Big black walnut

Woodwork

I know this is an old thread, but didn't want to start a new one to ask this:

How are black walnuts to climb? Got one about 40' tall, maybe 26" DBH in yard that I want to start messing with (new to me) SRT method and gadgetry...but I have never climbed one. Are they brittle? Would like to eventually walk out on some limbs on it (they need to be trimmed back).

Thanks--

evo

How are black walnuts to climb? Got one about 40' tall, maybe 26" DBH in yard that I want to start messing with (new to me) SRT method and gadgetry...but I have never climbed one. Are they brittle? Would like to eventually walk out on some limbs on it (they need to be trimmed back).

Thanks--
They are fun as shit. I wouldn’t say brittle, but the small stuff isn’t super strong. Certainly softer than an oak, or madrona. But fragile or brittle isn’t a word I’d use. Somewhere in the middle?!

rico

Beautiful work Sgfinco!! I don't think I have ever seen a nicer Walnut tree.

Sgfinco

Thanks--
Like @evo said they're decent, pretty flexible, tend to be a little leggy, and small diameter wood isn't super strong.
Usually their growth habit lends themselves quite well to srt trickery.

Thanks @rico means a lot coming from you! Once in a while us midwwesterners get a fun tree to play around in!

rico

I have a really shitty internet hookup so its tough for me to see what device your climbing on?

dsptech

Every dam Walnut tree I've either pruned or removed in the past 4 yrs were loaded with Carpenter ants.
Most of them hollowed do a degree or turned to mush in the main stem or large limbs.
Must be a North East issue.