Climbing Harness / Saddles setups (PICS & Video)

Still new to tree climbing so forgive me for asking, but why do you have a figure 8 on your harness? I've heard other tree climbers have them also...
Is it just a descender choice for people who don't use a multiscender in their climbing system?

Question #2.
Does the term "multiscender" mean a device that is used for ascending and descending, like the Unicender, Hitch Hiker, Rope Wrench, Akimbo, Rope Runner, Zig Zag, etc... ?

96coal449

not very safe but better than nothing
they are very safe when used properly. You can even ''lock'' them off to temporarily to hold fast in one spot. Very useful when hanging a pull over rope for a full drop. On the way down you can lock off and remove a limb or two for clearance.

they are very safe when used properly. You can even ''lock'' them off to temporarily to hold fast in one spot. Very useful when hanging a pull over rope for a full drop. On the way down you can lock off and remove a limb or two for clearance.
They are not very safe if you use them as ascenders, if they rotate they will unlock and you will fall if you are not secured to the rope in some other way. They are a really good descender though, I prefer them over any other device when I go abseiling on a cliff.

fall_risk

Still new to tree climbing so forgive me for asking, but why do you have a figure 8 on your harness? I've heard other tree climbers have them also...
Is it just a descender choice for people who don't use a multiscender in their climbing system?

Question #2.
Does the term "multiscender" mean a device that is used for ascending and descending, like the Unicender, Hitch Hiker, Rope Wrench, Akimbo, Rope Runner, Zig Zag, etc... ?
I don't know about @Jan_, but I have a F8 in my bag or on my harness because it's got some uses SRT/SRS as a redirect. You could also incorporate it into a lowerable basal anchor. Check out the Schultz Effect video series for a blown mind and tons of alternative SRT uses for gear you probably already have.

A fast-fading use is as a descnder for the ascent-only secured footlock technique.

I also sometimes use a F8 or a munter hitch as a super-quick, descent-only, non-life-support DdRT system, probably in about the same way people use the captain hook.

Rec climbers coming from rock climbing also seem to have a redundancy habit that I can't hate on, although with a spare biner or snap, you can create an old-school DdRT/MRS system based on a Blake's hitch or Tautline hitch, so in this particular case, maybe overkill.

As a production climber, I also keep one socked away as a quick-deploying light friction device for use on the ground when the Portawrap is overkill, or in the tree when I want some friction where there's no crotch, or an easily locked off climber-controlled deal, or a butt line that just needs to slow something down, but not too much. That rigging jazz probably won't come up Rec climbing.

As far as multiscender goes, it's to distinguish our SRT/SRS tools, which can (a)(de)scend (multi), from other disciplines' tools, which are either ascenders or descenders, but require a different device for each direction, and an on-rope changeover between using each. Your list is pretty accurate, but the zigzag should not be used as a multiscender without a rope wrench (trust me on this). With a wrench and a compatible tether, it's pretty awesome. I would also add the compact Bulldog bone to the list. I'll try to post my Rec set up here soon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fall_risk

Can't say I've never done this, although it doesn't come up for rec climbers and many (including my current employer) would freak out about it. For the record, I don't use it at my day job :) For the rec-only climbers, what @96coal449 is talking about is during a tree removal, once the tree is limbed and topped, and it is short enough to fell the spar, the climber ties on a pull line (which is by definition not a climbing line) to assist in the felling operation. The climber's work is now complete, so a convenient way to exit the tree is to rappel down the pull line w/ a F8. I think @Muggs has a video of this technique on his YouTube channel, educatedclimber, that he was hassled about awhile back. His channel and website are pretty great, there are a lot of topics he covers that are applicable to rec climbing.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hello Rec Buzzards-
Was not feelin' my old Sierra Moreno or beat up Ergovation anymore
No work stuff for me these days... sold a vehicle, and decided to drop some coin (and probably too much) on a new outfit.
22.JPG
25.JPG

New lease on my climb life.... now I'm just enjoying it!
I try to carry as little as possible on climbs (gear wise.... hammock and lunch are nice)
I'm often carrying a long lanyard 50' in a bag... and just got a captain hook to help traverse from tree - tree. looking forward to that!
Any suggestions on how to reduce gear jingle/clatter would be appreciated.

Bob Bob

Hello Rec Buzzards-
No work stuff for me these days... sold a vehicle, and decided to drop some coin (and probably too much) on a new outfit.
View attachment 56991
View attachment 56992

I try to carry as little as possible on climbs (gear wise.... hammock and lunch are nice)
I'm often carrying a long lanyard 50' in a bag... and just got a captain hook to help traverse from tree - tree. looking forward to that!
That is one super stealthy set-up! I'm completely jealous!

That is one super stealthy set-up! I'm completely jealous!
I was Jealous too!!..of all the sweet gear on here! (although that Daigentanoen guy from Japan tweaks my melon)!
I had fallen off the tree radar for a while.
After not climbing for a few years and getting inspired by folks like you, I decided to try to put together the ultimate stealth kit (also inspired by JohntreeXP's posts and website).
I probably should have invested the money or something smart.... but....
Our time is short here, lets enjoy it!
I'm humbled that you covet my kit... now I need to put some miles on it and possibly invest in a GoPro to share my adventures with the good folks here.

Oh, and seriously, if you're still looking for a good all around tree rope that is stealth - the Samson Predator is (y).see below.
only 4 climbs on it, but I'm lovin' it!
14.JPG

Hello Rec Buzzards-
View attachment 56991
View attachment 56992

Yeah, where'd you get all that black gear? Did you find it all like that or did you have to have any of it custom done?

skygear

Most manufactures offer everything in the black color for military and Leo applications. You just need to track down who sells what colors and at what price point. Even the DMM Captain comes in black instead of the red. Just have to look for it in contact your reseller and all them to order it in the color you want.

WaitakKauri

Hello Rec Buzzards-
View attachment 56991
View attachment 56992

That's super tidy and nicely colour coordinated.