Chips toxic ?

Oroboros

Well-Known Member
#1
I shoveled some rotting chips out of my truck last night. (trying to keep the piles compact as space is tight) Some of it had been in the truck for over a week. Some was steaming and some was moldy.
I woke up around 1am with a fever and chest congestion. I got little sleep after that. This morning my fever is down but my chest is fairly congested still.
I'm wondering if my condition is related to breathing in the chip mold and gases.

Anyone have experience with this ?
 

rfwoodvt

Well-Known Member
#4
fungi are not fun guys...can really foul up the respiratory and dermal systems.

Allergens of all types can really send you into a spiral.

Wear a respirator when dealing with composting plant materials.
 

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
#7
[ QUOTE ]


What about underwear Tom?


[/ QUOTE ]

Cuz I was trying to keep this professional...


A client of mine had a load of chips dumped to use as mulch. They composted and got moldy. He got some nastiness in his lungs...made him really sick! Gave me a big respect for old chips in the portable compost machine...aka...chip truck.
 

Oroboros

Well-Known Member
#8
Feeling much better. Took yesterday off. Got some herbal tonic for lungs.. Lungs still a bit congested. climbed and cut today. Lesson learned. Masks in the truck from now on.
On the bright side I got a little extra sweetness from my Honey.
 

Frax

Well-Known Member
#9
This will do this same thing to me every time.

It will make me feel like I have the flu in my body for about a day - achy all over.

I find that wearing a paper mask if I have to pry the chips from the dump box solves the problem. But I also avoid breathing the fumes from the chips as much as possible when I'm dumping the truck.

I proper mask would be best I think.
 
#10
Got me so bad one time I was down to 30% lung capacity. was put on antibiotics and steroids. weeks till I was really back in the game. Dangerous stuff
 

Frax

Well-Known Member
#12
[ QUOTE ]
Are y'all sure it's the moldy chips or the multiple number 1& 2s that go on in the chip truck?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it is the molds.

Really? Taking a leak is one thing, but shitting in the chip truck? That's not OK IMO. That's NOT why its called a dump box. Just sayin'.
 
#14
[ QUOTE ]
Are y'all sure it's the moldy chips or the multiple number 1& 2s that go on in the chip truck?

[/ QUOTE ]

never use the truck as a facility and both times it happened to me it was a pile of chip that sat and then needed to be moved after sitting a few weeks. there was a white dusty mold-that was the culprit.
 

Daniel

Well-Known Member
#15
its definitely the mold..

we usually dump every day or two.. sometimes several times a day, and the truck is enclosed body.. but still stay out of the dust.. Don't even let the guys run the blowers around me... just sawdust and a little chipping (very little0 is enough to labor my breathing at night, when we are busy..

I think cardio would be good to help strengthen the lungs..
Been riding the bucket these days!
 

rfwoodvt

Well-Known Member
#17
We just chipped up a very rotten Pinus resinosa that didn't really chip, it "dusted."

Kinda hard to stay away from a cloud of that stuff and now my head is pounding, my sinuses feel like they've been filled with mud and my lungs are mucating (if that is even a word
) like there is no tomorrow.

That fungal stuff is just a recipe for disaster!
 

Treespotter

Well-Known Member
#18
I never thought of it as being a bad thing, neither thought of any relation with my own and other persons negative respiratory problems.
From now on I definitely will stay out of "The Cloud of Illness".
 
#19
We call it the chipper flu. The medical name is Farmer's Lung, a hypersensitivity pneumonitis.Whatever it is called, it isn't much fun.
 

treehumper

Well-Known Member
#20
That happened a few times when I first started in the business, like a 24 hr flu. We stopped leaving the chips in the truck. Always dump them so you're not in a position to have to dig them out or deal with mold.
 
Top