chipper PTO leaking

Jehinten

So I have the new seal in, and then it got dark. Working on this is a slow process between my full time job, placing bids and family time.
However I have a slightly related questions. I would like to give it an oil change since I had that cover off over the seal and if any gasket or sealant fell in it would be in my oil pan, not to mention it looks like it could use a change. Does anyone know the oil weight for a 4b3.9? My local source for parts is an oriellys and they do not have specs for equipment, only vehicles. If you know of any vehicles that came stock with this engine, that would be helpful as well as they could just look up that vehicle. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Jehinten

Thanks. I'm pretty new to diesel engines, so I wasn't sure where to even start. I do have an owner's manual for it, but they only mention how often to change it, not what to use.

flyingsquirrel25

All my diesels get rotella 15w40. Glad to see your machine is going back together nicely. While in there check your clutch, pilot bearing (engine side of the pilot shaft will say a lot if there is an issue) and belt too. It would really suck to go through all that trouble just to have to tear it down again to replace something else in there. I know I did it with a twin disk last year. Replaced the clutch twice because I didn’t check stuff out!
Good luck, wrenching on your own stuff is definitely fun!

Jehinten

Everything is looks good with the exception of normal clutch wear and a little damage to the teeth of the flywheel (the starter has been having a little trouble engaging) I have gotten a new starter (old one tested bad) and I am ordering a new ring gear for the flywheel today. Having a ring gear installed and flywheel turned is a $1,200 savings over buying a new flywheel from cummins.

Jehinten

I got everything back together today and ran some test pieces through it. I am still not certain what caused the shutdown to begin with, as the oil level never dropped enough for the murphy switch. But it is running now.

All together I replaced the rear main seal, new ring gear on the flywheel, resurfaced flywheel, new clutch plate, rebuilt clutch, new starter, oil change and filter, and new air filter is ordered. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $5-600 in parts and the labor on the flywheel and clutch. I'm planning on fuel filters soon just to finish the filters change, so that I know when all of that's been done.

I appreciate all the help and advice that was given, for this being a fairly popular chipper there doesn't seem to be a lot of maintenance/ repair info out there.

Bhk02

Hi. I am having the same problem. When we bought the chipper the previous owner said the rear main seal would need to be replaced in the near future. We ran it for about ten ten hours total with no leaks. It’s leaking now so I guess it’s time to replace. Do you happen to have the part number for the rear main seal.

Jehinten

Hi. I am having the same problem. When we bought the chipper the previous owner said the rear main seal would need to be replaced in the near future. We ran it for about ten ten hours total with no leaks. It’s leaking now so I guess it’s time to replace. Do you happen to have the part number for the rear main seal.

I don't have the part number readily available, although I should have the receipt stored away. This was from before I started scanning my receipts so I'll have to go through my paper copies.

Jehinten

@Jehinten

What is that username, anyway?

Have you flush the cooling system? Old coolant cools, but loses its anti-corrosion capacity, I've heard.

My user name is my first and middle initial and my last name. Justin Edward Hinten

I haven't flushed my coolant but it probably wouldn't hurt to.

Jehinten

Here is the o'Reilly receipt, the red arrow points their part number on it. 20190624_111039.jpg