BEWARE OF HRC Eye to Eye tails

lonniels

I dont know if this has been covered but be extremely careful with eye to eye tails made out of the HRC material! I had purchased these tails and had a problem with the core material hemorraging through the outer sheath, so I contacted Sherrill tree and they informed me they were aware of the problem and it sounds like it might be a wide spread problem. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL!!!

Blinky

That's definitely peculiar. The core doesn't look right... kinda like there's something else (gray) in there with the Vectran (light tan). So the core just popped out?

I wonder if it has something to do with the grizzly splice.

lonniels

It is very odd, the core just started to pop out and the core underneath the sheath felt "weak" in several areas. The core started to come out in several areas. Very disheartening when up in a tree.

marlinspiker

ive heard the latest batch of hrc is somewhat prone to problems as compared to earlier versions. ive had the same issues as illustrated plus excessive milking.

Dan_Watkins

thats exactly what happened to mine! i loved the way the HRC performed on my lava, but after 8 climbs, over 3 days, thats what happened. i bought the eye to eye from sherill tree, so i emailed them with pictures. i wanted to see if it was a splice issue or a product issue. i heard nothing from them after repeated emails.

Blinky

I've never had that problem with hand spliced HRC and I've made a passel of'em.

Last Icetail I bought from Sherrill had a rubber buffer cord in it that was supposedly needed for grizzly splicing. I wonder if grizzly spliced HRC has something like that. Vectran is colorless (natural) and I don't think it can be died. That gray part is probably not Vectran.

Dan_Watkins

this was back in July for me. it was around $25 with the grilly. just disappointed that i got no response from them

countryboypa31

I talked to New England at the Convention in Baltimore. What they told me is that they changed the core a little, and the weave slightly. They were hoping to increase the breaking strength. The problem was with the slight change in the weave it was prone to the problem shown.

They informed me that they changed back to the original core and weave. They replaced my HRC cord for me. They are extremely helpful.

lonniels

Thats good that they went back to the original weave countryboyPA31. Dan that is dissapointing, I thought they had better customer service than that.

Blinky, that core looks more grey than it is, a lot of that color comes from dirt and my gloves.

climbncut

Hey Blinky, I could use another one if you've got any nice extras layin around! The one you gave me held up better than the others I've used. I had the same problem with the grizzly spliced HRC.

I quit climbing on 10mm beeline for that exact reason. two in a row developed that bubble after a short time. They were just knotted eye N eyes no splice involved. Climbing on ice now.

Norm_Hall

When the core herniates like that, the 2 (cover/core) aren't 'balanced'. There is too much slack in the core and it has to go somewhere, so it pops out (herniates). If they are balanced, it doesn't happen.
If it's a tied hitch cord, untie 1 end and pull the core until the herniation pulls out, and retie keeping equal amounts of pressure on both cover and core. Otherwise, the core will pop out again.

banjo

[ QUOTE ]
I talked to New England at the Convention in Baltimore. What they told me is that they changed the core a little, and the weave slightly. They were hoping to increase the breaking strength. The problem was with the slight change in the weave it was prone to the problem shown.

They informed me that they changed back to the original core and weave. They replaced my HRC cord for me. They are extremely helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what I heard too. They increased the size of the core so it could be spliced and break at 5000. To make up for the increased size of the core they had to lose some in the cover, hence the hemorrhaging. The crappy stuff was a lot stiffer though which is still weird to me

Boogie

Well from the sounds of it im glad I didnt order HRC. I just ordered two more of ICE and didnt want to spend the extra for HRC. I just switched from Tenex to ICE because I would burn up Tenex in a day or two.

MaddieSMonkeY

thanks lonniels,

i was considering buying 20 ft for eye to eyes of this expensive rope...I think i'll stick with 10mm bee line

Boogie

LOL yes! I wasn't gonna post that picture because I knew someone was gonna bust my chops about it. I have a nice expensive petzl helment I wear all the time...except on that cold day were I was just seating straps for the crane. I know...I know.