Creatures in Buenos Aires

mrtree

Some creatures on an Albizia outside of Siga de al Vaca in Buenos Aires. Known to cause damage to tips of new growth.

mrtree

Let me try again, I have been away (including visiting Frank Wild's new grave beside Ernest Schackleton's grave).

Will be in Buenos Aires again in January and will try for a few photos from Carlos Thays Botanical Garden

mrtree

Okay Tom why can I not load photos?

Off for more sailing so I will fix in January when I am back to land

yoyoman

[ QUOTE ]
Some creatures on an Albizia outside of Siga de al Vaca in Buenos Aires. Known to cause damage to tips of new growth.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't want to interfere in your conversation but I would love to see the photos too. Is this near the restaurant Siga La Vaca near Puerto Madero? Love the tree in St. Martin park. What are the trees with the large cotton ball seed pods?

Attachments

mrtree

I am back in Buenos Aires tomorrow and will try to load the photos again. Been busy with whales and penguins.

The photos are from Siga la Vaca in puerto madero. My favourite restaraunt is at the other end of the port (Happenings).

Ceibas in Buenos Aires are either C. speciosa (pink flowers) or C. chodatti (yellow flowers). Neuvo de Julio is lined with speciosa.

The trees in Plaza San Martin are primarily tipuanas with a large Ficus macrophylla and a severly wounded Grevellia sp.

mrtree

I hav tried repeatedly to add photos and am getting no where. Sorry guys, lots of interesting bugs and trees in Buenos Aires.

Headed to Mendoza tomorrow for wine and the mountians.

KTSmith

Independence Square in the center of Mendoza has some nice large and spreading Tilia...Too bad they aren't native! And they're water hogs! I don't think I saw any native plants in parks/gardens in Mendoza.

While in the city, check out the way deep gutters on the sides of city streets. Also the way they spray a light mist of kerosene on the sidewalks to keep the dust down!
Yes, definitely wine and barbecue (parrillada) land with very late dinners. As a non-drinking, vegetarian, early-to-bed gringo, I was always out of sync!

Keep your eye out for Andean Condors in the hills. Just saw them in the distance myself, but pretty neat. Are you going past the Aconcagua glacier? See it while you can, melting is happening at a pretty good clip! Climate change and timberline stuff was what got me out there, more than 10 years ago now.

mrtree

I am in Mendoza and already have been checking out the trees. The five squares are beautiful and the shade on the streets cast by planes trees (amongst others) is very welcome.

Yes wine and parrilla are on the list. Ojo de bife along with morcilla, chorizo and maybe some rinon or mojallacas.

No need for glaciers I have been watching glaciers in Antarctica and Greenland so everything is a bit tame by comparison.