Crane Operator Certification

mikecutstrees

Sorry for the delayed response I have been extremely busy.
Royce: If you hold a NYS Crane Operator Certificate of Competence, You do not need an NCCO CCO or other.

mikecutstrees; There is no exemption in NYS for trees(if you know of any I would love to see it)

Here is a response from the department of labor that took over a year and many emails and calls to get.

From: "Rapacciuolo, Vincent R (LABOR)" <Vincent.Rapacciuolo@labor.ny.gov>
Date: August 17, 2015 at 9:45:22 AM EDT
To: "allmarktree@yahoo.com" <allmarktree@yahoo.com>
Subject: FW: Crane operator certification for tree removal

Dear Mark:

In response to your question on requirements for certification for crane operators, please see below.

New York State General Business Law section 482 (1) states: “No individual shall …, operate a crane,… without holding a valid certificate of competence issued by the commissioner of labor.” In addition, Title 12 New York Code Rules and Regulations (NYCRR) Section 23-1.4 (a)(13) states in relevant part that: “All work of the types performed in the construction, erection, alteration, repair, maintenance, painting or moving of buildings or other structures, whether or not such work is performed in proximate relation to a specific building or other structure…“(emphasis added).

The operation of a crane in NYS that presents a hazard to the public or any manmade structure would require a certified operator in New York state.
If unsure you may consult the local industry inspection office of the department of labor to review your specific worksite.

Information on how to become a certified crane operator is available on the Department of Labor’s website.

If you have any question or need any additional information please call me at (518) 457-3530

Vincent Rapacciuolo PE
Program Manager 2
New York State Department of Labor
Harriman State Office Campus
Building 12, Room 154, Albany NY 12240
P: (518) 457-3530 | C: (518) 598337-7206
www.labor.ny.gov | Vincent.Rapacciuolo@labor.ny.gov

pctree

I'm down in Tampa Florida taking a 4 day course from crane tech on the basics which will allow me to take a 3 day course so I can become certified. Man it's slow going, didn't learn didly today.....

Steve Connally

Thats disappointing. At least you are missing the coldest virginia in years! did you bring Sam? I may have tabled the crane op for the year and will be doing CTSP and TRAQ this year. Not sure. Can't do it all.

pctree

Unfortunately Sam is at home keeping the fire burning so the kids don't freeze!

I really hate being away from home.

pctree

Steve, just finished the crane tech 4 day course. Main thing I came away with is the fact that arborists are exempt from having to have the cert.

I got some books and study material, call me if you want to borrow them

allmark

Steve, just finished the crane tech 4 day course. Main thing I came away with is the fact that arborists are exempt from having to have the cert.

Which cert did they say arborist are exempt from? OSHA requirements?

pctree

No not OSHA .. according to them we don't need to be NCCCO certified by November like the construction industry does. It seems like the test is pretty easy to pass but I just don't know if it would benefit me in any way. I have a very low tolerance for red tape so try to avoid it at all costs

allmark

My experience with the NCCO tests and classes (I've done 3) is they teach you what you need to pass the written test but provide little teaching to pass the practical. If you want to get there certification its ok but not much else to learn from them as far as actual knowledge especially for operation.

allmark

No not OSHA .. according to them we don't need to be NCCCO certified by November like the construction industry does. It seems like the test is pretty easy to pass but I just don't know if it would benefit me in any way. I have a very low tolerance for red tape so try to avoid it at all costs
This would be referring to OSHA. OSHA is the entity that has postponed the requirements until 2017

allmark

My experience with the NCCO tests and classes (I've done 3) is they teach you what you need to pass the written test but provide little teaching to pass the practical. If you want to get there certification its ok but not much else to learn from them as far as actual knowledge especially for operation.
I was rereading this thread and just wanted to point out I have not had any experience with Cranes 101 so this does not refer to them.

ROYCE

I was rereading this thread and just wanted to point out I have not had any experience with Cranes 101 so this does not refer to them.
I have experience with cranes 101 and they are just as you stated with the companies you have experience with. Not a class to take if you haven't spent a lot of time around cranes, and operated one prior to class.