side is so much easier with everyday tree work. You don't have to constantly up up and down on roof.My chipper body has a 3" catwalk on bottom so the ladder sits flush with body and doesn't protrude off side of truck. also,if you could build the body out of aluminum that would really help with the weight but that body with hoist would be $20,000-25,000.

Last edited:
With a truck like that, I'd want to be able to use it dual purpose. I'd want to build the box/bed heavy enough for logs but with a removable top to be able to chip into it. We did this with the bed on our F550. It's really nice to be able to take the top off to use it as a dump truck. Being able to load logs into it with the crane is really nice as well.

Gorman

Maybe make sure the corners aren’t sharp 90 degree angles so it’s easier to clean out and your don’t have chips lingering and rotting the steel. Don’t bother with vents, they don’t work unless the sides are steel mesh. Make the floor heavy duty so you don’t have washboading.

+1 on the 72" height with the 12' box and shorter wheelbase. +1 on removable vented lid also. Go aluminum, it will last longer, look better and weigh less. You could get the standard height doors and have 2 locking mesh doors that close in the area above the standard doors, making for additional secure storage when empty. LED strobe lights and scene lights mounted on the box will make you visible from space. The scene lights are great for night storm work and the strobes are great for traffic setups on those twisty roads. Pruner box that holds a ladder and can fit a power pole saw is a good option. Ladder rack on the roof that can hold a 16' orchard ladder would be an option I would pick but it depends on the work you do and if you even use that.

Check out this site for some pictures of nice builds: http://eloquip.com/product-lines/chipper-bodies/chipper-body-photo-gallery/

I don’t think a 24’ ladder fits inside the pruner box it’s a tad too long. Any locking toolbox is great. Two 4’ underbody toolboxes and the pruner box. When you order your kenworth will it have airbrakes? You should get air brakes. If you get air brakes order the truck with the air tank under the cab so you can have a clean frame for the toolboxes. You can order a heavy cdl truck and have it factory drated under the cdl weight legally. That way you have the best of both worlds, air brakes and anyone can drive it. With the air brakes you can have an air supply coupling at the air tank for flat tires and cleaning saws.

chiselbit

Good stuff. Yes it will have air brakes, good idea mount tank under cab. I like the removable top idea although I don’t know how I’d remove it. I don’t have any kind of hoist. Definitely strobes and work lights. Lots. And an inside box for power polesaw. Long ladders on top. I’d like to see a picture of the additional mesh doors that @Reliable tree man mentioned, that sounds interesting. L boxes and as many underbody boxes as will fit. It’s coming together (on paper) thanks

Good stuff. Yes it will have air brakes, good idea mount tank under cab. I like the removable top idea although I don’t know how I’d remove it. I don’t have any kind of hoist. Definitely strobes and work lights. Lots. And an inside box for power polesaw. Long ladders on top. I’d like to see a picture of the additional mesh doors that @Reliable tree man mentioned, that sounds interesting. L boxes and as many underbody boxes as will fit. It’s coming together (on paper) thanks

LED strip lighting inside all of the storage cabinets is a must! Makes it bright like daytime inside the cabinets so no fumbling to find anything when working at night.

Here is a build with the mesh gates I mentioned:

B6AF2BFC-EA79-42FA-AA7F-989946987D17.jpeg

chiselbit

Oh hell yeah! I need those lights. And I’m liking the mesh gates. Be nice to lock up saws, I tend to bring a lot of saws. Kind of like a golf bag, a saw for every situation, drivers, limbers, putters, trimmers, and end up carrying all to the backyard to keep the tweekers from scoring a big sack.

That truck is not mine but belongs to the municipality I work for (hence why it is so disorganized). They get all of their forestry bodies made by the same company here and they all come with those rubber mesh mats to keep stuff from sliding around. The mats are made of of squares that snap together so you can customize the size to fit whatever cabinet. I’m not sure of the name of them though.

pctree

On our truck we have 4 foot 45 degree sloped cap at front of bed then the other 14 foot is just a mesh tarp with pvc pipe structure. Takes a minute for one guy to pull off to load logs by crane.
I will try to get pictures. Years ago I was going to have an aluminum bed made, wish I had....

RopeShield

Fking Truck.jpg pull two latches and fold down, top bow just lifts out of bow reciever. Bow holds tarp up like Pauls. 2nd Pic of additionod extruded ali and puck board for better chip containment no more tarp using 3 sheets of curragated poly that slides to cover top fully. Like the minitec for easy build or add ons and adjustments. IMG_20180813_121848.jpg

Last edited: