Big leaf maple

monkeylove

Nice vid Reg. Always amazed how you make the work look so smooth. On a side note...make sure you bust the kids balls for not protecting his eyes while he was falling that stem in the beginning of the vid.

John Uselding

Great edit Reg! The different camera angles showed the work really well. Awesome cutting and control as usual. Looked like a great day.

deevo

Thanks

Steve that's a great pic in your avatar. Can you post a bigger version here ?
I've got the original on my phone, I took that of Steve at the craneman inc. crane safety course. I'll see if I can post it bigger if Steve doesn't beat me to it. Oh yeah great video and work as usual Reg.
Devon

deevo

We went late that night due to rain the day before, sorry the others were a bit grainy
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reg

2016-05-27 21.22.03.jpg G0022226 (1024x768).jpg G0022252 (1024x768).jpg G0043011 (1024x768).jpg 2016-05-27 21.22.50.jpg TL000355 (1024x768).jpg TL000481 (1024x768).jpg TL000623 (1024x768).jpg TL000624 (1024x768).jpg TL000643 (1024x768).jpg I think they're great. The light in late afternoon always makes good for good pics.

I got some photos here from the same site I took out the maple.

Jem4417

Saw the wrench on your saddle for the maple. Did you anticipate a changeover to srt, or did I miss the switch?

Reg

Saw the wrench on your saddle for the maple. Did you anticipate a changeover to srt, or did I miss the switch?
It's always on the saddle. For some reason I thought Ddrt would be the better choice on thay tree....but regretted it soon after setting a redirect.

Yes, it's being picked up today Devon. Thanks

Reg

What made you think double would be better?
I didn't so much think it'd be better, just not much worse either. But it was, really annoying.....line friction, slack tending, redirects. Limited options and wasted effort. Even on an easy climb like that, it was annoying. I know there's a ton of stock still to be sold, money to be made by investors who have influence in the industry....but its hard to justify any preference to it now days. Deny it however much they want, you can't hold back the tide.

Reg

Is there an instance where you feel double has a clear upper hand over single?
It's still a matter of opinion....but in mine there's still a few basic tasks where an advantage might be gained Ddrt. Such as, ascending a tree without a throw line, should such a situation arise; Inbound limb walking, whereby optimum and constant line tension is preferable; Basic line retrieval....whether that be a single tree, transferring between an infinite number of trees without touching down, and that involved with crane work of course. Beyond that it's hard to make a valid argument. Not saying climbers can't be as fast or faster using Ddrt....but speed and efficiency are not necessarily the same thing. Comparatively speaking, I'd say Ddrt is somewhat wasteful.

southsoundtree

In-bound line walking can be given the same type of constant tension if its set with a 3:1 before starting the limbwalk, as simply as a biner clove-hitched to the main part of the line.

Reg

In-bound line walking can be given the same type of constant tension if its set with a 3:1 before starting the limbwalk, as simply as a biner clove-hitched to the main part of the line.
That's true Sean. But it takes more line and is slower. I generally don't bother with it, but each to their own.

Stihlmadd

dang getting too set in my ways Reg - my hackles almost went up reading about Ddrt being spoken of in that light.
liked the angles you are achieving with that selfie pole - another climber on here recently - treewizard was also doing the pole thing.
went with your suggestion on the rigging ropes - enjoying the results so far.
Ben
IMG_2542.jpg