Crap it finally happened. Wrong tree removed.

evo

By the way Evo you are a nice looking tree
Thanks my friend, Douglas fir.. Called "The Jump Off Tree" . Not on my Island by near by. I'm guessing older than you, by a few centuries. There is a surface root which travels aboot 30' along the stone where it then nose dives into a crack.020.JPG

Stephen Moore

Thanks my friend, Douglas fir.. Called "The Jump Off Tree" . Not on my Island by near by. I'm guessing older than you, by a few centuries. There is a surface root which travels aboot 30' along the stone where it then nose dives into a crack.View attachment 53051
very Japanesque! Almost mistook it for a Monterrey pine in the thumbnail sized photo. Kinda karate kid style! But better..

southsoundtree

So 11 years ago, I now recall, I'd let my groundie 'firewood-down' a spar for experience. He chunked down 40' or so of this doug-fir, about 12" DBH, amongst many other of the same age and general size. When he got down to 8', he climbed down a couple feet and took off his gear, putting it in the truck.

He's quit smoking cigarettes, trying to be healthier, and easier to breath. He did use nicotine for his ADD.

I'd told him if he ever is not feeling safe about anything, DON'T!!! If he should be done cutting for the day or whatnot, I'd thank him for informing me and using good safety judgment. No problem.

After he'd taken a break, I'd asked him to knock down that last bit of spar.

He was mentally worn from the experience, but didn't tell me that he was done cutting for the day.

He went to dump over the spar. He was 1/3 into the 12" DBH tree before the other groundie got him to stop cutting into a tree, not his spar. Busy road on one side, with primaries, house on the other side, so no place it could really safely have ended up. I climbed an adjacent tree, right before dark, banging it down quickly, so as not to leave it overnight.

He became an "at-work smoker" for the duration of his time.

evo

So 11 years ago, I now recall, I'd let my groundie 'firewood-down' a spar for experience. He chunked down 40' or so of this doug-fir, about 12" DBH, amongst many other of the same age and general size. When he got down to 8', he climbed down a couple feet and took off his gear, putting it in the truck.

He's quit smoking cigarettes, trying to be healthier, and easier to breath. He did use nicotine for his ADD.

I'd told him if he ever is not feeling safe about anything, DON'T!!! If he should be done cutting for the day or whatnot, I'd thank him for informing me and using good safety judgment. No problem.

After he'd taken a break, I'd asked him to knock down that last bit of spar.

He was mentally worn from the experience, but didn't tell me that he was done cutting for the day.

He went to dump over the spar. He was 1/3 into the 12" DBH tree before the other groundie got him to stop cutting into a tree, not his spar. Busy road on one side, with primaries, house on the other side, so no place it could really safely have ended up. I climbed an adjacent tree, right before dark, banging it down quickly, so as not to leave it overnight.

He became an "at-work smoker" for the duration of his time.
Please tell me more about nicotine and ADD..

I get the context of your story, and thanks for watching out for me. This wasn’t an act I did. Perhaps I went a little ADD and let my guy know all my thoughts, and the there was a obviously a miscommunication. Which I take responsibility for. As the business owner it’s on my ass, and I’m ok with that.

I feel that I have a very good grasp of when to call it for myself. I do make it clear that the employees have the same right and are encouraged to do so. Perhaps I need to do a better job at that.

Objectively the tree was a piece of crap, and the clients are going to be much better off. I’m out a few 100, but on the scope of what can go wrong that’s hardly even a ding.

Stephen Moore

I have really come to love the Depends Adult Diaper. Being able to piss myself while aloft has added untold years to my climbing career. The added padding is just the icing on the cake!
I use Goats Milk to control chafing too!