Best SRT rope

I've been climbing on DRT for 5-6 years now and have just decided to expand my horizons and try some SRT. I bought a Rope Wrench and some equipment to be able to use SRT, but now i'm curious what might be the best rope to buy for SRT.

I recently was at the RMC Climbing Competition and found out the my Velocity rope is not allowed for competition use with the rope wrench, which was news to me, but again, i'm just new to this whole SRT stuff.

So i wanted to find out what people use, like, or suggest. Thanks.

I'm not on here very often, as you can see since this is my first post. haha. So i may not answer back right away, but i would like your input. Much appreciated guys. And by the way, i look forward to my first Jambo at the beginning of Sept. Stoked. And if Lawrence Schultz is on here, i plan on buying your Schultz Effect to get me some more knowledge about SRT, just need to free up some space on my computer. And I'm actually backing up my computer as we speak so i can delete some stuff to have room.

Cheers,
Josh

JustinK

I'm new to SRT as well but I'm using the wrench with Cougar and 9.3 Epi and absolutely love how it feels. In all fairness, I've only used the wrench, limitedly, with Lava and Poison Ivy and now cougar and cougar is my favorite.

I mostly use a retrievable canopy anchor.

For every person that like a specific rope you'll find one that has a different preference.

Worthaug

Cougar which is a direct copy of Yale's 11.7's is an excellent choice as well as Yale. Yale's Kernmaster and Teufelberger's Tachyon are nice to work on but too bouncy for ascent. The bounce can be limited by adding a static to the basal leg of the system or by minimizing the amount of rope in the system by canopy anchoring. I love using Escalator as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colb

Apparently I should, with both you and @oceans hounding me about it. :) But, I just bought a hook for a total crown reduction that's slaying me fat arse in the Florida summer heat. The tree has several major leaders and I only completed 1/3 of the crown on my first day. Also bought a 3/4" rope to replace the company-founding arborplex (which is rated lower mbs than my 9/16" line anyways...), some chaps, a sugoi, and one of those digitally adjusting rigging slings to replace my always-sliding terminal rigging point finger trap slings. This account is zeroed out for a couple jobs while I hunker down over my canned tuna and enjoy my hook.

Worthaug

Apparently I should, with both you and @oceans hounding me about it. :) But, I just bought a hook for a total crown reduction that's slaying me fat arse in the Florida summer heat. The tree has several major leaders and I only completed 1/3 of the crown on my first day. Also bought a 3/4" rope to replace the company-founding arborplex (which is rated lower mbs than my 9/16" line anyways...), some chaps, a sugoi, and one of those digitally adjusting rigging slings to replace my always-sliding terminal rigging point finger trap slings. This account is zeroed out for a couple jobs while I hunker down over my canned tuna and enjoy my hook.
Send me an address and I'll send you some.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Cougar which is a direct copy of Yale's 11.7's is an excellent choice as well as Yale. Yale's Kernmaster and Teufelberger's Tachyon are nice to work on but too bouncy for ascent. The bounce can be limited by adding a static to the basal leg of the system or by minimizing the amount of rope in the system by canopy anchoring. I love using Escalator as well.

Now what else can I add to this rodent's post..not much Mikey has got it covered..

colb

Now what else can I add to this rodent's post..not much Mikey has got it covered..
I didn't realize that cougar was a direct copy of the Yale 11.7. How do we know this?

I've had new tachyon in hand next to my well-used cougar and the tachyon compresses too much for my liking.

Worthaug

I didn't realize that cougar was a direct copy of the Yale 11.7. How do we know this?

I've had new tachyon in hand next to my well-used cougar and the tachyon compresses too much for my liking.
Donaghys toured the Yale factory to see the Poison Ivy, they made minor changes. Core strand size and more tension while braiding.

colb

Colb, it sounds like you may also sleep with your Hook under your pillow each night!
The hook arrives today and will probably go out grinding stumps this afternoon/evening. Any of you following me on Instagram know that I'm half way through two jobs right now after throwing a track on Sunday afternoon and huffing around my over-the-barn pecan. Good times...