Chip fired boiler

Anybody know anything about outdoor boilers that run on wood chips? It seems like there is some for huge commercial applications but not much for smaller residential or even large residential, (heating a home and a shop) use. As a tree guy heating with wood chips seems like the ultimate solution.

ATH

variable moisture content is going to make it a challenge... but when you have a relatively "unlimited" supply you can loose heat to cooking off the water.

OasisTree

Check out www.biomassenergytechniques.com

Here is a quote directly from their website -

Addressing a number of challenges facing the traditional sawdust burner systems, the BET Burner System operates best on green fuel with high moisture content, eliminating the costs associated with drying sawdust used as fuel, or purchasing highly processed, pelleted fuels. In addition, with no moving parts inside of the burner, maintenance and down time are also addressed.

I have been using their chip stove with wood chips from my Bandit drum chipper for 3 winters now to heat water for my floor heat. There is a bit of a learning curve but it is a very efficient system. You are burning the methane gas off of the chips, so 50% moisture is perfect.

OasisTree

Anybody know anything about outdoor boilers that run on wood chips? It seems like there is some for huge commercial applications but not much for smaller residential or even large residential, (heating a home and a shop) use. As a tree guy heating with wood chips seems like the ultimate solution.
FYI my shop is about 5,000 sq. ft. The small stove I have would easily heat more.

Jehinten

Well, the stove i have plus the 12' conveyor for the chips runs just under 15K, and then I built a small building (15' x 20') to house the setup and a 2-3 week supply of chips. You dont want the chips you are using to get rained on.

Just out of curiosity, I assume you have to shovel your chips onto your conveyer, do you run into the fumes that you find in the back of a chip box when it has to be shoveled out? I know the chip box chips only get that way after they have sat, but it often takes less than 2-3 weeks which is how long your saying that some of yours sits.

Also do you notice a corrosion issue in your storage building with the high moisture content?

Thanks for the answers,
Justin

OasisTree

Just out of curiosity, I assume you have to shovel your chips onto your conveyer, do you run into the fumes that you find in the back of a chip box when it has to be shoveled out? I know the chip box chips only get that way after they have sat, but it often takes less than 2-3 weeks which is how long your saying that some of yours sits.

Also do you notice a corrosion issue in your storage building with the high moisture content?

Thanks for the answers,
Justin
Hey Justin - Yes i do shovel the chips onto the conveyor. And I am fairly particular with the chips i use..the less bark and leaves the better. We actually save out logs between 6 and 12" and chip them just for the stove, so we have better fuel.
Yes there are some fumes..but they have not been an issue. The chips stick together, as you know, and I always knock down the chips for the next day right before I go out. That is when most of the fumes happen.
We have not noticed any corrosion issues. The stove keeps the building fairly warm, and I do have it insulated.