Climbing in heavy winds

Discussion in 'Climber's Talk' started by climbingmonkey24, Nov 11, 2017.

1. climbingmonkey24

climbingmonkey24 Active Member

Just curious what other fellow climber's do on a real windy day. For me personally I go based on how I feel and the tree I'm working in and what the job is. Today was an extremely windy day and ended up getting out of a smaller sized tree I was taking a branch out of over a shed. Had to limb walk it and it went upward and the wind was swaying the whole tree and limb. And the wind was constant with little break. Didn't want to risk it in case something decided to give away. Just my opinion.

2. Boomslang

Boomslang Well-Known Member

F*CK wind. Give me rain, snow, ice, balls dripping humidity, middle of the desert heat, -40, or whatever else you want, but F*CK wind. Not only does it throw sawdust in your face no matter what position you take, but it also wants to grab you and every limb you cut and throw it halfway down the street. Plus, it changes the dynamics of the tree significantly. What once might have been an easy flop with one guy on the pull line is now a whole dick around setting up MA and waiting for that time when the wind decides it's going to shift direction 180 degrees and screw your whole plan. F*UCK wind.

*Rant over*

3. treebilly

treebilly Well-Known Member

Had that today. Should've been a bunch of easy floppers with a few to wedge over. Instead it was setting pull lines and finally screw it bring in the boom. Honestly it depends on what I'm doing for the day. Today wasn't a good day for the job I was sent to.

4. southsoundtree

southsoundtree Well-Known Member

Sometimes, wind can help carry limbs to an open dropzone, rather than cut and chuck. Other times, it blows. haha

ClimbMIT, colb, TimBr and 1 other person like this.
  5. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

I agreee with Boomslang but he forgot to mention how fun throwline can be with a stiff side wind.

Also, F the windchill factor which can make an otherwise just plain cold day downright unbearable.

As a general rule I will be in the shop if winds are 30 mph or greater, or try to find a nice Buckthorn clearing job down in a swamp.

ClimbMIT likes this.
  6. Drumbo

Drumbo Active Member

A few weeks back I was throwballing into a tree at 11 PM while it was still pretty windy to set up rigging to get some pieces of tree out of a roof. That was fun, headlamp on the protos.

SomethingWitty and Jem4417 like this.
  7. Jem4417

Jem4417 Well-Known Member

Yea the tree doesn’t look like it’s moving too bad until your attached to it around 50 feet and up. Spend 3 plus hours in a tree on a windy day and you still feel off balanced even when you get home. @Drumbo . i saw this Spanish climber tied in at sixty feet up straight across from his tie in point about twenty feet away in This silver maple one time. It was midnight and we were removing storm damage from the power lines when a cell of rain and heavy wind came through out of nowhere. He was moving over thirty feet from side to side in this violent wind for probably less then 7 minutes but it felt like hours as we watched. He was screaming the whole time as he clung to the tree. He made it out okay but it was one of the scariest things I had ever seen.

TimBr likes this.
  8. Fairfield

Fairfield Well-Known Member

I would say at 30 mph to call it but we are not industrial climbing and can put a solid number to climbing. I say it all depends on the trees condition and what is expected.

9. evo

evo Well-Known Member

I've done 50mph wind gusts off of the beach. Turned the job from rigging over a rotten shed, to piecing out with a pole saw and letting the brush fly. It was miserable, and one of those few times that it could be done safely. Generally however I will call it at 20-35ish depending on the job, I have called it at 10mph or less when felling. I practice the line "there is always tomorrow"

TimBr likes this.
  10. KeefDecker

KeefDecker New Member

A while back I foolishly allowed a crane operator to convince me to proceed with removing a cottonwood with 35 mph gusts. I set the straps, vocalized my reservations and then proceeded to set up for pick (appr 1,400 lbs upright brush) and as soon as I dug in sure enough the wind picked up and wrenched that peice on the bar. After about ten minutes we finally manage to get it out off and the pick removed. It was definitely not worth it. I learned a lesson that day I also left that company.

ClimbMIT likes this.
  11. climbingmonkey24

You in MA?

12. treebilly

treebilly Well-Known Member

O-H-I-O

JD3000 likes this.
  13. theatertech87

theatertech87 Member

Just a little tidbit of additional info according to altec the max reccomended wind speed we're supposed to use their buckets in is 30mph. Thought the tech I spoke to did say if you had to fly in winds greater than that, to do it with the boom upwind of the truck.

ClimbMIT and KeefDecker like this.
  14. evo

evo Well-Known Member

Wow if a 30 mph wind would effect the boom that much I’d have a hard time trusting it

15. Gorman

Gorman Well-Known Member

I tried a spiderlift out the other day in 35mph winds. After an hour I came down and climbed the thing to finish it off. I hated it.

16. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Administrator

@Raven

Wait...you said...A nice buckthorn job?!?!?

Contradiction in terms

Spit...cuz I said buckthorn

RopeShield likes this.
  17. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Administrator

I get sea sick more often as the years have gone by. There has been more than once when the tree started gyrating and within seconds my head is spinning and I'm ready to urp up the last meal

The solution...find a horizon line and look at it. One time I looked out of the canopy and the only horizontal line I could see was the top of a single chimney flue. Within seconds the tummy and head gyros were spinning right

18. Treetopflyer

Treetopflyer Well-Known Member

Not to jack c monkey thread, but being as he's shown in his op that he's got good sense and handle on the matter and everyone else's chingin in reflections of echoed thougts on what can definitely be one of the more challenging effects during tree operations The Wind... what Gorman made you dislike the lift and which lift did you demo, if you don t mind me asking.. In the wise words of timbr. THANKS in advance for any answers you choose to provide. Or something to that affect.

SomethingWitty likes this.
  19. treehumper

treehumper Well-Known Member

We are not saving the world so there's always tomorrow. Wind like other weather conditions can reduce productivity significantly, increase the potential for failure - like we may be taking a tree dow because the client thought it was hazardous and we agreed-, and predictability has gone out the window.

20. climbingmonkey24

The used a lift a while ago for a job. Wasn't that windy but how small it actually was and that it was supporting this 50ft boom kept creeping up into my mind. At the end of the day I was back hugging the tree with my spurs saying "I think I prefer climbing."

Have yet to use a bucket.

treehumper likes this.