Bix lift cutting trees in Cali

Stihlmadd

Thanks Daniel,
I have the same nervous feel about the spider lifts as opposed to a dedicated bucket truck.
having said that the Omni is the better one on the market out of the odd dozen I have used.
Listening to Bixler sweating bullets on the ground was epic - cracked me up
:D
O ye of little faith
:)

Daniel

Ya me too.. I must have watched some of those clips 20 times during editing and still laugh out loud at his unbridled expression of fear.. Told my old co-worker it was fun to listen to someone else have to sweat it for once...

Daniel

I got a message from another highly respected climber and a true innovator in the industry, calling this an example of "pure laziness", continuing, that there was plenty of room in the drop zone, everything could have been bombed, and therefore without needing to rig, the fact that it was a compromised tree is insignificant. Concluding that unless there isn't a climber on the crew the lift was unnecessary..

Interesting perspective...........

I replied as follows: Pure laziness is one of my specialties ;)

While that's actually true and one of my proudest achievements (LOL) the subject of laziness is a bit off topic... so let's save that for another thread and address his points...

When Bix was narrating: talking about one of the nice things about using the lift is that "you don't have to climb those compromised trees", I AM pretty sure he was making a general statement about the lift, and not so much about this tree.. The old wound on this tree may have looked bad to the lay person, but on this individual and species, it didn't have much of a compromising effect. Hardly any decay in that wound. I would have lowered that whole top if needed without worrying about the tree failing.. So on this tree safer cutting from the lift may not have been an issue, but there are plenty more bad trees that do create a safety issue. The lift just takes one safety concern out of the calculations. And that can be huge, when the safety concern is "if I make this cut will I die here?", and the answer is often unclear as the variable of the tree's structural stability is an unknown....

I've taken hug tops out of trees from the bucket with no room to let it run and watched those tops springboard back and forth in a way you would NEVER want to ride in the hooks..... That's a lot of fun to watch creating a feeling of happiness from the thought, "Thank God I don't have to take those nasty rides anymore"..

Our critic's other point that the tree could have been bombed out without lowering by a climber because there was a wide open drop zone warrants some discussion as well... While the lift itself did create an obstacle to work around, there was an entire lead growing over the conifers that was not filmed .. The last cuts of that lead can be seen in the first two cut shown on the video, right around 5:00

That lead would have been a very difficult, near impossible to bomb, without lowering, if you were on rope and saddle... Just reaching the branch tips, needed to cut small enough pieces to thread through the lower canopy would have been very difficult. More importantly, the bucket provides a stability and work positioning relative to the cut, making it a lot easier to cut and chuck or throw a piece as it falls.... No climber would have bombed that lead, it would have been much faster and easier to rig out in big pieces...

I think that tree took me just over an hour to bomb out to the spar, and it would have been faster if I had some experience with the controls on the lift... I've seen a lot of fast climbers and our critic is one of them. I've seen him make quick work of monster trees in person, but there is no way any climber would have had this tree down faster.

I think its an interesting topic.. what do you think???

I got together with Brian Bixler of Tree Safe Inc to go for a ride in his 90' Omni track lift. Didn't realize how much fun I was having until I heard the video of Bix begging God for help when he saw the pieces I was bombing next to his new baby!
Just watch it yesterday. Great video. You both need to make more videos showing your work and experience.

Joke aside, been in the business coming to 3 years now. Everything started once I watched one Reg video, i didn't know such industry existed, climbing/rigging etc. I felt in love with it, and emerge myself into it, I watched thousands of led hours on YouTube, bought everything I can get my hands on books, dvds etc. I just love, love everything about it. I watched all of your videos, literally every single one of them. I'm 32 I've owned my company since 2016, I stay connected with other tree guys in my area, we sometimes work toegether and try to stay humble and always open to learning.

A friend of mine has the same lift here just outside of Detroit. I have rented it from him 4 times over the last 2 years. 2 were hazard removals with no crane/bucket access. 2 were huge silver maple trims, full tip reductions.

It is an awesome machine. The 4 jobs I used it on would have been much slower or the quality of work would not have been the same without it. One of the removals I had planned on taking 3 hours of work with the lift. I spent about a half hour getting it set up and an hour getting the tree on the ground. All things considered, in my location and in my business I prefer having a crane and bucket truck. If my company were bigger I would take all 3 :birra:

Equipment is here to make our lives safer and easier. When you have it, you use it. You use it whenever if you can I would call it smart laziness!

Daniel

Joke aside, been in the business coming to 3 years now. Everything started once I watched one Reg video, i didn't know such industry existed, climbing/rigging etc. I felt in love with it, and emerge myself into it, I watched thousands of led hours on YouTube, bought everything I can get my hands on books, dvds etc. I just love, love everything about it. I watched all of your videos, literally every single one of them. I'm 32 I've owned my company since 2016, I stay connected with other tree guys in my area, we sometimes work toegether and try to stay humble and always open to learning.
That's a great story and a confirmation that the videos produced by Reg ,August, and others can make a big impact on people's lives...... in 1982 there was no internet or other resources to learn from. You were pretty much stuck with learning from your crew and whatever insights you could glean while sitting on a bar stool. And back in those days if you were in your 30's you were the old man on the crew..

Stay safe and keep having fun... Arboriculture offers a great gift: to be able to have passion for your job. 35 years later I still love it!

Thanks Daniel, I've learn a lot from your videos. I need more brother lol. I know you gotta have a ton of stuff you recorded you haven't posted due to time or what not.

Well done Daniel really enjoyed watching this video and good call on the use of the lift my policy is if I has any injury or decay/hangers we use the bucket if at all possible to mitigate the risk even tho this is a calculated risk job but excellent job

Daniel

My policy is if the bucket truck can get tot he tree I use the bucket... At 57 I AM an eternal optimist and hope to get back into climbing shape sometime.... though I'll never wear standard hooks again....I would love to go heads up with a world class climber on a technical removal and see who's faster... Having worked with several phenomenal climbers I would bet on me in the bucket..

Daniel

WHO SAYS?????
There are plenty of technical removals with access from the bucket... The rigging skills needed are what make it technical IMO... and maybe falling skills if the stick is complicated.... Ya that's it.... what makes it technical are the technical skills needed to get it done..

Flex Abednego

Is Bixler as up tight in real life as he seems in the video? I’ve always had a really bad feeling about him. Seems like he is hiding something very very dark. Just be safe Daniel