Bye Bye FL

Discussion in 'Rules and Regs' started by andrus kokerov, Jul 1, 2017.

1. andrus kokerov

andrus kokerov Active Member

So the ISA did put up the ruels for the new ascent event that will be in the ITCC this year. What you guys think about it? Which gear will rule? I personali am disapointed, cause i realy like footlocking and i find a well performed footlock beautyful to watch. Hope they keep the H2H around...

http://www.itcc-isa.com/Portals/0/docs/AscentEvent_Online.pdf

2. WaitakKauri

WaitakKauri Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of thoughts.

I think my biggest sadness is that this becomes more of a money event and less of a physical/technique.

This is from a horrible footlocker (I'm ok to 6m, then lack of training has a major negative effect on progress). I've not done an ascent event.

With footlock, I know training and technique will produce results. No extra gear is needed.

Watching footlock is great - it's beauty in motion. I love the comments of amazement from general public onlookers.

With ascent, I know I need $350+ for a mechanical device. Practice is required too, but nothing like footlock.

andrus kokerov likes this.
  3. WaitakKauri

WaitakKauri Well-Known Member

I also think the event will be difficult to time keep.

Now for some fun... how I'd want to replace footlock.

If I was designing the event, I'd think about a single start and single finish, both times taken on the ground. Maybe a second timer to a bell at the top of ascent at 15m-25m which could tie break.

I'd have the event be ascent and descent.

Ascent would be to a bell, then a small limb walk to a bell at a descent point. A descent point would have an anchor point for a redirect (climber installs) and ideally have an interesting tree structure scenario. Descent points are at differing radi from the top bell.

There could be 1-3 descent points depending on tree size.

The event starts and finishes on a circle ob the ground with stop time taken when climber is off rope and has two feet in the circle.

I think combining ascent and descent is a more arb like event, plus it would be a lot of fun.

Anyway, just some fun thoughts.

I'm looking forward to my first ascent event.

TimBr likes this.
  4. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Administrator

I haven't read the new rules so I have no clue

I'm with you on the ascent/traverse/descent scenario too

5. ARLO

ARLO Well-Known Member

I have advocated for this kind of event before, and am happy to see it being introduced because I think it will lead to a rapid evolution of techniques. And I am assuming that it will just be an additional event that will not take the place of the footlock?

6. JontreeHI

JontreeHI Well-Known Member

Another crappy footlocker here bummed to see it go. I really appreciate the pure athleticism of it. Now that I've finally broken 30 seconds, I'm hungry to improve.

Crazy_Jimmy and andrus kokerov like this.
  7. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

We've done this here in MN and it is fun, although I feel that the setup and changeover should not be a timed part of the event, as these are critical functions that require concentration not speed. The race is only from ground to bell IMO.

As a low 20s OK footlocker I will not miss it. I only FL for comps these days and it sucks. But yes it's kinda cool to watch the good ones so perhaps the head to head is a great way to keep it around for those who are the smoothest.

Also I believe that traditional footlocking is permissible in the new Open Ascent rules so if you're good you could still win it with that system. I'm glad to see the rules opening up to better reflect modern work practices, as long as they keep the belay everything "should" be safe

8. macswan

macswan Well-Known Member

I like the idea of just ascent. I prefer to footlock on rando. Days in the field when I feel primitive.

9. treebing

treebing Well-Known Member

this event will soon be decided in the hundredths of a second. people need to know how to foot lock smoothly. I think its a shame to lose the foot lock. its fundamental rope climbing

10. andrus kokerov

andrus kokerov Active Member

High five on that.

11. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

So reading through the rules, the fastest time won't guarantee you a win. Potentially if you are within 12 seconds of the fastest time (assuming they don't score well in the setup and change over times) and you score max points in the setup and change over you could win the event with a way slower time. The way the rules are written does reward simple and fast systems. I think footlocking could still win this event handily.

I agree that the footlock is a fun athletic movement and there is something very cool about being able to ascend the tree without any fancy gadgets. but the comps should be a place to showcase safe innovative work practices and that would include ascending 50' of free hanging rope in the way that you are most comfortable with. The highest scorer could still footlock.

JontreeHI likes this.
  12. macswan

macswan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can see both sides

13. Jem4417

Jem4417 Well-Known Member

Could they do both or is that too much? Never competed and suck at traditional footlock but it's so badass

14. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

There is still the optional head to head footlock event. typically that is done at the larger comps like NATCC

15. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

So for those that were there, how did the inaugural Ascent Event go? @Mark Chisholm