Dead Wood

Tuebor

I just read this blog and really wish I had not. Another clueless "expert" posting poorly written misinformation.
Oh my, that was terrible to read. At least they managed to use punctuation, capitalize, and break it into paragraphs.

Treetopflyer

Hey, keep studying trees, they take a lifetime to begin to understand fully or at least quite awhile if your a real deep thinker. Probably longer, really.. do yourself a favor and go back to the drawing board on that blog in my early opinion whilemi breezed over it.. from a professional stand point, it's not where you want it to be..
I left two large "dead" limbs on a tree today , one on another property. They didn't need to come down by my discretion at this time.. that doesn't mean to say I know any better, just that it doesn't have to be pushed as a sell all the time. Sometimes it is better to leave deadwood in its rightful place, not always.. best of luck and stick to the endless study of trees.

RBJtree

I don't really understand why there would ever be a reason to leave hazardous dead limbs in a tree. Explain to me how it could help the tree. Assuming the cuts are made properly and you are not cutting into live wood. It might not help the health of the tree, but I can't see how it would hurt. If the tree is located near where people live, walk, kids play... its called a hazard prune for a good reason. I know a person who's kid was hit in the head by a falling limb at a pick your own apples farm. It fractured his skull and bruised his brain. He came out ok in the end, but it was very close.

Treetopflyer

I don't really understand why there would ever be a reason to leave hazardous dead limbs in a tree. Explain to me how it could help the tree. Assuming the cuts are made properly and you are not cutting into live wood. It might not help the health of the tree, but I can't see how it would hurt. If the tree is located near where people live, walk, kids play... its called a hazard prune for a good reason. I know a person who's kid was hit in the head by a falling limb at a pick your own apples farm. It fractured his skull and bruised his brain. He came out ok in the end, but it was very close.
Was it dead dead or just dead :frenetico:...my limbs weren't dead dead dead , just cellular lack of water dead no leaves on them ..ya know looked like a winter limb ,, no leaves , not ready to fall dead..even though some you think are ready are pretty damn hard and very firmly attached despite the dead look.. I sorta joke with the deadness level, but seriously this is a deadwood conversation. Let it all all hangout out I say..
P.s. Glad that kid made out alright.. I have kids too I think we all think about that sorta thing , ya jnow safety first.. I see more green heavy limbs that concern me as much as any dead one , but I can't cut them all, nor would I want to..

cerviarborist

Very stable member
I'm a big fan of dead wood pruning with a throw line. If that piece won't give out with me reefing on it, and it doesn't offend the clients aesthetic sensibilities too much, dead wood is of great importance to myriad other life forms for harborage, and as substrate for a wide ranging food web. I can always come back in a year and try it again.

RBJtree

Was it dead dead or just dead :frenetico:...my limbs weren't dead dead dead , just cellular lack of water dead no leaves on them ..ya know looked like a winter limb ,, no leaves , not ready to fall dead..even though some you think are ready are pretty damn hard and very firmly attached despite the dead look.. I sorta joke with the deadness level, but seriously this is a deadwood conversation. Let it all all hangout out I say..
P.s. Glad that kid made out alright.. I have kids too I think we all think about that sorta thing , ya jnow safety first.. I see more green heavy limbs that concern me as much as any dead one , but I can't cut them all, nor would I want to..
I do often recommend to a customer to let a "freshly dead" limb go for a season to see how it does. I know they will just be dead, but it gives the tree a chance to begin to compartmentalise the dead and see if more dies. Once the compartmentalization process has begun, cut it.

evo

Not all dead is hazardous. I have a pine in my front yard where a lead broke a few years before we moved in. It’s 8 years later, and still solid as a rock.

Mass dampening, checking the movement of other limbs in a windstorm (limb clash). Habitat, introducing air, dying, and chemical changes into the heart wood. On and on.

Remember ‘hazardous’ means high likelihood of failure which can negatively impact a target, where the consequences of which are deemed intolerable to the property owner/land manager.

I’ve been winching out dead tops and leaders from alders, aka fracture pruning. Reducing the range of the remainder to fall short of targets. It’s very educational, predicting where the piece will break, and getting fooled.

RBJtree

Not all dead is hazardous. I have a pine in my front yard where a lead broke a few years before we moved in. It’s 8 years later, and still solid as a rock.

Mass dampening, checking the movement of other limbs in a windstorm (limb clash). Habitat, introducing air, dying, and chemical changes into the heart wood. On and on.

Remember ‘hazardous’ means high likelihood of failure which can negatively impact a target, where the consequences of which are deemed intolerable to the property owner/land manager.

I’ve been winching out dead tops and leaders from alders, aka fracture pruning. Reducing the range of the remainder to fall short of targets. It’s very educational, predicting where the piece will break, and getting fooled.
Some good points. I never thought of some of those aspects in that way. Thanks.

On the subject of dead wooding or crown cleaning. There are a lot of tree services in my area that will just grab on to the dead branches with a pole saw and snatch them out. I have even seen some You Tube videos where the climber just can not get to the tip because it will not support the climber to make the pruning cut.

I had a Laurel Oak today that needed some dead wooding over the house. Some of the branches were about a 1 1/4" in dia. and 6 to 7 ft in length. The branches would not hold me and I did not have a good angel from the branch that I was on to make a proper pruning cut. I had no way to get to most of the cuts so............. I tossed a throw bag, secured the branch, and used my pole saw to snap them out.

I hate not being able to make good cuts, and have often wondered if it does more damage than just letting the branch shed on its own. Of course I can not leave a dead branch over a target.

Have any of you all snapped out branches that were dead that you could get to? I know.......... I know........... we all have, but If you have, did you ever see if it caused more decline to the branch it was attached to?