Compact Bulldog Bone

Burrapeg

Hey, Stew! Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum! Cool background you have! You might be able to add a lot to the splicing section of this forum, if that stuff was ever a part of your job description on the sailboats.

I look forward to reading more from you.

Tim
Oh yeah! Learned to splice just about anything, wire, single and double braid, 3 and 4 strand. It has been a while on the wire splicing; I might have to brush up on that myself before I advised anyone! And thanks for the welcome, Tim. I have mostly retired from this stuff now and just have a small machine shop and bronze foundry. But still love to climb and it is time to try it in trees now that I work less. I am updating my gear and bought one of Gordon's adjustable Bones and just got a SAKA from Richard. Might get in some time with them this weekend if our weather holds sunny. - Stew

@TimBr; Are you referring to the one shown on Page 214, and 199 (I think is the same one?)
Yes Sir, I have emailed Gordon about it for possible use on the fat NFPA static rope we use at the Fire Dept.
I really like that adjustable feature though.
The BDB has came a long way since Page 1, I have the latest ABDB, just curious if Gordon has any further advancements in the works.

surveyor

I do continue to work on the Bone pictured on page 199, which I call the Stubby Bone. It uses the same top arms as the lower hook arms but with a shorter spine.
The Bone on page 214 has been named the Bullfrog Bone by Mac, and I like that name. It is smaller as it uses 3/4 size links, and will have hook arms upper and lower also.
I plan to post up pictures of these Bones once they are made.

Treetopflyer

I really like the xstatic.. I may have found my perfect srtwp line.. will see as it wears in how it changes and performs . Out of the box it was amazing. Tends so smooth in bdb. Up and down held well smooth realease . Fun day dead wooding . Dsrt all day Yale scandere vs. Tuef xstatic. Both real good. Yale little more energy absorbing feel.

surveyor

Here is the mini Bone and stubby Bone I have been working on. You can see that the stubby is not that much larger than the mini. Because the stubby has a shorter pivot length than the compact Bulldog Bone, it allows a shorter spine also. But because of the shorter pivot it needs a fatter rope, and I had the Vortex in mind for this stubby Bone.

Has anyone been on any of the newer ropes that have come out in the last year or so with the bdb? Any feedback? I’m happy with tachyon performance but would like something more durable

-any of the notch ropes?
-Xstatic
-Scandere
-tangent/voyager
-scion

Last edited:

TimBr

Has anyone been on any of the newer ropes that have come out in the last year or so with the bdb? Any feedback? I’m happy with tachyon performance but would like something more durable

-any of the notch ropes?
-Xstatic
-Scandere
-tangent/voyager
-scion

Read this quote:

I really like the xstatic.. I may have found my perfect srtwp line.. will see as it wears in how it changes and performs . Out of the box it was amazing. Tends so smooth in bdb. Up and down held well smooth realease . Fun day dead wooding . Dsrt all day Yale scandere vs. Tuef xstatic. Both real good. Yale little more energy absorbing feel.
Tim

-any of the notch ropes?
-Xstatic
-Scandere
-tangent/voyager
-scion
I've run the Adjustable BDB on Scion Blue. The performance was comparable to the Yale 11.7's (Arrowfrog, Blue Moon, PI/Tropical Ivy etc). The best performance I've found is with 32-48 strand "static" ropes like KMIII Max and Kernmaster.

@Treetopflyer has used the BDB with both Scandere and Xtatic, he'd be able to tell ya about how those ropes fly with the Bone.