climbing with a friend

jerseygirl

OK Lady's,

Here is a new one for you all to answer.

I had a chance to take a man up a tree with me, this was not just a man, this was a man i was attempting to get to know better. IF you understand my meaning.

Well how do you get him in harness without blushing as you explain how to adjust leg straps. OH GEE it was awkward at most.

I remember my first two climbs with the man that took me up, it was close by instructions and lot of smiles and giggles and (well you get the idea).

SO how do you approach this, I mean I have never had to teach a man anything. Can they be gracious and admit we know something they don't?

suggestions would be greatfully taken.

jz

jim454

Maybe things would become a little more natural after a nice bottle of wine. (wink, wink)

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
One Sunday I was helping Peter Jenkins with an open climb. My job was to get people in the correct harnesses and get things adjusted. It's pretty obvious that this involves hands being close to 'off limit zones'. Being respectful of people's space is so important. What I did was different depending on the age of the climber. With the kids I'd talk to the parents and let them know what I was doing. With the adults I told them that I didn't mean to be fresh [with the women] or excused myself [with the guys].

Just make a little joke and let him know that if the leg straps aren't adjusted right that he may get a pinch in the plumbing. Guys are used to this.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe things would become a little more natural after a nice bottle of wine. (wink, wink)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, Ha, Ha, That's funny!!

Hey Jersey Girl! It works both ways. You know when guys teach you how to golf or play pool or bowl, they don't need to grab you, but they do it to see if your interested or just because it makes them feel like a pro, so hey, go ahead and use that technique Girl!!

On another note, I did just get done teaching college students that had never climbed before and the guys actually came up to me asking for me to show them stuff. (Note- I kept my hands off of them!!)

Good luck you sneaky devil you!

tophopper

When I instructed climbing at the local Tech College, I was faced with this issue also. I just told them up front that to help them adjust the leg straps I would have to get a little close and there is no reason to be alarmed.

Your situation is a little different though isnt it?

Blinky

Don't be shy and just confidently do it! If you're not confident... Fake it.
You're adults, you both know how babies are made and stuff... just loosen up.

josephinehedger

Jersey Girl,

what i suggest is that you look him straight in the eyes, grab him straight between the legs and say "that one i did one i did on purpose, but the next one may be an accident"

I think this may break the ice and avoid any future embaressments.

let us know if this works.

jerseygirl

[ QUOTE ]
... Fake it.
You're adults... just loosen up.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH GEE between you and Josephine,

I would fall over in embrassement if I ever did that.

Ask Kathy and WHIZ about me turning all different shades.

I guess if i want to take a man into a tree, i will have to figure it out.

TNTree_man

I do so love your avatar.
Be natural, have fun, he will appreciate it. If he wasn't already interested he probably wouldn't be trusting you with his life.(or his untouchables)

[ QUOTE ]
Jersey Girl,

what i suggest is that you look him straight in the eyes, grab him straight between the legs and say "that one i did one i did on purpose, but the next one may be an accident"

I think this may break the ice and avoid any future embaressments.

let us know if this works.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, I was just minding my own business, lurking, when I read that and blew Dr. Pepper all over my Friend's puter through my nose!

I think I like you!!

Somebody get me a tissue?

Sciuropterus

I study/teach Ju-Jitsu, which involves a lot of very close body contact with both male and female students. For example, in a class I might be literally laying on top of one of them (face to face, while they are on their back), and instructing them to wrap their legs tightly around my waist as part of a technique. Yes, it can be awkward at first, but it's important stuff to learn. Doing the same thing with another guy can be a whole different type of awkward.

There are both men and women who simply cannot deal with the close body contact, but for most people it quickly becomes a non-issue as long as everybody is professional.

TreeCo

Jersygirl,

Use your hands to tighten his leg straps. Using your teeth is sure to raise suspicion!

familytree

Wait til you get to explain that the mark on your neck that looks like a hickey is really just a rash from walnut not actually a hickey.... Ah good times

Babberney

I assume this is a suggestion for the specific situation Jerseygirl brought up. I don't think any of us want to see that become the standard at competitions and the like.

For my part, I've put a few women into harnesses at competitions and on weekend fun climbs, and I always feel a little awkward. There tends to be a lot of holding straps by fingertips as I try to avoid unwelcome touching. I generally get the major straps where they belong, then step back and explain how to adjust things, rather than doing it myself. Everyone realizes what's up in these situations, and I never ran into anyone who seemed to be copping a feel just for fun, but it can still be uncomfortable when you're the one getting touched.

treebeach

Jersey... all gud. Though Josephine - I truely laughed out!!! :)

As other folks shared, just be confident, curteous and fun about it. The rest is natural.

You experience will be fun as heck. Teaching an 'interest' to climb is totally a ball (pardon the pun).

Enjoy and take pictures!