Chips toxic ?

southsoundtree

A respirator for dealing with moldy chips?

I've used one for London Planetree for cutting and chipping-- worked great, and only $25 at Home Depot. It has replaceable cartridges.

Merle Nelson

Good info. thanks!!! I will use a mask when around moldy/marginal chips.

If anyone needs incentive to dump chips more frequently I once heard a news story of a chip truck spontaneously bursting into flames as a result of chip compost gases (organic matter composting produces methane right?) and heat. Once I chipped in light rain (advantageous amount of added water) and left the load for a few days and then when dumping noticed the white moldy chips were so hot that I couldn’t hold my hand down under the surface. Heard that news story a short time latter and had no problem believing it - cured.

TreeLogic

Good thread. I've seen the moldy chips many a times, and have even spread them with the skidsteer. I've seen white and a bluish mold at times. Always wondered if I was asking for trouble. I don't remember feeling too bad from them but I'll keep away now for sure. Thanks for the info.

It is better to avoid eating chips and especially leaving them in your car. And you should visit a doctor and go through examination to make sure that everything is alright with you.

I talked to a welder a while ago about this. He had been welding and repairing chip boxes for years when he developed respiratory problems. Went in to the doctor and they discovered a large mass of fungus growing in one side of his lungs. Had to have surgery to remove it. Pretty crazy

I talked to a welder a while ago about this. He had been welding and repairing chip boxes for years when he developed respiratory problems. Went in to the doctor and they discovered a large mass of fungus growing in one side of his lungs. Had to have surgery to remove it. Pretty crazy
that sounds horrifying!:eek:

rugger01

Never leave chips in the dump box. If at most dump the next day. I just want to avoid rotting my dump boxes. And the chip truck is absolutely a portable restroom. Either 1 or 2 depends on diet. Just be a civilized human and do the cat scratch when done.

Steve Connally

Got the toxic chips chest. Chip truck went without dumping all last week and I had to dump Friday. Tried to hold my breath shoveling ships but it didn't work. Went to the Dr today and got oral steroids and an albuterol inhaler. They said to give it a week and if it doesn't get better then chest x rays. I'm beat, feel like crap and overall sick. Told the boss about it. He has never heard of it in the "30 years I've been doing this". It had to turn into a heated debate to get him to but a respirator for the chip truck. I don't understand his pushback on everything. I hope the Dr is correct in thinking its just an allergic reaction not a fungal infection in my lungs. None the less I feel like a bucket of hammered dog shit. Never again. I'll leave the truck half full if it doesn't completely dump next time. Not worth the risk of serious illness. January feels like a long time away. I can't wait to put this company experience behind me.

Steve Connally

Still sick. Day 10. Went to the Dr again today. Chest x ray clear. Blood and white blood cells in my urine. Urine culture, 2 blood cultures, 6 tubes of blood for tests from lyme, legionella, aspergillosis, liver/kidney function, autoimmune disorders, and just about everything else you can imagine. They have no idea. I've done prednisone, albuterol, zpack, some other stuff. Achy, increase in urination and flank pain, low-grade fever. This is frigging crazy. Should find out all the test results by friday. Also had an ultrasound on my kidneys and bladder.

96coal449

For those building a chip box.
Putting a small angle in the bottom of the bed, from the floor to the walls, will take the squareness out of the load. Helps allow for a complete dumping.