Best hornet spray?

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
I never did any side by side testing. When I bought it my criteria were:

Largest volume can
Highest concentration of insecticide
Longest [claimed] spray distance

THe SOP was to grab a can, empty it on a nest, dispose of can. NO partially used cans ever went back in the truck cabinet. If one was partially emptied the can was spray painted a bright color and stored near, but boxed, in the same cabinet as the full containers.

August is always the month when the topic of hornet nests come up. There has to be a biological reason for this.

JD3000

Most well-known member
How bout when they get in the wall or siding right by the hose bib and those assholes start swarming and you cant shut it off for like hours and you spray and spray but it doesn't do shit cuz the hive or whatever is way the hell beyond where they're coming in and out and then one gets stuck in your hair so you start running running around in a serpentine manner and smacking yourself in the head to kill it while the mean old bastards at the senior center are watching this happen and say that you must be on the drugs?

Woodwork

I once bought a can of stuff, it was a white and red and black can, I think it was branded "Spectracide" but it also had a line of text in bold that talked about "47,000 volts" or words to that effect. I never understood what "47.000 volts" meant, but it knocked down the orneriest hornets you've ever seen like a shotgun.

I've bought several types/brands of hornet killer since then, but nothing nearly as effective as that stuff was. And it wasn't a foam – more of a very low-viscosity liquid, like alcohol or something.

ETA: Ha! Found it at Home Depot online!

Reach

S
I once bought a can of stuff, it was a white and red and black can, I think it was branded "Spectracide" but it also had a line of text in bold that talked about "47,000 volts" or words to that effect. I never understood what "47.000 volts" meant, but it knocked down the orneriest hornets you've ever seen like a shotgun.

I've bought several types/brands of hornet killer since then, but nothing nearly as effective as that stuff was. And it wasn't a foam – more of a very low-viscosity liquid, like alcohol or something.

ETA: Ha! Found it at Home Depot online!

Spectracide Pro is the best stuff we have ever found, it will knock the little pests right out of the sky if you can hit them. The 47,000 volts is the dielectric rating. It’s supposed to be nonconductive to 47kv, but I don’t plan to test it.

Treetopflyer

I just got wacked like three times in different places over the past three weeks. Just now outside by some play equipment at my place. They are tricky little bastards! I have a huge paper nest form giant white face Hornets in my house as decor out of respect! I removed from white pine they were in this time of year went up in there and finally saw when I was fairly close in respect to the size , it was well Hidden! I got the hell out of there quick,, pays to be tied in from the ground and able to switch from ascent to descent with seamless transition! Waited until February and got the nest.
Here's the shit I use on the job when I have to . Double pack for each truck. I can go through half a case a year. Southern coastal nj in august. Black face hornet mostly. Yellow jackets in the ground past week.

Attachments

ATH

My pop used to park under the paper nest with an open garbage can in the back of his truck at 3 a.m and pole clip the branch of nest into said can ,throw the lid on it ! As you can imagine he had varying levels of success with this trick.. hahaha.
I helped a neighbor do just about that. Nest right over the sidewalk. Went out at night. He had the lid, I had the pole pruner. Dropped it in. Lid on.

"What do I do with it now". I was going to be sunny and over 90 degrees for next few days - leave it out in the sun! Trash day was Wed...drag it to the curb if you don't hear any activity in there by then.

cerviarborist

Very stable member
The only times I've ever been stung have been when I was in a hurry and wasn't being observant. When I take my time identifying hazards, I find them, and typically can find a way to work around them without needing to eradicate them. When I tell my clients that they're there, that they're predatory and that they are keeping other insect pests in check, they're always glad that I've left the resource intact.

ATH

I've only been hit a few times doing tree work - all within a 2 month period. Best one: Removing some trees and shrubs at a McDonalds that was being remodeled. I felt a soft spot in the ground, but kept working...next thing I know I'm getting hit on the back and legs under my chaps. I took off running, dropping saw and unclipping chaps as I went. The construction workers knew exactly pretty quick what was happening and were all rolling laughing at me. They kept the drive through open and this was right by the ordering panel so we watched the next few cars order with their window barely cracked open. I soaked that nest with a can of aerosol spray then mixed up a half gallon of bifenthrin as I had that jug and a small sprayer in the trunk. No sign of them for the rest of the day I was there.

An excavator was scheduled to dig that area up the next day...the talk among the workers was to not tell him about it, so they could have more entertainment. I doubt there was anything left to cause him problems.