Compost tea

Toparboring

Have been doing some composting with the gardeners on campus and they have this huge pile of it laying around. Just to the left of the pile is this huge pool of run off from the pile from rains that we have had.
The question is how much trouble is this stuff to spray riggs or what would be some other ways of appling this tea some guys are calling it. I know that is very fertile for there is thick vegitation around the pool.
Nate

Chum

Depending on the age and composition of that pile, the concentrate run-off can run through a sparyer just fine, provided it's filtered and seasoned (might be red-hot nitrogen if too young).

We brew a formula of tea with added iron oxides and some additional micro-elements, right before application we add a microbial soup of digestive enzymes and a particular pseudomonas (bacteria) that we found to be particularly hungry for rotting organisms, only targeted to fungal species. The only early problems we had was how new the manure was, and it affected a burn in some smaller ground cover plants.

Toparboring

That was what I was wondering too was the burn and what to really treat. I had an idea of using it on the trees that we airspaded and redid to (construction compaction) to really induce the root growth.

bushman

Has anyone been using rizo fuel,and is there a premade compost tea that is a good one.any help would be great!

mrtree

The issue I see with application of compost teas is that the effect is very temporary if there is no organic matter in the soil. It seems to me that if you are looking to spray from the runoff why not use the compost itself to mulch around the trees? My number one suggestion is (virtually) always mulch. A properly composted mulch should have lots of goodies in it.

As for spraying are you spraying leafs or soil drenching? Clearly a gravity fed system with a dedicated tank will work for drenching and will help to avoid contamination of the brew with whatever (residual) may be in your spray rig.

bushman

I have making my own and applying to my beds which have organic matter and some propertys.take's a while when making a batch.with the summer looking like droughty one trying to get the plants ready for the season.need to find a bigger sorce.im doing both drench and foliar.

Toparboring

Been a while since the Tea treatment and well it was a small sucsess lost 1 tree Querus alba which stinks cause transplanting them are hard.
On to the acuall compost tea all we did was use a 8 mm fabric and trench out a drain from the compost area to a small pool. After that we used a small trash pump to laod up the tanks then off to the filters, or aff the the sites if just hoseing them on . To answer the what are you using for tea is all gardening, small brush,dirt,moo doo from various farm animals,and peat moss.
Nate