Brand new ms661 bog (Mtronic 3.0)

LordFarkwad

661 bogs to the point of cutting off with quick throttle application afternoon cold start, to the point of cutting off. Seems much better, even nonexistent, after warming up, but that takes several minutes. With slow throttle application, no problem.

Ran Mtronic calibration and it immediately improved drastically, but still hesitated until warming up a few minutes. After that, it performed great.

Is this common for them to take that long to warm up? Due to big block? I've never opened or operated a saw this large, so I don't know what to expect. The calibration helped allot, maybe even got rid of the issue entirely once saw was warm, but does all this sound normal?

Background: Purchased about 2 months ago, brand new from dealership. Has seen nothing but Stihl motomix in it. Probably has less than 10 tanks through it, maybe 6. Noticed the issue after it had sat for the past month without being run. Started it up yesterday and, before calibration, it was really having a time. After, it seemed much better.

Jehinten

661 bogs to the point of cutting off with quick throttle application afternoon cold start, to the point of cutting off. Seems much better, even nonexistent, after warming up, but that takes several minutes. With slow throttle application, no problem.

Ran Mtronic calibration and it immediately improved drastically, but still hesitated until warming up a few minutes. After that, it performed great.

Is this common for them to take that long to warm up? Due to big block? I've never opened or operated a saw this large, so I don't know what to expect. The calibration helped allot, maybe even got rid of the issue entirely once saw was warm, but does all this sound normal?

Background: Purchased about 2 months ago, brand new from dealership. Has seen nothing but Stihl motomix in it. Probably has less than 10 tanks through it, maybe 6. Noticed the issue after it had sat for the past month without being run. Started it up yesterday and, before calibration, it was really having a time. After, it seemed much better.
I've not noticed any problems with my 661, its about the same age as yours, I have heard that the air filters getting dirty will mess with the mtronic more so than a normal carb. Even filters that visibly look clean can be dirty enough to cause issues.

LordFarkwad

Okay, man - I forgot to mention that taking the cover and filter completely off seemed to correlate heavily to the bogging phenomenon. But, I'm talking, this filter is sparkling. There are some chips in the filter's baffles, but holy crap, I can't imagine keeping this thing clean enough to run flawlessly if it's that sensitive to air filter obstruction.

However, I did notice a heavy correlation between whether or not I had the filter and cover on or off.

LordFarkwad

Also - all of this bogging phenomenon happens when I've just started the saw - I'm not referring to any behavior while actually cutting.

LordFarkwad

I've not noticed any problems with my 661, its about the same age as yours, I have heard that the air filters getting dirty will mess with the mtronic more so than a normal carb. Even filters that visibly look clean can be dirty enough to cause issues.
J, is yours 100% there on a quick throttle blip, no hesitation at all?

hseII

Are you certain it is a Version 3.0?

What’s the tag on the handle say?

I’m not a fan of the motomix myself but to each his own.

I’m also not familiar with stock saws, but I do know that once modded, these saws are relatively trouble free.

Matter of fact, with stiffening of the springs, Ported 661Rs do well with 36”-41” .404”.

Probably the most useful modern all around larger saw in my opinion.

Back to your question,
Are you on any other forums?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LordFarkwad

Not active on any other forums. I may have a username registered on a couple, but this is pretty much the only one that I've ever posted on, because of the climbing info.

Tag says "M3.0". My understanding is that that indicates it is rev 3.0. had to look it up to know how to calibrate it.

If there's something better than Moto mix, I'll run it. If it's of questionable/arguable superiority (i.e., Chevy vs Ford), I'd just stick with the factory stuff. But, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if there was something much superior to the MM (due to some kind of regs from the EPA).

Edit: actually, I searched emails, and I'm registered here, ArboristSite, and ForestryForum. Reckon I should make a post there? I almost want to just try letting her warm up (read somewhere else in the last few hours confirming what @Mowerr was saying, that the larger saws do take longer to warm up) and see if that clears things up 100%, before I go getting even more folks to spend time posting for my benefit.

Last edited:

Barc Buster

As a rule I avoid all the shit flinging on Arborist site. You might want to take this question over to ope forum. Or simply do a search over there the 661 has been talked about extensively there.

I think you should try switch your mix oil. Thicker oils seem to play hell a bit with the mtronic/autotune saws. Dolmar synthetic, echo red armor, schaeffer 7000 or 9000 are all great 2 stroke mix oils.

I personally like the schaeffer's oil. Some of the cleanest wash patterns I've ever seen on piston crowns, which means its very clean burning.

hseII

As a rule I avoid all the shit flinging on Arborist site. You might want to take this question over to ope forum. Or simply do a search over there the 661 has been talked about extensively there.

I think you should try switch your mix oil. Thicker oils seem to play hell a bit with the mtronic/autotune saws. Dolmar synthetic, echo red armor, schaeffer 7000 or 9000 are all great 2 stroke mix oils.

I personally like the schaeffer's oil. Some of the cleanest wash patterns I've ever seen on piston crowns, which means its very clean burning.
Sound Advice @LordFarkwad.

Tag Tree Monkey& Redbull661, Huskihl, & Mastermind.

Between those 3 porters, I bet they’ve handled more 1144s than probably the next 3 folks doing them.

I know for a fact Huskihl has done 6 for the Flyin’ Dutchman.

Last edited:

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Yo yo yo. Got a 661 that is four years old has cut a lot of wood. Has a nice muffler mod but that is it. Rips a 36 but a 28 lives on it. Three or four pulls choked on cold and she fires. Then a quick couple of tevs into full rev and shes ready to eat wood. Dirty filter means nothing to her. Still clean it out often. I do not baby my current saw like days of old.

hseII

Yo yo yo. Got a 661 that is four years old has cut a lot of wood. Has a nice muffler mod but that is it. Rips a 36 but a 28 lives on it. Three or four pulls choked on cold and she fires. Then a quick couple of tevs into full rev and shes ready to eat wood. Dirty filter means nothing to her. Still clean it out often. I do not baby my current saw like days of old.
The 1122 spanned from 1985ish till around 2013- 064, 066, MS660. There were around 13 different cylinders within this family, almost as many different coils, 6-7 different flywheels, etc.

The 1144 is less than 7 years old & already there are 4 different cylinders, 5 different coils, & a host of other updates.

It’s amazing how much that saw has evolved in its short life.

MTronic is nice in my opinion due to a host of variables related to modern 2 stroke rules.

hseII

Okay, man - I forgot to mention that taking the cover and filter completely off seemed to correlate heavily to the bogging phenomenon. But, I'm talking, this filter is sparkling. There are some chips in the filter's baffles, but holy crap, I can't imagine keeping this thing clean enough to run flawlessly if it's that sensitive to air filter obstruction.

However, I did notice a heavy correlation between whether or not I had the filter and cover on or off.
The Modern HD filters are designed to go thru the dishwasher.

I’m not sure your dishwasher operator will approve, but Mother Stihl approves.

colb

I run my 2-3 year-old 661 with ethanol gas + enzyme additive, with standard hp stihl mixed in. My only problem is restarting after it has either sat in the sun or run really really hard. Last time I had that issue I was sawing 45" trunk wood - about 5 cuts. In either case, I can let it sit 10 minutes and start it up. I have not changed out original filter. The saw has been extremely reliable.

Jehinten

J, is yours 100% there on a quick throttle blip, no hesitation at all?
I've not noticed any hesitation. Fired up and cut through this 5.5' diameter trunk with no issues the first day I owned it.

The picture doesn't really do it justice until you see the mini skid parked next to it. 20190513_195939.jpg