Can you work srt with just a prussik??

Discussion in 'Stationary Rope Technique-Half the rope, twice the' started by chinoakaphil, Mar 25, 2015.

1. smoke_eater166

smoke_eater166 New Member

What hitches are you referring to? I'm thinking if easing into SRT but WOW $$$$. To fully get into it I still need a friction device $160, a foot ascender $50, and a different climbing rope +$130. Since I'm only 160lb a SRT ascend/descend hitch would help till I can buy more gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2. rope-a-dope

rope-a-dope Well-Known Member

All this talk about ascenders and bungees and pulleys and chesties and special rope is not really beginner talk. The foot ascender is really the most expeansive thing you are going to want.
    Hitches can be tied with longer pieces of cord in order to produce enough friction to work on a single line, but that is experimental. The munter can be used for descending srt in combo with a normal hitch.
    The CMI glide pulley can be made into a rope wrench with the addition of a rope wrench slic pin.
    http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=763
    You just have to move the sheave and add a tether with some accessory cordage and creative problem solving. Mine is on the bottom shown with a zk2.
    20161013_175303.jpg
    Easing into srt is probably going to involve switching over to drt once you get up there so you can stay comfy climbing with familiar technique. So really you can start with all the old stuff just different techniques.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  3. smoke_eater166

Thank you rope-a-dope. I wasn't sure how to ease into it. My brother was my tree climbing go to expert but he's moving off and has zero srt experience. I wasn't sure it was ok to climb srt on a 12 stand arbor plex.

4. Z'sTrees

Z'sTrees Well-Known Member

12 strand is gonna be a rubber band on a single leg, also ascenders and mechanical hardware aren't gonna run very well on it. Double braid 11.5-12mm is a great all around rope. I prefer the all polyester yale 11.7's (ie blue moon or poison ivy).
    The cmi pulley rope wrench is pretty cool, guy I work with showed it to me the other day. Just have to remember the becket is not rated, which is fine in that configuration but not if you use it like a rigging wrench.

Edit: actually the becket is rated, good to go.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  5. Muggs

Muggs Well-Known Member

That was me, I climbed on a 5/8" rope for most of 2012 with just a 1/2" hitch cord and nothing else. It didn't bind up at all. I was thinking recently about going back to that setup, I really loved it. I ascended by footlocking the single leg of 5/8" (which is actually way easier than footlocking two legs of 1/2" in my opinion) and then worked the tree with just the rope and prusik. I call it my summer of extreme minimalism. Not for everybody, that's for sure, but interesting...

6. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

Check out the Experimental SRT thread for @castanea 's Synergy X hitch, and the Friction Hitch Questions in the Climber's forum for hitch that I came up with. Welcome any questions you might have.

Also instead of buying a foot ascender you could use the single foot footlock. It's some work to manage but you already have the gear you need!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    SomethingWitty and castanea like this.
  7. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Don't over complicate. Go back to the beginning.

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/feight-revolver.11030/

It it just me or are some of us so busy looking for the "newest" we forget/disregard the basics? I apply this statement widely to climbers, climbing tools and techniques in general.

I am fine with new climbers starting on SRT, but to have no inkling of the past and trying to recreate it, mistakes and all, seems silly.

Tony

colb and Raven like this.
  8. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Rope-a-dope, I would question both those set ups. On the wrench, it does not appear as if there is enough distance between to top of the knot and the bottom of the wrench to prevent conflict . Will the wrench flop past horizontal on that tether? If so, you are exaggerating the issue.

On the lower set up the pulley is not fit for purpose at all. That short tether looks like it will act as a reverse slack tender. Or what we call here a hitch hammer.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but they both appear to be "funny" at first glance

Tony

9. smoke_eater166

Z's Trees, in the past month or so I've been studying and playing with SRT with maybe 12 ft anchor point and climbing 3-4 ft off the ground, but TODAY I tried with an anchor at 40 ft and climbing 10 ft up. Wow! I didn't understand your rubber band comment about my arborplex 12 strand until today. I'm still going to keep trying to see what techniques will work for me on a budget. But when I do buy a new rope, is there a rope that works good SRT and DRT using natural crotches. Or do I need to use a friction saver?

10. Z'sTrees

Yale 11.7 (I.e. bluemoon, wtc) is great srt and is durable enough for some natural crotch ddrt. If you're gonna double rope alot why not use a friction saver?

11. smoke_eater166

You make a good point about the friction saver. I want to eventually move toward working off of SRT but for now I'm just gunna try to move toward ascending SRT and working/descending DRT.

Hvr4fun likes this.
  12. Z'sTrees

That's a good plan. Once you start working off srt you'll love it. It takes some getting used to but once you can literally wrap yourself around the tree with no added friction you'll be hooked

TimBr likes this.
  13. rope-a-dope

rope-a-dope Well-Known Member

Yea Tony they are funny! I made both tethers to be as short as possible without interfering with the hitch. The wrench engages right above the top coil as descent begins and disengages without sitting on the hitch. I tested them both a lot and like the wrench to be that close so that when going out sideways I can grab the wrench and "hammer" the hitch down to prevent the wrench from adding too much friction.
    You're right about the pulley. Unintended usage caveat should come first. But it works beautifully and it has been said before about the many iterations of wrenches: their purpose is merely to add friction as the hitch is responsible for fall protection. Not life rated is the short phrase!

colb likes this.
  14. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Fair enough. A 2" distance is preferable and highly recommended as distance between hitch and wrench. Be careful. A properly adjusted system is crucial for all climbing systems from tauntline MRS to Rope Wrench SRS. The recommendations alow us to learn from others' mistakes as opposed to our own.

I understand the point that the wrench is not life support. However, expecting the best and planning for the worst will never fail you. Also don't assume that the wrench and hitch split the load 50/50. Many variables and it is rarely the case. My informal testing shoed me the hitch can in fact be secondary to the friction device above.

I am all for DIY, but when it comes to climbing gear we depend on for life support, compromising safety and reliability for $$ is making a hazardous activity dangerous.

Tony

colb likes this.
  15. castanea

castanea Member

https://sterlingrope.com/logbook/117-friction-hitch-cord-testing-data

Someone needs to do way more testing like this, but you can see how some of those hitches went 40" down the rope before catching, and on Tech11 even actually hit the ground.

Also, I had been wondering if you could tie a double blakes hitch that equalizes between the two knots. Imagine having a split tail but instead it just loops around your biner and then you tie a second with that tail. Never tried it but was amused by the idea.

SomethingWitty likes this.
  16. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

I've tried the twin hitches, you're right about there having to be a loop between them so that both hitches receive the load at the same time and, hopefully, equally. You can do double eye hitches also. If I remember right, it was hard to descend because you had to work both hitches at the same time with equal amounts of pressure.

17. smoke_eater166

WOW! I just switched from the Blake's to the Distel. I tried the VT but didn't like it. I might have to try again. I really thought the Distel caught better than the VT.

18. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

How the VT functions depends on the number of wraps, braids, and the length of the eyes. It's best to use tied eyes to dial in a properly functioning VT. You can't always force a spliced or sewn hitch cord to work with their fixed lengths.

colb likes this.
  19. southsoundtree

southsoundtree Well-Known Member

Skimmed...I started with a wooden wrench.

20. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

If both hitches are anchored independently to your bridge you can descend on just one. Make sure you got enough rope!

GregManning likes this.