Cousin atrax splice how to

Samsquanch

Ok, so after searching and researching ( i cant find the patent they claim to have on it) for ages i cant find a deconstruction, instruction, analysis anything on how cousin does their splice. Is it just a straight bury of the jacket with tapering overlap lile a 16 strand splice?

A workmate has the rope and without being allowed to pull the splice apart to see how they do it i can feel "undulations" below the eye for about 10 inches that coincide with ends of whipping twine that have been cut and melted at the surface of the jacket, and then consistent smoothness for about another 10-12 more inches then what i believe is a crossover.

I'd love to be able to do this splice and add it to my arsenal of knowledge but i cant find any info. Does anyone know the method, have instructions?

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
I don't know that company.

Cut one open. Are they jerks and won't sell you 5 feet with a splice?
They should really tell the customer how to splice their splicable rope in an approved fashion.

Brocky

There’s a video on the FTC website, that has possibly that splice being done in the background. Can see much, but it looks like half the strands exit from the throat and taped to the half at the end of the rope. Don’t know what happens after that, but your description adds a new clue.
864CB7E8-9671-4F75-83FF-98B5F5B32C76.png

Joeybagodonuts

I'd buy donaghys out of principle.
I get that you want their secrets, though.
@Samsquanch

Just to add to the Cousin conversation..
I bought the Lignum 12.5 because of its higher breaking strength. I had concerns before purchasing & was proven correct about them. The 12.5 splice is passable through a ZZ but only if spliced "PERFECT", mine is no where close as easy to thread as the video shows.. To use a analogy y'all are probably familiar with, its about as hard as burying a tachyon splice that wasn't tapered correctly... (Its physically painful). It's one of those deals where a millimeter might as well be a mile.. because I'm sure it's just a matter of a strand or two too many in the throat that make it almost impossible to thread. I have to anchor off & use my full body weight to get it through, as well as unthread.

As far as by the foot.. you can definitely get all of them like that... but i only know of one place.. (Honey Brothers)

As far as the splicing procedure, Cousin trains & certifies each vendor on its process. Which would kinda explain why the instructions aren't widely available. If you hold the keys to the kingdom & can charge for a splice because of that, no one wants to give that info up. I imagine it will leak at some point.

Another thing I'd like to get to the bottom of, is, Courant, Cousin & FTC are all selling these passable splices. Iirc, these cordages are not all the same construction.. so does that mean there are multiple procedures being used?

Also, i believe there is a bit of rebranding going on here too.. I believe FTC & Courant have some sort of connection & Cousin is just Cousin.

Brocky

For you Joey, Sam said he saw melted whipping twine ends on the surface of the rope, was wondering if yours had them also.

Joeybagodonuts

Ohhhh right right, I'm following.. yes, i got the same.. i forget what we call it.. probably similar to that invisible lock stitch whipping method.

Brocky

It might be from tying the strand ends together of the taped strands shown in the picture, at different lengths to taper.

Joeybagodonuts

For sure.. could be...
I can't recall where exactly it started & where it ended, i just remember seeing it. It's most likely all worn away/buried at this point otherwise Id let you know exactly where it is.

Samsquanch

So theres a lump at 28 and 13 inches and the wipping ends shown near the eye and at 7 inches. The undulations continue past the whipping. For abput 5 inches20191011_153532.jpg20191011_153504.jpg20191011_153553.jpg20191011_153851.jpg20191011_153811.jpg20191011_153908.jpg20191011_153428.jpg20191011_153424.jpg20191011_153452.jpg20191011_153450.jpg

Brocky

Thanks for the pictures, I’m wondering if that is whipping twine or maybe a core strand. Are there more than one end showing at the two locations?

ARLO

Seems to me there is a simple solution to all of this. There are so many other good ropes out there, why buy a rope that is a pain in the ass to splice and that the manufacturer will not provide good splicing instructions for? Guess I am just feeling old and grumpy today.

Samsquanch

Thanks for the pictures, I’m wondering if that is whipping twine or maybe a core strand. Are there more than one end showing at the two locations?
It's definitely whipping twine thats been melted a little. These are the only ends ive been able to find.

Samsquanch

Seems to me there is a simple solution to all of this. There are so many other good ropes out there, why buy a rope that is a pain in the ass to splice and that the manufacturer will not provide good splicing instructions for? Guess I am just feeling old and grumpy today.
Yep, i just want to know the secret, the particular method, the rope is consistently supple all the way to the eye, im sure I'd find an application where doing this kind of splice would be beneficial making something

Joeybagodonuts

Ok
Mr Grumpy pants..;)
The point is to have a spliced cordage that passes through closed devices... NONE of the normal rope constructions on the market are able to do this.. not by manufacturer recommended practices anyways.

ARLO

Ok

Mr Grumpy pants..;)
The point is to have a spliced cordage that passes through closed devices... NONE of the normal rope constructions on the market are able to do this.. not by manufacturer recommended practices anyways.
Point taken! But will it pass through a Zigzag? That would be cool.