Decayed White Oak...interested to hear how you would have bid it

This thing is a monster, and already shedding limbs due to significant fungal decay. Fortunately, there are no real targets to speak of beneath it, and I’ve already managed the customer’s turf damage expectations, so we can punish the ground mercilessly.

Planning to get a line up as many times as it takes to pull out the crispy tops in compression to neutralize the threat from above (redirect down low), drop the rest of the laterals from the bucket, and then flop the stem.

All the wood goes.

Where would you have come in at on this one?

ATH

What equipment do you have
Does that affect your bid???

If you do it with a grapple saw, a giant front end loader and tub grinder, your per hour rate is very high, but your hours on the job are very low. If you are using a handsaw and pickup only, you will spend a lot of time on it...but you better have a very low rate!

With the caveat that I don't do big removals, I'll guess $2200. But out of curiosity I looked up cost of living...looks like your location has quite a bit higher cost of living index that my place. So maybe increase that by 25% which puts it a $2750.

(honestly...I typed that then the message popped up that "other messages have been posted" before I hit "post" - what a lucky guess!!!)

If you do it with a grapple saw, a giant front end loader and tub grinder, your per hour rate is very high, but your hours on the job are very low. If you are using a handsaw and pickup only, you will spend a lot of time on it...but you better have a very low rate!

With the caveat that I don't do big removals, I'll guess $2200. But out of curiosity I looked up cost of living...looks like your location has quite a bit higher cost of living index that my place. So maybe increase that by 25% which puts it a $2750.

(honestly...I typed that then the message popped up that "other messages have been posted" before I hit "post" - what a lucky guess!!!)
Yeah, we’re “diet West Virginia” over here...about 2 miles from the highest per capita income county in the entire US. Good guess nevertheless!

Bango Skank

Do you need to rig anything? Looks like room to drop a big top towards the house. Four good guys familiar with that equipment could make it disappear in under 6 hours without the stump.

Depending on the severity of the decay, I'd maybe add to the quote. I'd bid it at 2800$ full cleanup with the stump.

Jem4417

In this situation yes. It’s not in a rear property or around any type of property where enough room is a concern. The company with large equipment can be more competitive in this bidding situation because they have no restraints as far as room goes. You could set up a bucket truck , chip truck and two dump trucks with a bobcat all within using distance of the tree. They could blow that out in a hard five hours and do another three hour job on a good day assuming they have a substantial back log because they are able to afford all the equipment

Tree_Frog

6 hrs x4 = 24 man hours
$2200/24 = $91.66 hr.

No dump fee (25,000# wood?), richest county, hum? Friends and family rate. ok.

$125 x 24 = $3000 plus dump.

ATH

In this situation yes. It’s not in a rear property or around any type of property where enough room is a concern. The company with large equipment can be more competitive in this bidding situation because they have no restraints as far as room goes. You could set up a bucket truck , chip truck and two dump trucks with a bobcat all within using distance of the tree. They could blow that out in a hard five hours and do another three hour job on a good day assuming they have a substantial back log because they are able to afford all the equipment
Right...but they need to charge a higher per hour rate to pay for that equipment. I'm not objecting to it - just saying that is what it is. To the client though, it shouldn't matter in regards to price. I don't care how shiny or big your equipment is. I care how cheap you can do the job.

5 hours at $440/hour = 2200.

a smaller crew with less equipment takes 15 hours. just under $150 per hour also comes out to $2200. The advantage of the larger equipment to a consumer is that you are out of there sooner. That may be worth a little more money.

Until you get into specialized equipment that can do things that can't otherwise be done, in my opinion, end of job pricing should be similar regardless of what equipment you are using. The other exceptions would jobs that are too small to justify moving big equipment

Jeff Kowell

This thing is a monster, and already shedding limbs due to significant fungal decay. Fortunately, there are no real targets to speak of beneath it, and I’ve already managed the customer’s turf damage expectations, so we can punish the ground mercilessly.

Planning to get a line up as many times as it takes to pull out the crispy tops in compression to neutralize the threat from above (redirect down low), drop the rest of the laterals from the bucket, and then flop the stem.

All the wood goes.

Where would you have come in at on this one?

Looks like a sycamore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyingsquirrel25

We would bid this for 6 hrs but charge days rate as it would be a hassle to find the perfect local job to finish up the day with. Seems like a fairly simple tree, did 2 very similar this summer. Open space, dead (one was decayed pretty good) and just precipitated large pieces. We would probably plan on putting the lift and mini on it if access was available and leave the trucks on the hard road. But if your weather is anything like ours this summer handling mats, dealing with water and mud all takes time so it’s best to err on the side of caution.

I’d have bid $2500-2900, depending on trips to the dump. I’m a 2 man crew with just a dump trailer and pick up, I still contract off others more than I work my own jobs.
I’d have rented a mini, free fell everything into the yard, flopped the spar and seed and straw when I was finished. This is assuming we can pull the dump trailer up to the tree, and the tree was sound enough to climb the main spar and drop limbs on the way

Reactions: ATH