climbing workout

I wanted to know how much do you guys train specially the competition disciplines? is it just before competitions or all year around? How does your workout look alike? Or maybe you dont practic at all and do just what you do at work?

Andrus.

macswan

I "trained" quite a bit before my first comp. mostly footlock. But for the last one I did, I just started doing yoga for the month prior. Mostly it's just about having fun, so I try not to take it too seriously. I would love to train more, but time and inclination after the rest of life are lacking.

rockettree

Mostly I consider work my training and I have little time for anything else. The only thing I really practice is foot locking because I don't do it at work. I'll also do a few rounds of play acting for the aerial rescue to get primed for that.

I plan on cutting back on my beer drinking, doing yoga at least two times per week and rocking some locks.

ROYCE

I took it pretty serious when I was competing. I lived in the city and it was a way for me to get out on the weekends and such. I set up a few trees in various parks with bells. I bought the bells at a party store cheap. I would run a mock work climb a few times a week. Mostly on weekends but close to competition I would run it during the week as well.
I would log 250 vertical feet a day starting one month prior to competition. This equated to 5 50 foot foot locks a day. I shot for at least 4 days a week. Very often reaching much more than 4 days because I loved the challenge. When I footlocked I would add weight to my saddle. I tied small disc weights to my saddle adding 10 pounds. I ran those up until a week before comp. then I would loose them and focus on good form and speed.
I used to hoist a tire up into the tree to about 30 feet and practice a few aerial rescues a few weeks before comp as well. This worked out good because it got me used to actually doing the rescue physically. A tire is light and was easy to move around but it was more about getting the muscle memory of rescuing. I had my wife laminate a judges score card and she would score me on the various aspects of the climb. Just making sure that I said the appropriate things at the right time.
Hey, I know, I had no life back then. Tree climbing and competing was what I lived for. I have no kids, and it was a huge hobby of mine. Now, I couldn't find the time to get in one foot lock a day!!! But it was fun when I was doing it. Never did win, but came pretty damn close a few times.

I took it pretty serious when I was competing. I lived in the city and it was a way for me to get out on the weekends and such. I set up a few trees in various parks with bells. I bought the bells at a party store cheap. I would run a mock work climb a few times a week. Mostly on weekends but close to competition I would run it during the week as well.
I would log 250 vertical feet a day starting one month prior to competition. This equated to 5 50 foot foot locks a day. I shot for at least 4 days a week. Very often reaching much more than 4 days because I loved the challenge. When I footlocked I would add weight to my saddle. I tied small disc weights to my saddle adding 10 pounds. I ran those up until a week before comp. then I would loose them and focus on good form and speed.
I used to hoist a tire up into the tree to about 30 feet and practice a few aerial rescues a few weeks before comp as well. This worked out good because it got me used to actually doing the rescue physically. A tire is light and was easy to move around but it was more about getting the muscle memory of rescuing. I had my wife laminate a judges score card and she would score me on the various aspects of the climb. Just making sure that I said the appropriate things at the right time.
Hey, I know, I had no life back then. Tree climbing and competing was what I lived for. I have no kids, and it was a huge hobby of mine. Now, I couldn't find the time to get in one foot lock a day!!! But it was fun when I was doing it. Never did win, but came pretty damn close a few times.
Wow. What was your flock time then?

TimBr

For those of us not "up" on the world of competition footlocking (ok, that would be me), do you have a ballpark idea of what the current world record footlocking time is?

Tim

TimBr

Thanks for that, Boomslang! The records and the video that shows what it looks like. Just outstanding, and most appreciated.

Tim

TimBr

The best I ever did in comp was 50 feet in 15.78 seconds. The next year I put up a 17 sec 50 foot. Funny, still a lot slower than the world record holder.
Hey, Royce! What are you, a British expat living in America? I'm referring to your modesty, here. According to the article, the current world record is 13.65 seconds. Doing the math, your personal best of 15.78 seconds minus 13.65 seconds equals 2.13 seconds. And that is the current record, which might possibly be different than what the record was at the time you were competing.

Nice going, and really impressive! Especially considering that I can't tie my sneakers in 15.78 seconds. What you did there is definitely something to be proud of, in my humble opinion.

Congratulations!

Tim

How much did you work back then? Cant imagine doing that after 8 hours of climbing. Was it a period before a comp or all year around?

ROYCE

How much did you work back then? Cant imagine doing that after 8 hours of climbing. Was it a period before a comp or all year around?
Oh no, it was after an 8 or 9 hour workday. Climbing all day or running the bucket. I used to leave a line installed in a tree behind my house for quick access. I had a harness that was the full bod style that I kept hanging in the basement. I used to just grab it and and rip out a few 50 footers after work. Then hang around, eat dinner and get a few more in the evening when the weather cooled down a bit. The trick is to not sit down after work. Once you do, your done. You'll never get back up!!

Oh no, it was after an 8 or 9 hour workday. Climbing all day or running the bucket. I used to leave a line installed in a tree behind my house for quick access. I had a harness that was the full bod style that I kept hanging in the basement. I used to just grab it and and rip out a few 50 footers after work. Then hang around, eat dinner and get a few more in the evening when the weather cooled down a bit. The trick is to not sit down after work. Once you do, your done. You'll never get back up!!
Cool! I have a line left the same way. Eny gym training also?