Best saddle for Women

rfwoodvt

Hey All,

One of the women on our ground crew is up for climbing and we've tried several saddles (Cougar, Sequoia & Navaho) but they all seem to ride very high up on her waist. I think this has a bit to do with the sizes we have, but also a lot to do with her hip to waist ratio. As you can imagine there are some comfort and other issues associated with that and we'd like to slove them.

Any suggestions as to what novice/intermediate saddles are female-body friendly?

Thanks!

I use the TM and really dig it. I know that it doesn't work for everybody though. I know some ladies who dig the ergo. If she'd like to try out the TM one weekend, we might be able to set up a rec climb this spring. I don't have a ton of free time with grad school, but we could try to work something out.

I would HIGHLY suggest she looks into the Women's Tree Climbing Workshop this fall. She'll be able to try out just about every saddle made and find the one that works best for her body type. She'll also meet a whole lot of kick ass ladies in addition. Hope that helps and good luck to her(tell her to sign up for the buzz, too!).

roxy

Even a size small in some harnesses just won't sit right on me. The best harness I've found is the TM. ErgoLite rides too high into my ribs even a small. I tried the Onyx and believe with more time and adjustment that harness would be sweet. I can climb in the Sequoia, but only if I don't have much on it (read rec climb).

X100 what Ladybird says on the WTCW. X1000.

rfwoodvt

I use the TM and really dig it. I know that it doesn't work for everybody though. I know some ladies who dig the ergo. If she'd like to try out the TM one weekend, we might be able to set up a rec climb this spring. I don't have a ton of free time with grad school, but we could try to work something out.

I would HIGHLY suggest she looks into the Women's Tree Climbing Workshop this fall. She'll be able to try out just about every saddle made and find the one that works best for her body type. She'll also meet a whole lot of kick ass ladies in addition. Hope that helps and good luck to her(tell her to sign up for the buzz, too!).
Already have her on the BUZZ! and will look into the workshop this fall. Will also PM you about a rec climb.

ARLO

I think it is hard to beat the Tree Motion. But I have had a bunch of women in my classes at OSU and a lot of them end up liking the Tree Austria. It comes in three sizes.

monkeylove

Rick, I got a size 1 Onyx she can try but it won't be free until September. I'm still dialing in my new MCRS, and bouncing between them both still.

Frank

Even a size small in some harnesses just won't sit right on me. The best harness I've found is the TM. ErgoLite rides too high into my ribs even a small. I tried the Onyx and believe with more time and adjustment that harness would be sweet. I can climb in the Sequoia, but only if I don't have much on it (read rec climb).

X100 what Ladybird says on the WTCW. X1000.
Hi Roxy, I am the designer of the Onyx and have a few changes in mind. Right now the biggest knock that I hear about the Onyx is dialing in the adjustments. Once they have found their sweet spot they love it but adjustment could be easier. I would be interested to hear some ideas that you or anyone reading this thread thinks could make a difference for the woman climber.

Frax

I'd love to try the Onyx.
Even though I've been doing this job for a decade, I've only really experienced two harnesses. The only one of note is the Sequoia. It's pretty good, and a lot of women like it. It's certainly comfortable but it has a tendency to slip down with a saw or any weight on it.
I tried the TM briefly for the first time last week and could find no fault. It was great on ascent and comfortable in the canopy. Liked it a lot. I think the lower Ds are a great idea too. If she's going to do spar work, that could be a real advantage.

macswan

Hi Roxy, I am the designer of the Onyx and have a few changes in mind. Right now the biggest knock that I hear about the Onyx is dialing in the adjustments. Once they have found their sweet spot they love it but adjustment could be easier. I would be interested to hear some ideas that you or anyone reading this thread thinks could make a difference for the woman climber.
I found the adjustment on the onyx to be infinitely easier than the tm. But that's just me,

roxy

The wtcw is in a few weeks. I should be able to revisit the Onyx if Melissa lets me fly hers again. Nora, I believe we have a couple TM to test fly, and Mr Greg Good donated a Tree Austria this year. participants would definitely benefit if we can get a few more newer harnesses donated.
So pumped!

roxy

Also, I am looking forward to meeting you Nora. I guess I missed you at Mark Prezkurats place by a whisker last spring.

roxy

Hey monkey love, that would be killer. I'll pm you an address. Me thinks you might get someone to snap it up at the WTCW.

roxy

@Frax depending on where you are in wait list you may get in. The scholarships may free up a spot and usually at least one person has to cancel. Fingers crossed for you.