Compact Bulldog Bone

Discussion in 'Stationary Rope Technique-Half the rope, twice the' started by surveyor, Aug 16, 2014.

1. wyatt spruck

wyatt spruck Active Member

@Timbr the device is about 1.5 years old, it's used frequently (70-80% of the trees I climb)

I've recently disassembled and cleaned the entire device - I used this cleaner called Brasso which is a copper aluminum steel etc cleaner polish. Took all the dark corrosive gunk right off. Applied with medium/ coarse steel wool followed by fine steel wool.

Before and after pics of swivel snap arms. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

TimBr likes this.
  2. surveyor

surveyor Well-Known Member

All the joint links are stainless steel. The friction links are high carbon steel, but with a special corrosion resistant coating called "Neptune" from the manufacturer, Tsubaki. All links are coated at the contact with the aluminum parts with a product called "Lanocote".

TimBr likes this.
  3. wyatt spruck

wyatt spruck Active Member

Neptune.
    That's badass.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

4. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great photos and the explanation, @wyatt spruck. Much appreciated.

Thanks also to @surveyor for the additional details of the manufacturing process.

Tim

5. Freddie Fisher

Freddie Fisher New Member

Still enjoying my loan bone, today I took it on and off the rope about ten times in one tree, not because I needed to, but it's so easy, so why not? I did drop a branch on it which activated the top arm. All my weight was in my lanyard so nothing happened, I only noticed due to the amount of slack. Something for me to be aware of.

In regards to a DRT setup, I've seen the video of the prussic cord on the anchor side of the rope, running through the top arm gap, onto the tear drop.. Has anyone done this with a short sling, with a carabiner connecting the sling to a splice/anchor knot? Is this set up still possible on an adjustable bone top arm?

Im waiting for the call from the loaner boner owner () which is inevitable, I'm not sure I can live without one, better hurry up and order my own.. How's stocks looking Gordon?

6. surveyor

Better get two Bones while supplies last. : )

The adjustable Bone does not have much space between the bollard and the pivot, as the adjustment screw and baffle use up much of the gap there. However if you are suggesting to anchor the the rope in a DdRT configuration at the bottom teardrop, through the top arm via the strap, then I can report that this will not work. It interferes with the release dynamic of the top arm. It only works to anchor the standing side back to the bridge, and use a prussic merely as a way to hold the Bone in place DdRT to make it self advance.

Here is an excellent video made by Paul, demonstrating the two Bones with two lines.

7. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

Definitely buy 2! (y)

Treetopflyer and TimBr like this.
  8. Worthaug

Worthaug Well-Known Member

Don’t listen to this guy , get four

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treetopflyer and oceans like this.
  9. SeanRuel

SeanRuel Active Member

Spent my first day on my new bdb, hashtag in love

TimBr and CutHighnLetFly like this.
  10. 123Craig

123Craig Active Member

11. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Nice vid. Looked like slack tending was adversely affected a little, but that's a small price to pay for being able to use two foot ascenders instead of one foot ascender and a knee ascender.

12. Z'sTrees

Z'sTrees Well-Known Member

Got a hank of km3 max and it is absolute perfection with the adjustable bone.
    I haven't gotten but a quick 30min rec climb on the combo and was hitting swings and drops better on my first or second attempt than with my runner/yale 11.7 setup I've climbed on for over a year. I will say my yale luna is fuzzed up nicely and the bone ran better on some practically new blue moon.
    Tends slack so nicely too, easy to clip in to the neck tether and free climb the tree while the bone belays you.
    I liked the bone on 11.7 but it wasn't as great as the runner for quick descents and was a bit touchy. Almost like all the way open wasn't enough. Tried some regular kmiii a friend has and it was excellent. This convinced me to get some km max, very glad I did!
    Thanks to Gordon, what an incredible device!

TimBr, Treetopflyer and surveyor like this.
  13. Burrapeg

Burrapeg Member

Yeah, me too. Love it immediately! First day with it yesterday, about two dozen ups and downs in a big spreading cedar I have next to the house. Incredible gadget! Worked almost perfectly right out of the box without even adjusting the bollard on the upper lever. And worked on both my ropes. Tiny bit of extra drag when ascending on the fat Yale stuff I have, but nothing serious. I tried it both SRT and with double rope thru a pulley at the TIP with the bone self tending via a prusik on the standing part. Thanks Gordon!

- Stew

TimBr, surveyor and FreeFallin like this.
  14. Burrapeg

Burrapeg Member

Fabulous forum here, by the way. So much info! And wit too. Just joined today after that wonderful day yesterday with my new bone. Makes every climb before those seem like a chore now.
    - Stew

15. John_KAYS

John_KAYS Well-Known Member

Welcome! Great to have you. And yes the Bone is amazing!

16. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

@Burrapeg; Welcome to the forum, Stew! I know you're going to like it here.

Don't forget to use the forum's search function to find older threads on topics of interest to you. Most every thread gets saved as a resource for future research.

I look forward to reading more from you. The fact that you just joined the forum today makes me wonder how you managed to find out about Gordon's device in the first place.

Best wishes,

Tim

17. Burrapeg

Burrapeg Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, Tim. I blundered into his youTube videos by accident! It was neat seeing the evolution of this device and the video history of his efforts. I own a small machine shop and bronze foundry and probably could have made my own home-brew bone just from the info in his videos, but at the same time, working as a machinist, I know what went into its development. It was worth every penny to buy one from him. My first climbs with it were such a pleasure. Raining here now pretty hard but I am looking forward to more chances to use the bone. And these rainy days when I have more time, it will be fun to poke around this forum.

- Stew

18. TylerHoffman

TylerHoffman Well-Known Member

FreeFallin likes this.
  19. surveyor

Tyler! Long time no see. Hope you are doing well. Nice video, demonstrating the fast install of the Bone on rope. One of my favorite Bulldog Bone videos is also the other video you made after first receiving the Bone.

20. John_KAYS

John_KAYS Well-Known Member

Tyler! You’re back!
    :hola: