Coffee Coffee Coffee

colb

This thread established for three main reasons:

1. To leach traffic away from @JD3000 and his musings on the Beer Beer Beer thread. He's become too prolific and I'm jealous.

2. To redirect @rico 's derail at the Monkey Beaver Saddle thread. If he weren't lounging about on a work day "engaged in paperwork", this thread would never have materialized.

3. And to discuss the finer points of coffee in a safe space, where one can wear yoga pants, crack-revealing saddles, etc. without fear of judgement (as if...).

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
When I camp I make Cowboy Coffee

Boil water over the fire. Typically water straight out of the lake...Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. Dump in about 'that much' coarse ground dark roast into my Nalgene Lexan bottle. Pour in boiling water. Cap it. Slip it into the insulated cozy. Shake a couple of times then let it sit. How long? Depends on how thirsty I am. When it's time to drink I hold the closure cord and give it a few big ol' airplane prop centrifuge spins. Forces all the grounds down to The bottom

Uncap and enjoy!

Steve Connally

That's how I made coffee in the hunt camp in Wyoming. Man every cup was wonderful until the last! We used water that bubbled out of the mountainside behind the cook tent. Greatest coffee ever. I do have a one cup metal camping French press. The bad thing it it's so hot it takes longer for it to cool down than to brew. I love coffee........................

rico

I’ll have you know I’m wreaking 2 Reds today on the parcel next to mine. Home for lunch and an Americano made with Verve beans. Scalp is just starting to tingle and it’s time to wreak the second tree. Should have a vid of the job soon. Tata for now mofos. On a side note, monkey beaver is just getting better and better.

TreeVB

Some places in Europe and all over New Zealand have instant coffee. Its like freeze-dried coffee. Little granules that you add hot water to, they disappear and you drink. I'm sort of a health nut so this kind of freaks me out. Its not that hard to male real coffee so why add crap to it that you don't need?
I prefer a doppio espresso or black coffee. My body doesn't ever feel like it needs it but I drink it when I think about it. Tastes like $#!+ so its really strange how many drink the stuff

treehumper

Coffee..... Damn, I've got a 12 cup Bialetti mocha pot. I get probably 4 lattes in my BATM (Big Ass Travel Mug). That gets through my 42 mile morning commute. The beans are Casterino from Italy. I rough it through the day with 1 or 2 cups of "dirty water", then do the return trip home with a refill of the BATM at my favorite cafe at Liberty Cycle. Tony makes a wickedly good latte for me.

If you follow my facebook page, I usually post every coffee shop I find in my travels. When I'm in Toronto I can hit a dozen or more in a couple days. Damn fine cup of coffee!

southsoundtree

Some places in Europe and all over New Zealand have instant coffee. Its like freeze-dried coffee. Little granules that you add hot water to, they disappear and you drink. I'm sort of a health nut so this kind of freaks me out. Its not that hard to male real coffee so why add crap to it that you don't need?
I prefer a doppio espresso or black coffee. My body doesn't ever feel like it needs it but I drink it when I think about it. Tastes like $#!+ so its really strange how many drink the stuff

If you evaporate brewed coffee, what do you get?

I'm thinking something crusty, that if put into a mug with hot water would give you coffee.

Tom, don't out boiling water in. Something like 190*is better, iirc, for bitterness.

Made LOTS of cowboy coffee in the Backcountry.

We made the coffee in a pot, brewed it, tapped the pot, to supposedly help the grounds settle. Pour and enjoy.

rico

This thread established for three main reasons:
2. To redirect @rico 's derail at the Monkey Beaver Saddle thread. If he weren't lounging about on a work day "engaged in paperwork", this thread would never have materialized.
I want to thank the academy and all the people who made this moment possible, including my parents for their love and support (not). I am extremely honored to be the motivation behind a discussion of about something as cool as coffee, and humbly accept this award ( still waiting for my cool, gold plated statue though).

colb

Obviously, this is actually a thread for beer drinkers with a coffee drinking problem...

So, @southsoundtree , you mention 190° - is that for cowboy camping brew method? I was a little surprised that my Chemex instructions were for 205°. Seemed high.

TreeVB

If you evaporate brewed coffee, what do you get?

I'm thinking something crusty, that if put into a mug with hot water would give you coffee.

Tom, don't out boiling water in. Something like 190*is better, iirc, for bitterness.

Made LOTS of cowboy coffee in the Backcountry.

We made the coffee in a pot, brewed it, tapped the pot, to supposedly help the grounds settle. Pour and enjoy.
Not sure how they do it. The granules are more like little nuggets, about ten times the size of a coffee ground. You should evaporate some brewed coffee and let us know how that goes!

jim454

I got a little off-grid cabin up north, winter's my favorite time up there.
I think coffee tastes better when you have to put a little effort into it. First I get the wood stove stoked up well enough to boil water, then I break out the hand grinder and grind the beans. I'm a firm believer in the French press and I found one that's stainless steel and insulated. Mix contents together and wait about 8 minutes, it's happy time. Most definitely one of life's simple pleasures. Oh, the aroma makes for an excellent alarm clock too.

SuperK

Any one using a chemex? I am hoping to get one for Christmas, all the guys in the shop drink French press, ready to bring up the coffee game.

I did the camp percolator at home but it was hard to not get grounds in it, but it did taste good!

colb

Any one using a chemex? I am hoping to get one for Christmas, all the guys in the shop drink French press, ready to bring up the coffee game.

I did the camp percolator at home but it was hard to not get grounds in it, but it did taste good!
I used one for a week recently. Get something to keep your water temp constant without having to use a thermometer. I was spotty - got some super clean cups and some underextracted cups, using a simple thermometer in a kettle.

Obviously need a timer, and a scale if possible.