Compact Bulldog Bone

Discussion in 'Stationary Rope Technique-Half the rope, twice the' started by surveyor, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Burrapeg

Burrapeg Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! Learned to splice just about anything, wire, single and double braid, 3 and 4 strand. It has been a while on the wire splicing; I might have to brush up on that myself before I advised anyone! And thanks for the welcome, Tim. I have mostly retired from this stuff now and just have a small machine shop and bronze foundry. But still love to climb and it is time to try it in trees now that I work less. I am updating my gear and bought one of Gordon's adjustable Bones and just got a SAKA from Richard. Might get in some time with them this weekend if our weather holds sunny. - Stew

2. Treetopflyer

Treetopflyer Well-Known Member

Anybody running bones on xstatic tuefelberger?

3. Treetopflyer

Mmy adjustable bone seems to runn every line perfect ..and without adjustment!? Lol been running it on scandere lately.. love it , smooth tending perfect control decents. Very nice line in bdb.

surveyor and TimBr like this.
  4. Treetopflyer

5. Scottyrunner100

Scottyrunner100 Active Member

Looks like it’s been about a year and a half since the Adjustable BDB was released. Has anyone worn out the top bollard yet?
    Are anymore “updates” in the planning for the BDB?

TimBr likes this.
  6. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

@Scottyrunner100; This might not relate completely to your question, but have you seen surveyor's photos of his new possible prototype for a mini-bone?

Tim

7. Scottyrunner100

Scottyrunner100 Active Member

@TimBr; Are you referring to the one shown on Page 214, and 199 (I think is the same one?)
    Yes Sir, I have emailed Gordon about it for possible use on the fat NFPA static rope we use at the Fire Dept.
    I really like that adjustable feature though.
    The BDB has came a long way since Page 1, I have the latest ABDB, just curious if Gordon has any further advancements in the works.

8. surveyor

surveyor Well-Known Member

I do continue to work on the Bone pictured on page 199, which I call the Stubby Bone. It uses the same top arms as the lower hook arms but with a shorter spine.
    The Bone on page 214 has been named the Bullfrog Bone by Mac, and I like that name. It is smaller as it uses 3/4 size links, and will have hook arms upper and lower also.
    I plan to post up pictures of these Bones once they are made.

Treetopflyer, JeffGu and Tom Lynch like this.
  9. Treetopflyer

I'll know more about it tomorow.. Just came in tonight and I'm ecstatic to try it out.. See what's going on.. I wonder if a hippie name whipple had anything to do with this line.. try writing whipple and see what auto correct does to you .. made me say a hippie.. haha

oceans and moss like this.
  10. Treetopflyer

I really like the xstatic.. I may have found my perfect srtwp line.. will see as it wears in how it changes and performs . Out of the box it was amazing. Tends so smooth in bdb. Up and down held well smooth realease . Fun day dead wooding . Dsrt all day Yale scandere vs. Tuef xstatic. Both real good. Yale little more energy absorbing feel.

oceans, moss and TimBr like this.
  11. Treetopflyer

12. surveyor

Here is the mini Bone and stubby Bone I have been working on. You can see that the stubby is not that much larger than the mini. Because the stubby has a shorter pivot length than the compact Bulldog Bone, it allows a shorter spine also. But because of the shorter pivot it needs a fatter rope, and I had the Vortex in mind for this stubby Bone.
    [​IMG]

13. macswan

macswan Well-Known Member

might have to get a bull frog for my ten year old.

14. Arborist87

Arborist87 New Member

Hello,
    I am looking to acquire one of these beauties. How can I get my own compact bulldog bone?
    Ty

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

15. John_KAYS

John_KAYS Well-Known Member

Contact @surveyor he is the brilliant mastermind. Make sure to check out his lanyard adjuster too. He has quite a selection of awesome devices!

Arborist87 likes this.
  16. stheis004

stheis004 Active Member

Has anyone been on any of the newer ropes that have come out in the last year or so with the bdb? Any feedback? I’m happy with tachyon performance but would like something more durable

-any of the notch ropes?
    -Xstatic
    -Scandere
    -tangent/voyager
    -scion

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  17. CutHighnLetFly

CutHighnLetFly Well-Known Member

I stick with what works. Still lovingthis thing. @surveyor, gunna jave to wait till after Christmas to grab that second one.

Attached Files:

18. surveyor

Andre, that Bone pictured is a very early Bone, with the all metal nubs, and the pivot length is 1.5 inches. You must have been using that for nearly 3 years now?
    I think you will really enjoy the new Bone with the hard rubber nubs and the pivot length of 1.375 inches, and of course the adjustable bollard with the monolithic arm.

19. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

Read this quote:

Tim

Treetopflyer likes this.
  20. wyatt spruck

wyatt spruck Active Member

I've run the Adjustable BDB on Scion Blue. The performance was comparable to the Yale 11.7's (Arrowfrog, Blue Moon, PI/Tropical Ivy etc). The best performance I've found is with 32-48 strand "static" ropes like KMIII Max and Kernmaster.

@Treetopflyer has used the BDB with both Scandere and Xtatic, he'd be able to tell ya about how those ropes fly with the Bone.