Boots!

Hello WOTT! My apologies if this topic has been raised before or if this isn't the right place to ask, I looked through this forum and others and couldn't find a thread. Anyhow: boots! I'm just starting out in the industry and am mystified/overwhelmed by all the options out there. Everyone in my office wears a different style and has different preferences so I get a different answer from everyone, "traditionalists wear loggers, progressives wear hiking boots, these are mountaineering boots" etc. I'm currently using an old pair of combat boots for groundwork, which are great for that but I'm not sure how they're going to do climbing. Also, men's vs women's fit? What do you wear and why?

Also any advice for a total noob is very much appreciated :) I've been working in the horticultural field for seven years and working with young trees for two, but this is my first foray into arboriculture

Meindl airstreams are the go to standard here, love mine, comfortable from the first day to now. Last pretty decently but don't have some of the whizz bang features of some of the other brands but comfort wise, haven't heard of anything better.

Welcome Lumberjackie! I am new to the field as well. I used combat boots on the ground but the soles kinda skated me around in a tree. I had a pair of Chippewa logger boots. . . lasted three months before getting holes in the uppers and they had zero traction in a tree. I recently bought a pair of Asolo Neutrons and love them. Good traction in a tree; comfortable on the ground. Not sure of longevity though.

I have heard good things about the Meindels and will be saving for those next. My crew leader wears Georgia Logger boots and the other crew leader wears Scafell Lites.

ATH

I really like Asolo Neutron boots. They are pretty reasonable on Sierra Trading. They hold up really well and are very comfortable. Not my "go to" boots for climbing, but I'll use them for a quickie because I have them on every day. (I actually have 2 pair and switch back and forth - letting boots dry out between wearing them really extends the life - original pair is going on 3 years of every other day use). Also wore them backpacking the Grand Canyon with no boot-related discomfort.

I have had several pair of Keen Targhee. Super comfortable boots (probably even more so than the Asolos). They are grippy in the tree and a little more flexible, but they just don't hold up. They cost 80% of what the Asolo costs, but last less than 1/4 of the time.

For climbing, I have Drayer Tango Light boots. They are great in the tree, but not all that comfortable on the ground. I change into them as I'm clipping into the rope and take them off pretty quick once I get down. Besides not wearing less comfortable boots walking around, I also have dry soles with no mud on them. They are more expensive, so this will make them last longer as well. I did the same thing with the first generation of ArbPro boots. I really liked those, but they are no longer made. The new ones are too bulky for my taste in the tree...but they are probably better on the ground. I some folks balk at changing boots. I see it as 45 seconds out of a 10 hour day...to have more comfortable feet.

If I only had one pair, it would be the Asolo Neutrons...

Its definately worth the money to have boots custom made! I love logger style boots due to the ankle support. Most boot makers can make you what you want. Companies such as Nicks, Jk, and Franks. It will set you back around 5 bills but you will get years from a set!

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Hello WOTT! My apologies if this topic has been raised before or if this isn't the right place to ask, I looked through this forum and others and couldn't find a thread. Anyhow: boots! I'm just starting out in the industry and am mystified/overwhelmed by all the options out there. Everyone in my office wears a different style and has different preferences so I get a different answer from everyone, "traditionalists wear loggers, progressives wear hiking boots, these are mountaineering boots" etc. I'm currently using an old pair of combat boots for groundwork, which are great for that but I'm not sure how they're going to do climbing. Also, men's vs women's fit? What do you wear and why?

Also any advice for a total noob is very much appreciated :) I've been working in the horticultural field for seven years and working with young trees for two, but this is my first foray into arboriculture
@Lumberjackie get some of the new arbpro clipnsteps. The soles are soft but unbeatable comfort and grip the tree like no other, you can resole them easy with even more sticky Vibram. they will bring you so much joy. A boot made for climbers. I hate bulky heavy chainsaw boots even on gaffs.

fitz

My wife climbs and has big feet but men's boots still don't fit her well, they might fit you but I think men's boots are just different enough you might not be happy with them.

She has been using Asolo but just got a pair of SALEWA MS MOUNTAIN TRAINER and likes them. They are supposed to be very popular among tree climbers and I can see why. Very grippy Vibram sole, allow a lot of forward and back movement so they don't feel like ski boot so you can maneuver. On the mid part of the sole they have these grippy dimples that are awesome for foot locking and keep your foot ascenders in place. Light weight for a boot and very comfortable.

https://www.backcountry.com/salewa-...NUyBNT1VOVEFJTiBUUkFJTkVSIE1JRCBHVFggd29tZW5z

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
footlocking… ha ha ha.... Salewa mountain trainers are great boots but the new model was disappointing.. I have had 5 pairs....I can see a lady liking them.