Crane slings

I run a crane and 80% of our work is tree removals. I was thinking on getting 16mm bull rope spliced eye in one end with a 30 ft and two 20 footers. We use full loop slings mostly but was thinking on implementing these in for some of those really dead trees ecspecially the ash trees with EB. What are your thoughts on the spliced eyes?

deevo

I run a crane and 80% of our work is tree removals. I was thinking on getting 16mm bull rope spliced eye in one end with a 30 ft and two 20 footers. We use full loop slings mostly but was thinking on implementing these in for some of those really dead trees ecspecially the ash trees with EB. What are your thoughts on the spliced eyes?
For multi point rigging, you should be using them all the time, then switch to the round ones for wood picks. We have those plus 2 longer ones if needed for longer horizontal branch picks. I have the teutelberger @Mark Chisholm slings, they are great. Make sure they are rated and stamped.

For multi point rigging, you should be using them all the time, then switch to the round ones for wood picks. We have those plus 2 longer ones if needed for longer horizontal branch picks. I have the teutelberger @Mark Chisholm slings, they are great. Make sure they are rated and stamped.
Keep an eye out for the new kit coming real soon. Maybe next month. I'll be sure to post it.

Steve Connally

Here's my take on the sling options. I lean towards the Wesspur Quantum X Crane man slings and here is why. Although I like Mark's slings, there are a few issues with them. After repeated use they have to be unwhipped, milked, and re whipped again because the core fibers lump up under load. Mine look like the core is made of golf balls. They are also super stiff out of the box. They need to get a few hard days of work before you can get them malleable. Don't get me wrong, I still use them and have for a few years. They work better for me depending on the set up because they are shorter than the Quantum X. I do personally prefer to use the QX whenever possible because of the length, soft hand, weights in the tail, and mine are spliced onto a ring so there is no issue with angles on the hook. The beauty of the 2 is I can choose what the best is for the current application. I'm not poo-pooing Mark's slings. I just feel like the others are superior, albeit his are more wallet friendly. My major gripe is the lumps in the core. I don't have time to go through the process to fix that frequently.

So my initial post was written when I really didn't have time to write an indepth review. I hope this will serve the OP a little better with some pros/cons instead of my original post that basically said absolutely nothing. @Mark Chisholm better?

Last edited:

deevo

Mark, although I like your slings, there are a few issues with them. After repeated use they have to be unwhipped, milked, and re whipped again because the core fibers lump up under load. Mine look like the core is made of golf balls. They are also super stiff out of the box. They need to get a few hard days of work before you can get them malleable. Don't get me wrong, I still use them and have for a few years. They work better for me depending on the set up because they are shorter than the Quantum X. I do personally prefer to use the QX whenever possible because of the length, soft hand, weights in the tail, and mine are spliced onto a ring so there is no issue with angles on the hook. The beauty of the 2 is I can chose what the best is for the current application. Don't be sensitive Mark. I'm not poo-pooing your slings. I just feel like the others are superior, albeit yours are more wallet friendly. My major gripe is the lumps in the core. I don't have time to go through the process to fix that frequently.

So edit scratch wesspur for the win and add Hey you can find them at Wesspur. Better?
Good points Steve, mine are well worked in, but yes they do come pretty stiff outta the package.

climbhightree

Do you have any issues with the lumps?
I have not had lump issue with mine, but they are not used daily or even weekly.

Personally I do feel they are a bit on the short side (less of an issue when using a kboom). Stiff out of the box? Yes, but never been a major issue.

Definitely would luv to see the new ones, or specs on what is different. To bad the new slings won't be at the Expo to check out. I'm in need of new ones (I accidentally cut the long sling so now they are all the same length

Crimsonking

Small derail- I see that most people only use three slings for balancing. The concept makes sense, and I’ve done crane rigging that way- until I worked with a team that kept 4-5 slings on the hook. They sometimes only used 3, but often used more. The reasoning was (as mentioned above with the round sling) to support the weight centrally and not necessarily depend on the balanced branches to carry the load. The more I worked with them, the more I came to prefer their method. It does require more tying (time), but adds control and (perceived?) security. Thoughts?

climbhightree

Small derail- I see that most people only use three slings for balancing. The concept makes sense, and I’ve done crane rigging that way- until I worked with a team that kept 4-5 slings on the hook. They sometimes only used 3, but often used more. The reasoning was (as mentioned above with the round sling) to support the weight centrally and not necessarily depend on the balanced branches to carry the load. The more I worked with them, the more I came to prefer their method. It does require more tying (time), but adds control and (perceived?) security. Thoughts?
How are you putting 4-5 slings on the hook without having them stacked on each other or bad angles? Or are you talking about balancer slings off of a sling (like sherrill crane slings)?

We just had some 5/8 slings made up with splices in one end with cover around splice ends. We love them so far but only use for balancing. We use one loop sling with shackle taking most of weight.

I love your slings mark it’s just we have 8 cranes and price wise this was a better route for us. Looking forward to seeing the new set coming out.

Crimsonking

How are you putting 4-5 slings on the hook without having them stacked on each other or bad angles? Or are you talking about balancer slings off of a sling (like sherrill crane slings)?
Educate me about bad angles on the hook. They all fit without being on top of each other, and I’m not familiar with “bad angles” on the hook. Is it to do with potential to slip out or put weight on the hook gate? I’ve never seen that or even the potential.

treebilly

The hook is designed to be loaded vertically. Side loading is not recommended. The ones to the outer edges would most likely be balancers so it really shouldn’t be an issue but if something were to go wrong that’s where big brother would look

hseII

Buy Some.

3/4”, 7/8”, etc.

hseII

Educate me about bad angles on the hook. They all fit without being on top of each other, and I’m not familiar with “bad angles” on the hook. Is it to do with potential to slip out or put weight on the hook gate? I’ve never seen that or even the potential.
Don’t go past the lines on the hook: NoNo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro