Cranes over power lines

Jem4417

Does anyone know if your allowed to make picks over energized wires, including primaries (single phase and or three phase) if you still keep ten feet apart? I thought you were not allowed but I heard of it being common for others. Thanks for the help in advance

flyingsquirrel25

I believe the M.A.D for cranes is 20’. We have done it but try to avoid when possible. If we do we consider it a critical lift and all hands are paying strict attention to what’s going on!

Stephen Moore

If workers comp or BC Hydro caught a crane operator doing that, the company would be shut down pending an investigation in this province. The protocol when suspended work over energized lines with non insulated equipment is that The power company be notified of the work, and the power be deactivated for the duration of the work. In the case of non emergency work it may be required to schedule the outage and inform the public.

flyingsquirrel25

I believe there may be wording about grounding the crane as well to protect any workers. The best way to get a definitive answer is to look at the newest version of the ANSI Z133.
Only reason I mention the grounding is I'm pretty close to the owner of our crane rental company and he was asking me about Lightning protection supplies to ground his cranes on a couple PECO projects

christreez

I believe there may be wording about grounding the crane as well to protect any workers. The best way to get a definitive answer is to look at the newest version of the ANSI Z133.
Only reason I mention the grounding is I'm pretty close to the owner of our crane rental company and he was asking me about Lightning protection supplies to ground his cranes on a couple PECO projects
I been wondering why everything on my truck has big honkin wire from piece to piece and points coming off the bottom of the truck that would be good grounding points. All makes sence now!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk