Daily rate freelance

Smurph86

What do you guys charge to climb for other companies. I usually go between 250-300 /day. Just curious

CanadianStan

What do you guys charge to climb for other companies. I usually go between 250-300 /day. Just curious
Have you got insurance? Are you qualified? Are you productive? What area are you in? Have you got your own rigging gear? Is your skill set required where you are?

Start with a rate and that you’re happy with, and see whether your local market can give you enough work, or conversely if no one is hiring you at Y rate then maybe try X rate.

RBJtree

I have paid climbers about that much. I charge more myself, but I rarely do any climbing for other companies. When I first started on my own, I went as low as $200 a day when I needed the work. Now when I do, my rate is my man hour rate for my company... or more. It has to be worth it to take time out of my own work.

Mitch Hoy

$65/hr or $300 cash per day. I started freelancing @ $40/hr. You have to start low and build up clients, then weed them out over time. If you ask the big bucks you are going to do big boy stuff all the time, though.

Mitch Hoy

I should also add that that has always included insurance (liability + work comp) and gear to rig out any tree, conventionally, or by crane.

Mitch Hoy

Also, companies willing to pay well are usually also more realistic about scope of work. For some reason the lower paying ones are the jobs that you show up to and find a stone dead 4’dbh monster over multiple houses and want you to rope it down in 3 hours before a rain storm... Happened to me last season.

$65/hr or $300 cash per day. I started freelancing @ $40/hr. You have to start low and build up clients, then weed them out over time. If you ask the big bucks you are going to do big boy stuff all the time, though.
I$300 cash being your minimum charge, or a cash vs check discount?
$65 at 8 hours is $520

Sgfinco

I'm at $400 per day for the winter during the busy season I'll be at $500. I'm also qualified, certified, insured, carry workers comp, show up on time, etc. I have saws, and rigging to remove just about anything thrown my way.

Jem4417

I'm at $400 per day for the winter during the busy season I'll be at $500. I'm also qualified, certified, insured, carry workers comp, show up on time, etc. I have saws, and rigging to remove just about anything thrown my way.
Yea this is what it should be. I could see 300-350 on a super easy and or short days but top climbers around my way with an 8 hour work load where all the production is relied on the climber, 4-5 is what people get my way. That’s based on without insurance. If your a contract climber with insurance, all the gear and skill, I’ve heard even 6 or 7 for the worst of the worse trees

Sgfinco

Yea this is what it should be. I could see 300-350 on a super easy and or short days but top climbers around my way with an 8 hour work load where all the production is relied on the climber, 4-5 is what people get my way. That’s based on without insurance. If your a contract climber with insurance, all the gear and skill, I’ve heard even 6 or 7 for the worst of the worse trees
I'm looking to get in the 6-7 range, just need to build a clientele and see what the market will bear. Only been contracting full time since the start of the year. It's insane to me that people will contract at as little as $300. You're not just climbing and walking away, you're assuming risk and you don't get the benefits of being an employee, health care, paid vacation, sick days, and workers comp coverage.

A general rule of thumb is a contractor should charge two to three times what and employee makes hourly.

If you're contracting at $300 per day your worth $13-$19 per hour as an employee.

CanadianStan

I'm looking to get in the 6-7 range, just need to build a clientele and see what the market will bear. Only been contracting full time since the start of the year. It's insane to me that people will contract at as little as $300. You're not just climbing and walking away, you're assuming risk and you don't get the benefits of being an employee, health care, paid vacation, sick days, and workers comp coverage.

A general rule of thumb is a contractor should charge two to three times what and employee makes hourly.

If you're contracting at $300 per day your worth $13-$19 per hour as an employee.
I've also been contracting since January 2019 ... enjoying it so far! Charging out at $400 per day at the moment, seeing how my schedule goes throughout the rest of the year

Interesting rule of thumb ... not sure most people would accept that however. I'm a little under $50 per hour but I do operate by a day rate ... it's working so far. Many fully-paid, shorter days.

Sgfinco

I've also been contracting since January 2019 ... enjoying it so far! Charging out at $400 per day at the moment, seeing how my schedule goes throughout the rest of the year

Interesting rule of thumb ... not sure most people would accept that however. I'm a little under $50 per hour but I do operate by a day rate ... it's working so far. Many fully-paid, shorter days.
Rule of thumb from other industries.

It's nice showing up doing what you're good at and trying to teach a bit along the way. Best of luck man! I've been trying to keep my schedule at two weeks any further out it gets hard to deal with weather. I'll send a text to the companies I work with every other Monday to build a schedule.

Smurph86

Where are you located?