Dead Wood

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tom_otto, May 4, 2008.

1. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

I think this has more to do with things drying out quicker, no?

2. treehumper

treehumper Well-Known Member

Wall 4 closing the wound. the compartmentalization will happen behind the deadwood. There's plenty of wood eating critters in water, it's got a lot to do with temperature along with oxygen.

3. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Makes sense nothing is worse than cool and damp actually to hot and damp maybe

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  4. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Yeah, lot of stuff goes after trees, especially fruit trees, if they're in constantly damp, humid conditions. They need oxygen at night, but photosynthesis doesn't take place in the wood, so that's not an issue with the dead wood thing.

5. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Right, I was saying deadwood for airflow help

6. RopeShield

RopeShield Well-Known Member

These thoughts I am sharing come from our knowledge of osmosis and diffusion. Movement of material to reach equilibrium. The air and wound closure is well documented. Posted an academic study of it year or two ago here on the buzz. Correct me if I'm wrong.

7. RopeShield

Try to remember deadwood. Zero cellular growth=zero production of photosynthates etc this means less h20 movement.
    Water will still move in deadwood and dissolve compounds. That is my thinking. A constantly super saturated piece of wood. Something entirely different and rarely encountered in trees

8. RopeShield

Should add the importance of water to deposit material. Like the stalagmites in a cave. Compounds that can't move and would be left behind at a wound.

KevinS likes this.
  9. DSMc

DSMc Well-Known Member

Deep sigh.... wall 4 and the closing of the wound are not the same.

10. RopeShield

Oh yeah, another thing I forgot to mention is the air at the wound starts a new chemical reaction at the newly exposed deadwood ed point. Drying is a physical reaction but there is also a chemical reaction occurring.

aarondconway likes this.
  11. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

I'm about to start on a chemical reaction, myself. Might even spark some unexpected new growth in dead wood.

It involves a bottle of rum I found in a kitchen cabinet.

12. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Mmm my favorite. Just remember if you drink rum with breakfast you're not a drunk, you're a pirate.

13. guymayor

guymayor Well-Known Member

"Also how can a dead limb wick away the trees resources like leaving your faucet running."

Gotta agree with evo here; as the limb dies it dries, and the vessels shrivel/get plugged so the mechanism for reverse flow is inconceivable to my brain.
    Which is no guarantee that it can't happen. :loco:

14. RopeShield

Water moves through wood in all directions. The material may also move cellularly or even intercellularly as gas

15. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

16. RopeShield

Resource translocation for removal of a living limb, not a dead limb done in stages is chock full of variables to control. Should really focus this to deadwood as in no active cellular division. Once transpiration is interrupted soon thereafter the flow of material will come to a crawl. Thinking about the pull of material from the roots being redirected or stopped or slowed and the same with the stop or slowing down of photosynthates it really can't matter much at all wether the limb is removed over a given length of time? months yrs? dunno
    Who wants to start the discussion. I have my texts at the ready and Am prepared to one hand them.
    Just going think about this not terms of limb on a tree but more like a seedling, it may make it easier to study/follow flow.

17. treehumper

My bad, I really oversimplified things.

18. guymayor

guymayor Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but the need to draw a sharp division between the 2 seems more academic than practical. Exterior closure, interior closure, both parts of the broadly observed process of...

closure. Seems kinda like strictly demanding that the D in CODIT means Decay, and not Dryness or Dysfunction or Damage. Or am I missing some essential detail?
    Deep inhalation... :)

jmaher and treehumper like this.
  19. DSMc

DSMc Well-Known Member

I doubt it, more likely just want to argue the point. But what is there to argue? Shigo always separated the two and he is the one that named, Wall 4. They are after all two entirely different processes. Wall 4 does not move once formed. Wound closure will continue to lay down new cells for as long as it takes.

20. treehumper

Yes, it is a distinction that may in general and for the layman not mean much but for a discussion such as this needs to be clarified.