Big Saw - HUSKY OR STIHL

viewscaping

Need a big saw - am looking at the Husky 575 and Husky 385 and the Stihl 460. Looking for any input you can give me on these saws to help me decide where to spend my money - they aint cheap. Thanks

Axman

The Sthil 46 has been a very good reliable saw for us. Excellent power to weight, reliable starting, haven't had trouble with ours except the usual wear maintenance replacement parts. Keep the air filter clean, it is sensitive to a slightly dity filter

Larry

ehp

If it was up to me, the 575 would be last on my list and if you could get a 372 would be first , there is nothing wrong with the other 2 saws you are looking at the 460 works well as does the 385

richhoffman

[ QUOTE ]
Get a Dolmar 7900 or 372 and have ehp work his magic...and you'll have a saw that will outcut an 066.....

Bill's Saw Shop http://www.getsaws.com/ has 372 pwr heads for $489, while they last. Bailey's has them also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Roger, things must have changed at Bill's. They list the 372 for $585!

Al57

Well gents,I don't consider a saw as big until it is over 90 cc's.Then again,opinions may differ.

123IMIN

The Stihls, although I'm partial to Husky,are a better made saw and have better dealer support. If they didn't Stihl wouldn't be able to supply parts for a 50 year old saw, such as the 090.
Also, I think Stihl stands up better to hammerfisted operators, and will therefore sustain more use.
I like Husky because it feels good in my hands and I like the way they look and sound.
To answer your question though, if you want a Stihl, you simply can't go wrong with any of their pro models. If you want a Husky, the 372, 385, 357 are superb saws. Also, don't be afraid to get a 359 either.
It's all good once you have eclipsed the learning curve.
John

thattreeguy

i run an older 066 and a 372 husky. i like them both, my stihl pulls a 42" bar and my husky pulls a 32 or 36" bar. they run great. i like the husky 346 for for a 20" saw. i DO NOT like the brand new big stihls. i just got a load of new saws at work and the stihls are so sensitive . i run a husky 575 with a 2 ft bar and it pulls pretty good...it's a toss up i buy big huskys, and small top handle stihls tlak to the mechanic and see what they fix a lot of on each model

123IMIN

Another thing that is fair to mention about Stihl is their resale value. A 10 year old Stihl in good condition will usually fetch face value. How many 50 year old Huskys have you seen or heard of lately? But 50 year Stihls abound like the 090. This isn't a bash on Husky as Husky is my saw of choice. Both saws speak for themselves, however ultimately it's the operator behind the powerhead that makes it get up and talk.
John

glens

Hey John, they're showing a TV commercial lately around here (Indianapolis station) with a guy running a piped Husky (generation with the one-sided chain brake) felling a big tree. After the tree drops, that gay-looking Burger King guy is standing there with a sandwich.

123IMIN

Glen, that sounds like a real classic lol
Better save that one to your hard drive so you can show Butch. lol

Bevis

[ QUOTE ]
The Stihls, although I'm partial to Husky,are a better made saw and have better dealer support. If they didn't Stihl wouldn't be able to supply parts for a 50 year old saw, such as the 090.

John

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason that Stihl can supply parts for an old saw like the 090 is because they still make them for some areas of the world. Try getting parts for an 031 or 041 or something else that age, Good luck!

Stihls aren't any tougher than a Husqvarna, just look at that guy Gyno Logger from that other site. That guy has run over several new Huskys with his skidder or dropped trees on them and he can still make them work. Can you say that about a Stihl?

R_Schra

[ QUOTE ]

Stihls aren't any tougher than a Husqvarna, just look at that guy Gyno Logger from that other site. That guy has run over several new Huskys with his skidder or dropped trees on them and he can still make them work. Can you say that about a Stihl?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i can

As they arent any thougher as the husqvarna's i call them equal.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> &lt;beeing smart mode&gt; </pre><hr />

If you are stupid enough to run over ya husqies and fix um you can do the same /forum/images/graemlins/9lame.gif thing with stihls.

/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> &lt;/beeing smart mode&gt; </pre><hr />

/forum/images/graemlins/damnmate.gif/forum/images/graemlins/banned.gif

Al57

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

John

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason that Stihl can supply parts for an old saw like the 090 is because they still make them for some areas of the world. Try getting parts for an 031 or 041 or something else that age, Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ] Now Now,who said ole John ever got them running again?He did try and peddle them on e-bay though.You now ole Gypo,always a jokester. /forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

TreeCo

Gypo had new 088's on ebay for $999. not long ago. Now that's a good deal. I believe I saw 3120's for $899 and that is what I paid for mine. Now I wish I'd got an 088 but oh well and so it goes.

thattreeguy

god i hate that burger king guy .. anyone else want to see him drug around behind a skidder? how about stuffed into a chipper by a bunch of redneck loggers..or climbers(note i am a redneck and am not denegrating the working class so dont get political on me)
stihl vs husky..sounds like we need to get the manufacturers to go up against each other....don't be afraid to run over a saw..it happens to the best of us ..although a true idiot wil back up to see what just made the truck bounce

Axman

[ QUOTE ]
god i hate that burger king guy .. anyone else want to see him drug around behind a skidder? how about stuffed into a chipper

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Yes and Yes, I've seen that commercial too, too bad the saw is a Husky, I don't know what BK is thinking when they use that guy as some sort of icon, it definately does not make me want to hop into my car and go get a Whopper that is for sure.

Larry

Phil

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it definately does not make me want to hop into my car and go get a Whopper that is for sure.

Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps that is because they are not advertising a whopper...it is a new sausage, bacon, canadian bacon...heartattack on a hoggie bun...yummmmmm.

Sorry...i have nothing to offer on the Stihl vs Husky conversation so i decided to argue symantics

thattreeguy

phill, remember the previous commercial wher the king peeks in the guys window and hands him a b fast sandwich, later is surrounded by forrest animals like he's snow white or something...
lets see that happen at my house .B.king gets 2 ft from my window and my 70pound brindle pit jumps up and grabs him by the neck and pins him to the ground waiting for her mom or dad to come from the house, toting a 12 vgauge or a 223 if he did break free...ever seen american history x? picture the king being "curbed"
as far as the saws.. some saw shops have demo saws go cut a few logs into firewood..and see what you like for yourself..Phill i just left confusion recently, now im over here in "clarity"surprised i didnt see you on the riverbar have fun