Best Safety Harnesses in the Business?

Aerial_Titans

I was curious to know, Aerial Titans sells safety harnesses to our customers, but we have been told by quite a few that they aren't the most comfortable. What are some of our fellow buzzers favorite/most practical safety harness used when cutting down trees ?

When we sell Niftylift Cherry Picker Boom Lifts, customers often request the harnesses as well! We want to make everything safe and efficient so we would love feedback!

Thanks!

Aerial Titans Team

hseII

Sala Exofit if you are selling harnesses.

Buyers will need to understand they won't want to climb in a tree with a Exofit on, but if you're looking for the best Harness, look no further than a padded Exofit.

Last edited:

Aerial_Titans

Sala Exofit if you are selling harnesses.

Buyers will need to understand they won't want to climb in a tree with a Exofit on, but if you're looking for the best Harness, look no further than a padded Exofit.

Thank you for your input! We are actually researching these now and hope to soon have these available in all of our online stores!

hseII

Thank you for your input! We are actually researching these now and hope to soon have these available in all of our online stores!
Yessir.

Normally Arborist wear saddles; I'm not sure what the rules are with those lifts, i.e. if a saddle is acceptable?
But if a harness is required,

http://www.dbifallprotection.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=4

This is the most comfortable I've used working in Industrail Construction, both in a lift, & climbing around on structures.

There are more economical sources for purchase, but that gets you the info Needed to search.

Make sure you sell them with Double Lanyards.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
I looked at DBI harnesses a while ago to see if they would work for tree climbing. They are very well designed and comfortable but not fit for tree climbing

I talked with a person in their design department about making a tree saddle along the lines of their harnesses. The discussion didn't go
Far because I found that at the time
They weren't interested in our market. Too bad because I think
They would have come up with a wonderful full body saddle
For tree work

96coal449

I've worn a DBI also in construction. Commfy for sure. Safety harnesses are meant for fall arrest. Not work positioning. Sometimes when I'm ripping a steep roof I'll use my old 4 d-ringed saddle instead of a hook ladder. Easier to move around and get the job done safely. Hsell's recommendation also looks comfortable.

Edit: Just realized Hsell recommended another DBI.

flushcut

The Exofit I use is designed for work positioning as well as fall arrest. The reason I went with that design is that one could toss on spurs and a lanyard and run up a tree if need be in a pinch.

SomethingWitty

The Exofit I use is designed for work positioning as well as fall arrest. The reason I went with that design is that one could toss on spurs and a lanyard and run up a tree if need be in a pinch.
Ughhhhhh I want them to have some paws to set a rope bridge on. They're just almost perfect, except that they don't have tree work in mind.

colb

Is the simarghu saddle with chest harness added on rated for the new US ANSI/OSHA bucket standard? I kind of assume it may be, for the European equivalent...

To answer the OP, you probably need to pair up with either a tree saddle company or a skilled and knowledgeable tree climber. The less tree-oriented a company is, the worse their saddles perform in trees. There is definitely an emerging market for full body harnesses to meet the new bucket standard, and also allow a climber to bail into the tree and back. A problem you'll face is trying to sell a $700 saddle if the new standard is not enforced...

To be attractive, the saddle would need a rope bridge, an SRT ascent attachment point on the front chest, and possibly a detachment feature for the chest so that the arborist does not have to buy a separate saddle for non-bucket work.

SomethingWitty

Is the simarghu saddle with chest harness added on rated for the new US ANSI/OSHA bucket standard? I kind of assume it may be, for the European equivalent...

To answer the OP, you probably need to pair up with either a tree saddle company or a skilled and knowledgeable tree climber. The less tree-oriented a company is, the worse their saddles perform in trees. There is definitely an emerging market for full body harnesses to meet the new bucket standard, and also allow a climber to bail into the tree and back. A problem you'll face is trying to sell a $700 saddle if the new standard is not enforced...

To be attractive, the saddle would need a rope bridge, an SRT ascent attachment point on the front chest, and possibly a detachment feature for the chest so that the arborist does not have to buy a separate saddle for non-bucket work.
I would just like a SRT optimized saddle (that I can safely use for fall arrest when I need to) with more options for places for odds and ends, and maybe something that is at least as comfy as the TM.

Mine would not pay for the development of such a thing, though.

96coal449

Hey @Tony FWIW I put the ring in my pig tail saw lanyard and taped it like you did. After awhile the tape wore off so I used a small piece of tap covering half the thickness of the ring. This created a form to hold the JB Weld I used. Works great and no more tape to wear away.

Tony

Hey @Tony FWIW I put the ring in my pig tail saw lanyard and taped it like you did. After awhile the tape wore off so I used a small piece of tap covering half the thickness of the ring. This created a form to hold the JB Weld I used. Works great and no more tape to wear away.
Good idea! I'll give it a try.

If they made JB Weld in chrome, I'd open a colission repair shop!

Tony

Tony

Are you still using this harness, if so how has it held up? I am looking to replace a sequoia and would like a harness that is a little more comfortable to hang in. Also I spend most of my time in a bucket rather than climbing.

Thanks,
Justin
Yes, I still use it and am pleased with it. Need to replace my bridge, but other than that going strong

Tony

TallTreeClimber

Are you still using this harness, if so how has it held up? I am looking to replace a sequoia and would like a harness that is a little more comfortable to hang in. Also I spend most of my time in a bucket rather than climbing.

Thanks,
Justin
That harness doesn't look any more comfortable than a Sequoia. If I was trying to upgrade from a sequoia I'd get a Monkeybeaver.

Jehinten

It looks like it has semi rigid leg straps vs the sequoia that has no form to it. It's a great lightweight harness, but being light weight sacrifices support.

I'm a bigger guy, not sure how much of a difference that makes, but I can really feel it when I'm hanging from the rope in the petzl. Ascending and standing on the tree/spurs it did good.

Jehinten

I may be going to arborfest at the end of the month, so maybe I'll get to try out some harnesses there. The only local store here is a vermeer and they carry 2-3 harnesses, so there's not much of a selection

Phosphorous

Where I work arborists are required to have a D-ring on their back for aerial rescue. So all arborist saddles are also harnesses and the terms are used interchangably. Sure, they're bulky and hot in the summer but you can access a tree via bucket, set a line and hop on a branch without violating any safety guideline.

OP: I haven't tried all that many different harnesses but I liked SL Tech's Baobab, you might inspire yourself from their features.

Here's what I like on a harness:
-lots of loops for misc gear, plus small pockets on the shoulder straps (handy for that knife, tape, lighter etc. when you're putting a brace in)
-narrow pads on shoulder straps (the wider ones chafe the neck when you raise your arms)
-replaceable bridge with a ring