Budgeting for Oak Wilt treatment

Treelimbjim

I am looking at budgeting for treatment of, or rather, the attempt at preventing oak wilt. Injections, Alamo, and such. This presently is something that will be happening every two years, so the powers that be would like to be prepared.

I would like historical data and trends on what has been charged for this treatment and some information as to the price fluctuations of the raw materials. I'm pretty sure I can make a good estimation for the future.

This might not be a good thing to openly post in forum content since I am asking what may be sensitive information from some. Please feel free to contact me off line at the address below.

Jim Dunlap
Arborist, Southern Methodist University
dunlap@smu.edu

Babberney

Jim,

Is this even advisable? I've always heard preventative treatment is not a good idea unless a clear threat is present (i.e., an infected tree within a few hundred feet).

Since each injection requires new holes to be drilled, ongoing biannual treatments are going to take a serious toll on the trees in question.

Or do you know something I don't?

Keith

Treelimbjim

With the question raised as it is, simply, the fungus is amongus. A high percentage of the population of trees on campus are oak and an even higher percentage if you look at diameter-inches.

We do not wish this to spread and are examining the economic where-with-all to battle it.

Presently it is treating an outbreak and everything in 150 foot radius gets treated. I checked the aerial surveys and the affected tree was planted a few years before 1938. Its a 22" DBH.

Its one of those difficult positions of being the service provider and the customer at the same time.

I would hope the treatments would evolve soon to reduce the imposition on the trees. The question in particular is the historical trends for the cost of this sort of treatment.

Jim Dunlap
Arborist, Southern Methodist University
dunlap@smu.edu

Nathan

I don't have to tell you that the theories can get wild with the subject of oak wilt.

Oakwilt and Alamo injections were my gateway into tree care after TX A&M. I always consider it a damage control situation. Once you assume that everything will not be saved and it is a damage control issue, you have a place to start.

I agree with Keith that proactive infusions are unnecessary but at the same time, a failing vascular system (infected tree) takes the fungicide poorly. That is why I concentrate on the healthy trees 1st.

Here comes the problem for some, how do you measure success??

Best attack plan would be to do injections in house. A liter or Alamo is $230-$250, so figure $250 for 100 diameter inches.

All the fungicide in the world won't help if your injection technique is sloppy. Only use macro, use sharp bits (high helix), only inject good tissue, save excavation time and just inject flares.

I have had success with this in the Austin and Fredericksburg areas. Again, how do you measure success?? Step one is to look outside TFS and other basic protocols. Things vary. I am convinced there are different strains of wilt. In the Comfort and Sisterdale areas, there seems to be a super wilt with low success rates.

On a university like that, minimize vectors and wounding like trash trucks and buses wounding trees on a daily basis due to poor clearance......

The theories could go on and on......

Let us know what management plan you use.

Nate

RGus

I had an internship this past summer working with oak wilt in Minnesota. I visited many residences that had treated oak wilt on their property. The treatment method mostly used was after infection they would come in with a vibritory plow and make primary and secondary trenches. I am sure you all know about that.

I found it interesting that in some properties oak wilt would be treated once and it would be gone. But on other properties the owners would treat it 2-3 times, but it would keep spreading.

But not many people in the area would use preventative injections due to the high costs.