Crane Operator Certification

Steve Connally

so I'm trying to research getting NCCCO certified. Anyone have any direction they can point me in for training or reading? I found the operators network that has a online exam prep program for about $150. Not sure if it's as good as sitting through a program. Certification is my goal for 2017.

deevo

so I'm trying to research getting NCCCO certified. Anyone have any direction they can point me in for training or reading? I found the operators network that has a online exam prep program for about $150. Not sure if it's as good as sitting through a program. Certification is my goal for 2017.
Cranes 101 in Ma runs certification courses Steve, I'm hoping to maybe take one of their courses if it slows down in the winter, I have my 0-8, and have run a 40 ton. The one course gets you up to 75 ton certification, they said it's good / recognized in Canada. I'll email you that info.

Last edited:

ROYCE

I took the cranes 101 course in MA that @deevo is talking about. Its a good course, you should check it out. (thats a line from what movie?) Anyways!! You have to take three written exams and then a practical exam. The only problem I had is that the crane that was used for the practical was opposite from what my national is. So, it took me a few tries to get used to the controls. The price was around 1800 and took three days to go everything. They often have sales and mark the price down to 1200, so keep an eye out for that.

ROYCE

Cranes 101 in Ma runs certification courses Steve, I'm hoping to maybe take one of their courses if it slows down in the winter, I have my 0-15, and have run a 40 ton. The one course gets you up to 75 ton certification, they said it's good / recognized in Canada. I'll email you that info.
Have you ever considered that is may NEVER slow down?

RIVIEZZO TREE EXPERTS

Double check if the certification will be good in Canada. I spoke to cranes 101 at the expo and it he was very grey with his answers to if cert in mass would be excepable in ny

Steve Connally

I also wonder if it would carry to Virginia. That's was why I was going for NCCCO. It's national instead of state specific. I don't need a State card for VA. Thanks though, i'll check it out and I got your email. I guess if I got a MA lic that would carry to Canada then I'd be covered for either exit strategy. Wink wink.

deevo

Double check if the certification will be good in Canada. I spoke to cranes 101 at the expo and it he was very grey with his answers to if cert in mass would be excepable in ny
I've spoken with them a lot and it is, I've checked with some ministry of labour people here as well and is acceptable.

Courierguy

Here in Idaho, I'm still working away with no cert other then a piece of paper from an OSHA safety training instructor. It acclaims me as one who has taken the basic safety training course to operate a boom truck. Even that is more then I will ever need (in the past anyway) for some nickel and dime framing contractor who wants trusses set, they could care less. But every now and then, like last week, I get involved in some pretty serious crane work. Like two guys in my man basket, over 100', at a large industrial construction site. 5 days into the job (yeah it was a pretty good job) the plant's safety officer came over and asked "for my paperwork". I gave him a copy of my annual inspection report, and a copy of the OSHA thing, a few minutes later he returned it all and then complimented me on my "smooth work." So, I was good to go, and got another 3 full days in before the job was completed.

Last I heard, at least around here, it's still undetermined when EVERYBODY will need a full blown crane cert, the date keeps getting pushed back. Or, will I be working illegal January 1 st. 2017? And, why should I even have to ask this question here? It would seem that it would be pretty black and white and easy to figure out, especially for someone with about 10,000 hours of light crane work behind him, but I'm clueless. When the phone rings, I go do the work, and get paid (hopefully) for it, simple as that. When I start losing work because I don't have the right cert, I'll figure it out and get what I need, for now I'm not going to bother.

Tradesman

Cranes 101 in Ma runs certification courses Steve, I'm hoping to maybe take one of their courses if it slows down in the winter, I have my 0-15, and have run a 40 ton. The one course gets you up to 75 ton certification, they said it's good / recognized in Canada. I'll email you that info.
Hello Devo. I'm just south of you near Owen Sound I'm in the same boat as you I have my 15, and getting by, but looks like the ministry ( operators Union in Burlington ) is trying to shut us down running deregulated cranes, I would like to be proactive and get my 339a could you share research with me, save me reinventing the wheel. If you wish you could Pm me for my email or phone no.

classictruckman

If you have your 15 ton it's not much harder to get your 339a, you'll have to find a conventional crane to run for the practical, and the load chart exam will have questions on a conventional crane as well. Maybe talk to durham college they may have an upgrade course.

classictruckman

I wouldn't think that a cert that was only good to 75 ton would be recognized in ontario as anything more than our 15ton license.

Oak Savanna

Where did you do your 1000 hour apprenticeship including 240 hours of in-school training to get your 339C??

Tradesman

Where did you do your 1000 hour apprenticeship including 240 hours of in-school training to get your 339C??
As a bussiness owner I challenged the coarse , showed invoices for crane hours billed out, thats where it's a little scary you have to admit that you have operated without the proper licence
, I had an interview, wrote a operation procedure document, wrote a hand signal test and something else
, forget, then did a demonstration of skills test with a ministry tester and finally wrote a 100 question test.

mikecutstrees

I took the cranes 101 class too. It was good. You need crane experience to pass the practical though. My understanding of crane law is no license needed for trees, but you need a license to hoist anything else. So trusses AC units, etc you need a license in nys. it's a separate nys license too, they don't accept national cents etc.

allmark

Sorry for the delayed response I have been extremely busy.
Royce: If you hold a NYS Crane Operator Certificate of Competence, You do not need an NCCO CCO or other.

mikecutstrees; There is no exemption in NYS for trees(if you know of any I would love to see it)

Here is a response from the department of labor that took over a year and many emails and calls to get.

From: "Rapacciuolo, Vincent R (LABOR)" <Vincent.Rapacciuolo@labor.ny.gov>
Date: August 17, 2015 at 9:45:22 AM EDT
To: "allmarktree@yahoo.com" <allmarktree@yahoo.com>
Subject: FW: Crane operator certification for tree removal

Dear Mark:

In response to your question on requirements for certification for crane operators, please see below.

New York State General Business Law section 482 (1) states: “No individual shall …, operate a crane,… without holding a valid certificate of competence issued by the commissioner of labor.” In addition, Title 12 New York Code Rules and Regulations (NYCRR) Section 23-1.4 (a)(13) states in relevant part that: “All work of the types performed in the construction, erection, alteration, repair, maintenance, painting or moving of buildings or other structures, whether or not such work is performed in proximate relation to a specific building or other structure…“(emphasis added).

The operation of a crane in NYS that presents a hazard to the public or any manmade structure would require a certified operator in New York state.
If unsure you may consult the local industry inspection office of the department of labor to review your specific worksite.

Information on how to become a certified crane operator is available on the Department of Labor’s website.

If you have any question or need any additional information please call me at (518) 457-3530

Vincent Rapacciuolo PE
Program Manager 2
New York State Department of Labor
Harriman State Office Campus
Building 12, Room 154, Albany NY 12240
P: (518) 457-3530 | C: (518) 598337-7206
www.labor.ny.gov | Vincent.Rapacciuolo@labor.ny.gov