Cool tree tent

Discussion in 'Recreational Tree Climbing' started by Burrapeg, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Burrapeg

Burrapeg Active Member

OMG, I want one of these! I just saw this photo online and will try to track down who makes it. Any of you familiar with this?
    - Stew
    blob.jpg

2. FreeFallin

FreeFallin Well-Known Member

That's a great one, I haven't seen that yet. I have been playing around with a single rope tent idea, but it's more like a padded hammock that zips up.
    I like the creative way they are forming the platform. Looks like it could be heavy to carry all together.

3. Burrapeg

Burrapeg Active Member

Yeah, probably not all that portable even broken down, but would be great in the backyard in our own trees. I have a Harbor Freight Tools roller style pipe bender which easily rolls aluminium pipe into circles. Tantalizing to reflect on the possibilities (like I need another project). And the sewing needed might be rather involved.

4. southsoundtree

southsoundtree Well-Known Member

You will sink toward the middle. My daughter has one. Not portable, really.

5. Burrapeg

Burrapeg Active Member

Hmmm, good point. Maybe a solid floor could be made, 3/16 marine plywood or similar? With a hatch in it, you could store stuff beneath the floor.

6. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Administrator

There are other tree tents that have flat bottoms. They aren't single support points though

roots likes this.
  7. FreeFallin

roots likes this.
  8. John@TreeXP

John@TreeXP Member

The best ones I've seen are the Tentsile tents, but they require a balanced 3-point connection in either a hammock or tented configuration. Treeboats are popular too, but their more like hammocks, except for the four-point tie in. In either case, a tarp and or a bug net can easily be added when the elements present themselves. Hammock camping or tree camping is a unique experience and I recommend it highly. Extreme hammock camping is also enjoyable, while remaining safely tied in at all times.

roots and GregManning like this.
  9. GregManning

GregManning Super Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    roots likes this.
  10. John@TreeXP

John@TreeXP Member

The only downside to the Tentsile tents, IMHO, is its inability to swing. It may be able to sway with a tree in the wind, but the 3-point tie-in does limit the motion, while providing a flat living surface, as you mentioned. My favorite go-to setup is a 2-person hammock, and tons of inexpensive hammock knock-offs are readily available. Add to that a sleeping pad, pillow and a cozy sleeping bag and you are in business, with or without a rain tarp and/or a bug net. Adding the sleeping pad helps mitigate the hammock's banana effect and positioning my body slightly off center provides for a most comfortable and relaxing experience. I read that swinging motion of a two-point-tie-in hammock is extremely therapeutic and beneficial, like being on a boat, or nestled in your mother's arms in a rocking chair. I even wrote an article about it at http://treexp.com/hammocks/

I'm not sure if a Portaledge would qualify as a tree-tent, but it certainly can be used and hung from a single tie-in-point, with optional tie-ins for added stability. Seems a lot easier to set up than other tree-tents and it provides a relatively flat living surface for use in a variety of climbing or at-height situations, but its not quite as compact and ergonomic as the other options mentioned above.

Here's an insightful video, addressing this topic...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  11. John@TreeXP

John@TreeXP Member

12. Burrapeg

Burrapeg Active Member

TreeFool on youTube has all sorts of great tree climbing and tree camping videos. He is really amusing and knowledgeable.

13. colb

colb Well-Known Member

In pictures of tentsiles, you never see a person sleeping in it. The tent is always empty, or the person is sitting. I'm suspicious that they sag too much.

14. DanHouse

DanHouse Member

Start your platform with a trampoline base less legs.
    Add a spider of six ropes up to a single anchor point.
    Make a frame with either 1/2" thin wall electric conduit or plastic pipe.
    TreePee

Bob Bob and FreeFallin like this.
  15. GregManning

GregManning Super Moderator Staff Member

See Post # 9.

Granted proper tree alignment, w/in some limits, will be needed for the straps.

FreeFallin likes this.
  16. FreeFallin

I noticed the pictures are usually a few feet off the ground as well, I worry that if tied at hieght, if the wind picks up the inconsistent tension could be a real problem. Definitely want to keep a tiein.

roots likes this.
  17. Bob Bob

Bob Bob Active Member

I've seen reviews on those bat hammocks that said the spreader bars do not stay in place very well. There was someone that had developed a modification/fix but I can't seem to find it online...

It would be hard to beat a portaledge as a single point set-up. Insulation on cold nights could be an issue though since you can't use an under-quilt that's popular with the hammock camping crowd.

DanHouse's idea above looks to be a great idea on a DIY single point canopy vessel. Something similar is shown in this video I believe.

18. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Administrator

Years ago I sewed sleeves into the gunwales of the Treeboat. Then I added four adjustable hanging straps.

I called it a Porta-boat!

FreeFallin and John@TreeXP like this.
  19. John@TreeXP

John@TreeXP Member

I prefer a hammock to the treeboat, mainly for ease of installation, but converting a treeboat to a portaledge is a brillant concept. How was it with 4 straps? Did you use spreaders?

I also agree that the Tentsile tents can put a lot of dependence and undue stress on the tree, or trees, a lot more so in windy conditions.

I like the idea of the Bat Hammock and think there must be some easily adaptable modifications to make it more efficient and reliable. Adding pole keepers with some kite strings is one idea. Maybe a major producer will pick on on the concept and use the Avatar Pod/Cocoon idea as a marketing ploy. The Bat hammock has justifiably now earned a rightful place in the tree-camping annals, IMHO and I'm tempted to buy and bring one to the upcoming tree climbing rendezvous in Costa Rica next August. Seems a bit pricey though with the added shipping cost.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  20. roots

roots New Member

Check out our pictures on our website ( upventurestours.com ) or our Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/upventurestreeclimbing/ ) - we load up our line of Tentsiles with people of all shapes and sizes. It definitely makes sense to do some mental math on weight distribution, tension, etc. to make sure things are nice and even, but sagging really isn't a problem at all if you crank things up nice and get 3 nice anchor points (natural or modified).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018 at 3:46 AM