Communication Help

docarbor208

Looking for reliable wireless communication for crane use between climber, operator and supervisor. Can’t spend $400 a pop on sena tuff talk. Any suggestions? How reliable/safe are earbud style head sets like LG Tone? Thank you!

Ryan Keats

I can buy sena units from amazon Canada for $215. I’m assuming they will be cheaper in the US. Might be worth a look

Jehinten

Looking for reliable wireless communication for crane use between climber, operator and supervisor. Can’t spend $400 a pop on sena tuff talk. Any suggestions? How reliable/safe are earbud style head sets like LG Tone? Thank you!

I have had good luck buying sena smh10 on Ebay, I've found 2 different pair at $200 fir the pair instead of $200/ea for the new price. The only issue that I've had with the first set was the previous owner was clearly a smoker, the entire box reeked of smoke when I opened it. Maybe 20 mins of sitting there open and the smell went away. Otherwise they have worked great

Jehinten

And after using them, I would gladly pay the full price for new, and I do not do crane work. I could only imagine they are that much more useful for cranes.

As for ear buds, we tried that once with regular walkie talkies and ear buds, channels would change while your moving around, wires would get snagged... was nice while it worked, but often little things kept causing problems

deevo

I made my own crane operator one up, left is the sena crane op headset it’s good, middle ones the one I got from tree stuff, the far right one I made myself identical to the tree stuff one. Bought the earmuff headset for $25 and added the sena mount and radio all for under $200.00 plus this way you can swap radios around from that to a helmet if needed. I wear my helmet operating my
Crane but some of my operators prefer no helmet ( it’s a swing cab crane) plus we work with several other crane companies. You can buy a dual set of senas here for under $400 Canadian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmycrackcorn

Damn.. nice touch Deevo.. I'm not a big fan, at all, of how these things have to be intergrated/retro'd into helmets, etc.. But what you have going on there that looks pretty dang good. I'm not seeing the frail 28-30ga wires hanging out everywhere! Are the battery packs on those models self contained within the device itself? I've always had to battle with the other design, the one with the remote battery pack & wires looking like a plate of spaghetti within a helmet's suspension...

I will say this though.. & Even without doing much research into the alternatives.. Ive been of the belief since i first saw these Sena units, that there has to be a better, less expensive way too implement fluid, sound dampening communication within a team/crew. Alot of these Sena devices are not designed to be open to the harsh environment of tree work & are mainly designed for Motocycle touring, etc.. They take that factor & design everything around it.. hence all the novelty type features they build in to justify the price points they are going to be selling at.. You know.. basically everything music related, voice controls... or whatever else they are trying to pack into these things other than perfecting the basics ..

Ideally, all we really need is a no nonsense system with the ability to hook up 4-6 units on a open comm, the ability to drop out, receive a phonecall & flawlessly reconnect to the system, a battery that actually lasts a couple full 8hr days, along with having the ability to walk to the other side of a house on a large property without losing contact or breaking up.. I mean i know the battery tech & comm tech is out there & does not cost an arm & a leg to procure. If a $50 burner phone can do it there no reason these can't.

Personally, the Sena units I've tried were very disappointing in terms of what i just stated above. Basically, anything marketed on the box performed at half its projected claim
- Lose direct line of sight at a distance over 100ft or so & I'd start losing communication.. The marketing claim was 800yrds or something crazy like that.. it wouldn't do 300ft, even with a clear line of sight, nevermind yards.

- If one guy forgot to charge his & it was the one that was needed to piggy back a 4th unit, then you'd lose those two units an hour into the day...

- & In the end, if a user isn't a complete tech nerd they'd have no clue how the units function, even after reading instructions..

- Besides the shortcomings, most of the hassle with them was correcting other users accidental errors.. or simply just them trying to get reconnected after being dropped..

I'm not knocking what you got there Deevo.. at all. When they function as advertised, treework becomes very smooth & much safer... Excuse my comparison but, almost like a ballet..
I'm just stating the difficulty, frustrations I've personally had with them, as well as the dishonest marketing claims made by Sena. That, & I believe there has to be a better, less expensive device out there.. you know what i mean? It's not like this is some new industry need.. Handsfree crew/team communication has been a need for as long as I've been alive. Certainly, someone has to have something inexpensive & tough, available somewhere... you know what i mean?

deevo

Damn.. nice touch Deevo.. I'm not a big fan, at all, of how these things have to be intergrated/retro'd into helmets, etc.. But what you have going on there that looks pretty dang good. I'm not seeing the frail 28-30ga wires hanging out everywhere! Are the battery packs on those models self contained within the device itself? I've always had to battle with the other design, the one with the remote battery pack & wires looking like a plate of spaghetti within a helmet's suspension...

I will say this though.. & Even without doing much research into the alternatives.. Ive been of the belief since i first saw these Sena units, that there has to be a better, less expensive way too implement fluid, sound dampening communication within a team/crew. Alot of these Sena devices are not designed to be open to the harsh environment of tree work & are mainly designed for Motocycle touring, etc.. They take that factor & design everything around it.. hence all the novelty type features they build in to justify the price points they are going to be selling at.. You know.. basically everything music related, voice controls... or whatever else they are trying to pack into these things other than perfecting the basics ..

Ideally, all we really need is a no nonsense system with the ability to hook up 4-6 units on a open comm, the ability to drop out, receive a phonecall & flawlessly reconnect to the system, a battery that actually lasts a couple full 8hr days, along with having the ability to walk to the other side of a house on a large property without losing contact or breaking up.. I mean i know the battery tech & comm tech is out there & does not cost an arm & a leg to procure. If a $50 burner phone can do it there no reason these can't.

Personally, the Sena units I've tried were very disappointing in terms of what i just stated above. Basically, anything marketed on the box performed at half its projected claim
- Lose direct line of sight at a distance over 100ft or so & I'd start losing communication.. The marketing claim was 800yrds or something crazy like that.. it wouldn't do 300ft, even with a clear line of sight, nevermind yards.

- If one guy forgot to charge his & it was the one that was needed to piggy back a 4th unit, then you'd lose those two units an hour into the day...

- & In the end, if a user isn't a complete tech nerd they'd have no clue how the units function, even after reading instructions..

- Besides the shortcomings, most of the hassle with them was correcting other users accidental errors.. or simply just them trying to get reconnected after being dropped..

I'm not knocking what you got there Deevo.. at all. When they function as advertised, treework becomes very smooth & much safer... Excuse my comparison but, almost like a ballet..
I'm just stating the difficulty, frustrations I've personally had with them, as well as the dishonest marketing claims made by Sena. That, & I believe there has to be a better, less expensive device out there.. you know what i mean? It's not like this is some new industry need.. Handsfree crew/team communication has been a need for as long as I've been alive. Certainly, someone has to have something inexpensive & tough, available somewhere... you know what i mean?
Yeah I know what your saying, but I’ve got every set of mine paired, half my guys have protos helmets which there are absolutely no exposed wiring, kasks are a bit more sensitive, I’ve been using them for over 6 years or whenever @pctree started selling them. All my guys are pretty good at using them properly and we rarely have problems with them ever. I ensure they are all collected after each day and charged, you know because I have nothing else to do when I get home! Ha ha. I don’t run 3 crews every day, more less for storm work. They are just a normal part of my operation now and like you said until something better cheaper comes around I’ll be sticking with these.